DIY Natureef Style Denitrator Build and Data thread...

Thank you.
I am bumping methanol dose by 10%.
Circulation AND bacteria are more than adequate
Thank you very much

I might add if you're using strontium nitrate, then you would want your Nitrate cycle to finish at least an hour before the next flush, to get the most out of phosphate removal. (source DrT)

I have been needing to add much more than the normal amount of methanol to get my chamber to cycle during the initial setup. I'm on my third cycle and I don't think the other two would have ever finished without adding additional methanol. Is this normal in the beginning when working up to the three cycles a day?

I have been needing to add much more than the normal amount of methanol to get my chamber to cycle during the initial setup. I'm on my third cycle and I don't think the other two would have ever finished without adding additional methanol. Is this normal in the beginning when working up to the three cycles a day?

What is your current Nitrate level in your Display tank?
What test kit are you using?
How much methanol are you dosing per cycle?
How big is your chamber?

Nitrates in the display are 10-15, I use salifert kits. Dosing 6ml of 50/50 methanol/rodi mix in a 15 gallon chamber.

DIY Natureef Style Denitrator Build and Data thread...

Is there a way or better yet a correlation between a decrease in redox and end of denitrator cycle?
Asking because I have a spare redox probe, wondering if measuring drop in redox might indicate when denitrator is ready to cycle?
Thank you

Is there a way or better yet a correlation between a decrease in redox and end of denitrator cycle?
Asking because I have a spare redox probe, wondering if measuring drop in redox might indicate when denitrator is ready to cycle?
Thank you

My research tells me the denitrator will cycle when the reading is negative.....around -(100-200). I've never been able to see this in practice though. The APEX ORP meter will not go negative. I'd be happy to send you an article on it though.

Please do. My Profilux does read negative values.
I have an extra redox that I can put in the denitrator chamber to measure values and report back.

Reason I ask is because my probes for the Profilux are in the sump around the area where the denitrator outflow pump empties. When it does, I can see my values go down to around -60. Wondering if I place my extra redox probe inside the chamber I can see if the values drop and correlate them with the end of the cycle!

Reason I ask is because my probes for the Profilux are in the sump around the area where the denitrator outflow pump empties. When it does, I can see my values go down to around -60. Wondering if I place my extra redox probe inside the chamber I can see if the values drop and correlate them with the end of the cycle!

Emailed you Klostermann's article from FAMA that he wrote in the 1990's.

Your idea should work, at least for a few cycles. Once the bacteria start overgrowing the probe I'm not sure the readings will be accurate.

Anyone?

I have had that issue, especially this last time I started back up. I found myself throwing the instructions out the window and adding methanol like nobody's business in order to get through the cycle. Seems to match my experience. I had to add about 6-10ml more than expected on most cycles, until I reached my daily cycle.

In my case I lowered from 7.5 ml pure methanol per cycle to 2ml per cycle, once I reached 3 cycles a day. It's a 12g chamber. Cleaning chamber every week due to massive bacteria growth

Lately my denitrater has been working too well....my cycle finishes in about 3 hours. Been decreasing my dose. Currently at 1.6ml of pure methanol per cycle (4 x day)

Lately my denitrater has been working too well....my cycle finishes in about 3 hours. Been decreasing my dose. Currently at 1.6ml of pure methanol per cycle (4 x day)

Damn Doc. I wish I could be at 3 times a day!
I do think by next week I should be able to go up to three times a day!
Keeping my fingers crossed!

Back