Dawn's seahorse garden!

I am back from a week's vacation,(which was awesome)but am happy that the ponies did well and the tank looked real good. Even the sand is clearing up.

Great shots! Your tank looks great. Awesome shot of Eve!
I feel like every shot of my tank looks the same so it never seems impressive to me except from a cleanliness standpoint. It's not totally nuisance algae free but is pretty good.

I did like the shot of Eve. I wished I had taken it after the sun went down so there wasn't a reflection.

Its been unusually hot here in western PA and the seahorse tank was almost 75°. I submerged ice bags in the DT tank. I have the chiller that I can hook up if necessary but prefer not to if possible.

I did a WC in case the heat causes an outage. They seem to be weathering the weather just fine.

2018-07-01_08-41-42 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Dawn Gilson
2018-07-01_08-44-26
Add description

Screen name or email

Include a message
2018-07-01_08-44-26 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
Here is my new tree sponge. It looks to me that it is still healthy and appears to be feeding. I am optimistic about its future in my tank.

Its been unusually hot here in western PA and the seahorse tank was almost 75°. I submerged ice bags in the DT tank. I have the chiller that I can hook up if necessary but prefer not to if possible.

I did a WC in case the heat causes an outage. They seem to be weathering the weather just fine.

2018-07-01_08-41-42 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

What is target temperature?

What is target temperature?

For H erectus seahorses the target temperature is 70°-74°. For every degree over that ideal range the pathogenic bacteria that negatively affect seahorses reproduce exponentially. Typically I keep my system running more like 70°-72° just to be safe. If I suspect a seahorse is fighting infection then I target 68°. That is another limiting factor for coral as most do not grow at their optimum rate in those temperatures. My coral are mature enough that it does not matter to me. The macro algae don't seem to mind the cooler temps at all.

For H erectus seahorses the target temperature is 70°-74°. For every degree over that ideal range the pathogenic bacteria that negatively affect seahorses reproduce exponentially. Typically I keep my system running more like 70°-72° just to be safe. If I suspect a seahorse is fighting infection then I target 68°. That is another limiting factor for coral as most do not grow at their optimum rate in those temperatures. My coral are mature enough that it does not matter to me. The macro algae don't seem to mind the cooler temps at all.

I think that macro grown at lower temperature would grow much cleaner. Yours looks magnificent.

I think that macro grown at lower temperature would grow much cleaner. Yours looks magnificent.

I never thought of that but you may be right. Also once a week I shake the macro algae that are not attached in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water. Macros that are attached get a good shaking in the tank to dislodge detritus. Thanks for the kind words.

The tank looks fantastic, as does the sponge!

I am really excited about how well this tree sponge is doing. Even a small tree sponge I got 5-6 months ago has perked up and looks better now that I am dosing Nualgi. If in a few months they continue to look so healthy I am going to order ball and frilly sponges too.

That's awesome you're having success with sponges! Combining that with macros, corals, AND seahorses successfully is unheard of! Congrats.

I've not heard of Nualgi. What's in it?

That's awesome you're having success with sponges! Combining that with macros, corals, AND seahorses successfully is unheard of! Congrats.

I've not heard of Nualgi. What's in it?
Actually in the last 3 weeks, something bad is happening to my big sponge. The one side has begun to turn white and I am pretty sure its not a good sign. So, ...its still unheard of. LOL

Nualgi was a new product about 4 years ago for helping with nuisance algae, especially on the sandbed. No one knows what is in it exactly but it was theorized that silica was a main ingredient.

Last edited:
Back