Did something fall inside maxima?

rsaund

I have a largish 7-8" maxima and 2 other clams, everything in my tank looks great. Parameters are normal. Yesterday my large maxima suddenly retracted and looks terrible, barely any mantle showing. He's not completely closed, but not really gaping, either.

The day before, he was fully "out" in all his glory - he has always been very healthy.

What could cause a maxima to suddenly go downhill? I am wondering if a hermit fell inside or something... Do you think I should try to gently take a forceps inside (geez that makes me squeamish!) or just watch him? Like I say, all other clams and corals look great, and this was so sudden!

Thanks!

Robin

I don't know nearly enough to advise you but I wanted to say good luck! I hope your clam recovers fully. :) Clams are the coolest!

Hi Robin,

Have you taken him out to examine him? Look at his byssal and see how that looks. Is any of his mantle out so that you can touch it and see if he retracts? How long have you had him?

Hope he/she will be ok.

Barry

I have not taken him out to examine yet. Was worried about causing too much stress, and wanted to "wait and see" for a day or so. I haven't been home yet today to check him/her.

I have had it for over a year in the same tank, and prior to that it was with another reefer for at least a couple of years. He is (or at least was) stuck to a rock. Taking him out to examine him is going to be a bit of a chore... I am worried about causing stress, but just not sure.

The weirdest thing is that there was absolutely NO slow decline. It was sudden. That's what makes me suspect an injury or something inside, rather than disease, snails, or environment..

If he's same or worse tonight, I will risk taking him out to examine.
THANKS

Robin

Robin,

If he is attached to a large rock, I think you are correct in not trying to take him out as that size of clam could tear his byssal if not careful. One thing you could try to do, if you can reach in and try to place your finger on his byssal and see if he reacts to that.

Sometimes it is REALLY hard to figure why they decline in such a short period of time. Like SPS one day they look great and the next they start to bleach. The mystery of saltwater creatures.

Robin,
Sorry to hear about the big guy. Barry is so right clams can go real fast. Please report how he is doing when you get back. Just IMO if he is not better I would remove him from the rock, look for snails, worms, holes in his shell and put him in a quarantine tank if possible. By looking him over real good and if you fine snails and etc.. This gives you the chance to help the other clams in the tank.
Jim

www.tanku.net

I am home now. Did a more thorough inspection.

The clam WAS previously attached to rock and now isn't. Non-reactive unless I actually poke the mantle. Byssus gland looks undamaged, but I did find ONE of those darn snails at the lateral edge of the byssus.

Removed the snail. I looked really closely, but didn't find others. I expect to find more when the lights are out. Will examine all clams!

For now, I put the clam on the sandbed, and he doesn't look any worse today than he did yesterday. Not gaping, just not opening fully and the mantle is retracted.

I will keep you posted.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Hope he/she will recover. If you don't have one you might get a six-line wrasse as he will help control snails.

Barry

Go figure.

I went to dinner after the last post. Came home. The clam (now sitting on the sandbed, minus one bad snail), is full out in all his glory again. Looks absolutely perfect.

I must examine him frequently for additional snails (as well as my others) until I see none for several weeks.

All I can think is that one itty bitty snail annoyed his byssus enough to make him pull off that rock. Then, he must have felt uncomfortable teetering up there?? Or the snail was still bothering him? Putting him on the sand and getting rid of the snail must have done the trick. On the other hand, I think these snails are like mice. You never have just one...

DANG

Well, I'm very happy for now. This clam looked terrible for two days in a row, could hardly see his mantle....

Go figure.

I went to dinner after the last post. Came home. The clam (now sitting on the sandbed, minus one bad snail), is full out in all his glory again. Looks absolutely perfect.

I must examine him frequently for additional snails (as well as my others) until I see none for several weeks.

All I can think is that one itty bitty snail annoyed his byssus enough to make him pull off that rock. Then, he must have felt uncomfortable teetering up there?? Or the snail was still bothering him? Putting him on the sand and getting rid of the snail must have done the trick. On the other hand, I think these snails are like mice. You never have just one...

DANG

Well, I'm very happy for now. This clam looked terrible for two days in a row, could hardly see his mantle....

Back