DIY LEDs - The write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484051#post15484051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skeptic_07
Let me see if i have this right. This unit i linked to below would only be able to power one of the LEDs I linked to above. Is that right?

http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_10852_2.jpg

yeah. how many of the LEDs are you thinking of running?? for what purpose?? dimming or no??

for my fuge lights, i am planning on (3) cree knockoffs that have a forward voltage of 3.5v @ 700ma, so thats (3.5*3=10.5v)

i am gonna use THIS $6 driver instead of a $15 buckpuck. power for it will be a 12v/800ma wall wart i have laying around

for my moonlights, i am gonna use the same configuration as above, except blue leds & the driver is similar, but 350ma output

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484098#post15484098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370

i am gonna use THIS $6 driver instead of a $15 buckpuck. power for it will be a 12v/800ma wall wart i have laying around

That driver has a max Vin of 15V DC. Be sure to test your wall wart, many "12v" wall warts are unregulated and will put out 16 or 18v.

i was hoping for like 3 or 4 and its for a fuge light. Its my first attempt at anything like this and i have an unopened processor heatsink and fan so i figured I've give it a try. I ruined a wall wart today to make the fan spin, horray!

I have a number of wall warts that I can use. One is from a JBL onstage its output 18V 0.8a. If thats no good i can go rummage through the warehouse again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484173#post15484173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
That driver has a max Vin of 15V DC. Be sure to test your wall wart, many "12v" wall warts are unregulated and will put out 16 or 18v.

yeah, since they will be on the same time schedule, i can run them off one power supply, so my other option is a power supply from mpja.com but trying to save $20 or so if i can use stuff i already have LOL

....on a budget build, it's those $20 here....$10 there.... things that kill ya
:rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484174#post15484174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skeptic_07
i was hoping for like 3 or 4 and its for a fuge light. Its my first attempt at anything like this and i have an unopened processor heatsink and fan so i figured I've give it a try. I ruined a wall wart today to make the fan spin, horray!

I have a number of wall warts that I can use. One is from a JBL onstage its output 18V 0.8a. If thats no good i can go rummage through the warehouse again.

well that adapter wouldn't work w/ the driver i posted...as DWZM said, it's max input is 15v, so the 18v would kill it more than likely

you could use it and a 700ma buckpuck & do 4 LEDs....most spec out to about 3.5v @ 700ma, so (3.5*4=14v) & that would give you a lil bit of "headroom"

the buckpuck would run ya about $20 w/ shipping for the non-dimmable version from ledsupply.com
http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-n-700.php

only problem i see is that you won't be able to run the leds & a fan on the heatsink all off that 18v/.8a adapter....not enough amperage, so either one w/ more amp output, or a seperate wall adapter for the fan

Last edited:
true that. also getting everything from the same place helps to save on shipping which is why I don't think i'll be buying anything from dealextreme because they don't have a driver i can use.

You'll likely want a separate power supply for the fan if you are using 18v for the LEDs, since an 18v wall wart will probably be around 22 - 24v in real life, which will shortly kill most 12v fans.

If you guys don't mind soldering, you can DIY a driver with more functionality than most of the expensive commercial products for $5 - $6. I know I've promised a build thread but it's really not that challenging, and IMHO would be a fun project for a 'fuge light or moonlight LED rig. The 'fuge on my nano will have a single 3-up Rebel star with a DIY driver - total cost $20 or so, which is pretty reasonable compared to a spiral compact flourescent bulb and a clip-on socket/reflector as most people use. Plus it'll be smaller and use less power.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484221#post15484221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370

only problem i see is that you won't be able to run the leds & a fan on the heatsink all off that 18v/.8a adapter....not enough amperage, so either one w/ more amp output, or a seperate wall adapter for the fan [/B]

I have a separate wallwart that i'm using for the fan. Its a puny one 7.5v and 150 ma. I should loot the warehouse more.....

a DIY LED driver... I'm interested!

ok so now i found one that is 12V and 1000ma its from a linksys router that someone returned.

Last edited:
yeah, not tooo much of a price difference in the dealextreme LEDs & the crees from ledsupply....especially if already getting the driver from them since they charge a flat $5 for shipping & no overseas delivery to wait a week or more to arrive

That would be even easier and cheaper. You could also use an LM317 in constant current mode. Again, easy and cheap, but not the most efficient approach - which doesn't really matter when you're only driving a few LED for a 'fuge.

skiptic....have you read the Ultimate LED Thread over on nano-reef? it goes into all the different elements & has some great links in it for all the different components

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186982

you'll have to copy the above link & then change the reefcentral to nano-reef since the forum code here automatically changes it :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484366#post15484366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skeptic_07
are these anything to speak of?

http://ledsupply.com/05027-pwc4-180.php

seems like lots of output
those are the 3-up rebels he (DWZM) was talking about using for his fuge light

Last edited:
Not quite. That link is to the Luxeon K2 TFFC, a different (larger) LED more closely related to the Luxeon I, III, and V LEDs.

The Rebel is also made by Luxeon, but it's a totally different chip in a much smaller package, and is more efficient than any of the above-mentioned products. The TFFC K2 is around 60 lumens/watt at best, while the XR-E and Rebel are both around 90 lumens/watt at best.

IMHO, the "best" LEDs for these builds are high-bin XR-E from Cree, or high-bin Rebels from Luxeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back