DIY Natureef Style Denitrator Build and Data thread...

Chamber flushed at 6:00am. Checked at 9:00am, API reading 0, Red Sea reading 1 ppm.
Need to solve before Football Sunday. My husband already running investigation why FPL bill is $451.00. I don't need investigation on who pass gas.:deadhorse:

I'm flushing 4x a day. Dosing 3ml 50/50 methanol per cycle. Should I lower to 1.5? I read nitrates 4x yesterday chamber and sump and read 0.

You'll need to lower the methanol dose. You could cut the mixture in 1/2 (25%) and dose 5ml.

Do you use strontium? (Phosphagone)

I also cycle mine 4x day and lately mine has been cycling in 4 hours. I've noticed it will go a into sulfur also. Lowering methanol dose is best solution. If you dose strontium you could dose it later in the cycle.

:wave::wave::wave: Hi Dr. Thompson, I'm glad nothing wrong with chamber. I need more strontium so will get in touch with you.
Thanks

Hi all, have a quick question, planning to build a similar denitrator but I have some difficulties on finding egg crate, simply not available in my town and no one ships it unless I buy 10-15 large sheets. As an alternative, was considering bioballs, if possible, connecting them to each other like lego pieces to create a wall. What do you think? Can it function similarly?

Hi all, have a quick question, planning to build a similar denitrator but I have some difficulties on finding egg crate, simply not available in my town and no one ships it unless I buy 10-15 large sheets. As an alternative, was considering bioballs, if possible, connecting them to each other like lego pieces to create a wall. What do you think? Can it function similarly?

The bacteria biomass that grows in these chambers is very thick and viscous. You really need larger holes for it to accumulate. You also need good flow In the chamber to carry the methanol you'll be dosing. Try to find some plastic grid pattern product to ad to the chamber. Best to lines the walls and not to put much in the middle since it will impede the water flow. Off the top of my head - cut up a plastic hamper or plastic basket; I'm sure you can be more creative.

If your still crazy about bio balls, maybe cut them in 1/2 And use them to line sides wall but leave holes as much as possible maybe a grid pattern. You could consider super gluing them to the walls if your chamber is plastic or acrylic.

I hope this helps :)

The bacteria biomass that grows in these chambers is very thick and viscous. You really need larger holes for it to accumulate. You also need good flow In the chamber to carry the methanol you'll be dosing. Try to find some plastic grid pattern product to ad to the chamber. Best to lines the walls and not to put much in the middle since it will impede the water flow. Off the top of my head - cut up a plastic hamper or plastic basket; I'm sure you can be more creative.

If your still crazy about bio balls, maybe cut them in 1/2 And use them to line sides wall but leave holes as much as possible maybe a grid pattern. You could consider super gluing them to the walls if your chamber is plastic or acrylic.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks Dr T., I will look more for other alternatives. Unfortunately, I have no chance to mount such denitrator unit, permanently. Instead, plan to use a mobile plastic rectangular container, after bacteria develop and cycle completed in another corner of house, will bring it to aquarium and flush. I hope it works this way. Instead of using expensive test kits, I normally track nitrate and nitrite "succesfully" with using JBL 6in1 strips over two years (For who wonder how, move strip back and forth in tank for 3 secs, shake outside to get rid of excess water, gently touch sides and back of strip to a paper towel to take remaining water droplets, give it 5 min (4-6 is ok) and then read).

Another question is, if anybody else tried this with vinegar dosing?

Attachments

• strip.jpg
    strip.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks Dr T., I will look more for other alternatives. Unfortunately, I have no chance to mount such denitrator unit, permanently. Instead, plan to use a mobile plastic rectangular container, after bacteria develop and cycle completed in another corner of house, will bring it to aquarium and flush. I hope it works this way. Instead of using expensive test kits, I normally track nitrate and nitrite "succesfully" with using JBL 6in1 strips over two years (For who wonder how, move strip back and forth in tank for 3 secs, shake outside to get rid of excess water, gently touch sides and back of strip to a paper towel to take remaining water droplets, give it 5 min (4-6 is ok) and then read).

Another question is, if anybody else tried this with vinegar dosing?

I'm not sure a Denitrator is for you. For a denitrator to function properly it should be tied into your system and automated. For best results your goal should be to cycle thru at least 10% water volume per day to control nitrates; usually cycling twice daily is sufficient. At optimum conditions, the heterotropic bacteria in the chamber will double every 20-30minutes. This means once the denitrator has matured it should complete a cycle in 4-6 hours.

My chamber is about 12gal. I currently cycle it 4 times a day(every 6 hours). My nitrates in my display tank consistently read 1-2.5ppm using low reading on Salifert test kit. I have 30 fish in a 200gal reef system and feed 8-10 cubes of frozen food per day. I don't see how I could run my denitrator without automation.

My advise would be to research vodka or vinegar dosing. You can manually dose directly into the tank without the need of a chamber or automation.

Seems like someone is confusing methods...

Those test strips are great for someone cycling a chamber....
Tip: Cut them in half length wise and double your amount of test strips...

I have been running the natureef reactor using the their nitragone and phosphagone for a little over a year and it works great. however, I am experiencing for the 2nd time now the dying off of my entire bacterial population in the reactor. any thoughts as to why this is happening?

I have been running the natureef reactor using the their nitragone and phosphagone for a little over a year and it works great. however, I am experiencing for the 2nd time now the dying off of my entire bacterial population in the reactor. any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Could be lack of flow. If you see a bunch of the large biomass clumps at the top 2" of your reactor then this is the case. When there is not enough flow thru the chamber the nitragone only gets utilized at the top 2" where the bacteria then grow and multiply and the rest of the chamber starves.

Are you using the stock pump from natureef? IME they do not provide enough flow for the chamber. The best pump is a WP10 or large koralia type pump.

Could be lack of flow. If you see a bunch of the large biomass clumps at the top 2" of your reactor then this is the case. When there is not enough flow thru the chamber the nitragone only gets utilized at the top 2" where the bacteria then grow and multiply and the rest of the chamber starves.

Are you using the stock pump from natureef? IME they do not provide enough flow for the chamber. The best pump is a WP10 or large koralia type pump.

I'm using a maxi jet 900 or 1200 can't remember which one and I have the described biomass. Pretty sure I have a koralia laying around. Should I drain, clean and start over?

I'm using a maxi jet 900 or 1200 can't remember which one and I have the described biomass. Pretty sure I have a koralia laying around. Should I drain, clean and start over?

No need to drain, just remove the large clumps of biomass from the top and install the koralia. You may need to manually cycle it for a few days until it's cycling normally.

DIY Natureef Style Denitrator Build and Data thread...

Great thank you! Last question...lid or no lid on the reactor?

Back