Defining the "perfect" onyx percula

BonsaiNut

Premium Member
Let's give this a try. Based on our discussion about grading clownfish, we need to have narrow descriptions of what defines each clownfish "type".

Let's keep these comments focused on body markings - i.e. striping, marking, coloration, etc. Assume that the fish we are describing has perfect conformation - i.e. perfect health, perfect body with no flaws in shape, fins, or other structure.

For me an onyx Clown has to have all black between it's stripes. That's the minimum.
Having the dorsal fin black and tail is a super onyx which are rare or takes a long time to mature to this level.

i agree on the black covering and touching all three stripes. i would also add that the other white and orange colors be bright and vivid as well. should there be a specific section for well known breeders like Sanjay's black Photons and Rods Onyx? I have a breeding pair of Rods and they are amazing. I love this thread cause i have 150 and counting Rods Onyx babies. hehe i would love to know how to grade them when its time to move them out.

I'll contribute my thoughts on the perfect Onyx when I get home from work. Working a half-day today! I'll also try to get a picture of my onyx percs as I think they're pretty close to perfect.

Super onyx eh? Does she qualify?

Heres a pic of it from the original owner. Its mine now, Just picked her up sunday.
onyx2.jpg

Yeah. That's the kind of I'm talking about!
How old is she you know? Usually, to get this much black, it takes a really long time.

Those are black and white ocellaris. Totally different species of clowns. Onyx are Percula.
The thing that's striking about the onyx is the yellow head and small part of the fin against the jet black contrast.

Yeah. That's the kind of I'm talking about!
How old is she you know? Usually, to get this much black, it takes a really long time.

I believe the original owner had it for 2 years. He originally had a pair and lost the male, and gave up searching for one to match her in quality..
She is paired up with my wild onyx that is no where as black as her, But meets the minimum requirements for a onyx,
The only thing i would not rate perfect on her is the banding, But other than that i think she is the closest a breeder is going to get to perfect. JMO
This is a cquest clown.

I believe the original owner had it for 2 years. He originally had a pair and lost the male, and gave up searching for one to match her in quality..
She is paired up with my wild onyx that is no where as black as her, But meets the minimum requirements for a onyx,
The only thing i would not rate perfect on her is the banding, But other than that i think she is the closest a breeder is going to get to perfect. JMO
This is a cquest clown.

Thanks. I had a feeling it would be of the C-Quest line. Great find!

I personally do not like the black extending forward of the first stripe.

I think the black do actually bleed toward the head when it reaches the Super onyx stage(black dorsal and black tail). Can you show me a picture of an onyx with black dorsal and tail without this?

I think the black do actually bleed toward the head when it reaches the Super onyx stage(black dorsal and black tail). Can you show me a picture of an onyx with black dorsal and tail without this?

What defines a black tail? My female onyx has a similarly black tail to the one in the picture. Still some orange in it. But the black hasn't bled so far forward on the head. Maybe that's something that comes with age?

I think it adds flavor like the chops on a picasso. Just my pref though. I would love to see an onyx with chops. LOL

That would be neat, I'd like to have one that had normal bars but had the helmet like Doni's picassos tend to have.

I have posted this picture before some say its an onxy others say its a real nice percula.....Ill let everyone decide what they should call it. Yes they were wild caught and no i dont own them anymore sold the pair.
picture.php

picture.php

Back