DIY Quality Fish & Coral Food

BobbyV

Established since 2008
I have done research to discover a simple affordable recipe.

Disclaimer, I am not responsible for your home "reeking of stank" and your significant other becoming upset.

I have a utility sink and work area in my garage, so I highly encourage you to consider not doing this in the house.

Also use a beat up old blender.

The amount of food this recipe will make are 5 single gallon freezer ziplock bags. Roughly 75 oz's.

The ingredients I used cost me about $70.

This recipe will of course evolve and be revised as I learn more, so feel free to share your thoughts and offer constructive feedback for all of us interested.

Please keep in mind, my goal is a good quality staple food recipe and bang for my buck. No Lobster!

The List:

• 2lbs of mussels
  • 2lbs of clams
  • 15 giant shrimp
  • 8 oz of oysters
  • 4 carrots
  • 1 half head of broccoli
  • 1 bottle of Selcon
  • 1 250ml SeaChem Reef Plus (awesome stuff, vitamin/mineral supplement)
  • 1 Bottle of BRS Reef Chili (awesome stuff)
  • Garlic juice/additive
  • 1 6oz Oyster Feast (optional, I had some left over)
  • Freeze dried Cylop-Eeze (optional, I had some left over)

BRS Reef Chili contains all of the essential ingredients:

Bio-engineered Zooplankton
Spray Dried Phytoplankton
Freeze Dried Rotifers
Freeze Dried Copepods
Dried Daphnia
Spirulina Powder
Artemia Nauplii replacement diet

Selcon is a good Omega-3 Fatty Acid, Vitamin B12 & Vitamin C Booster Supplement.

Selcon enriched foods are claimed to enhance colors in fish and coral.

But more importantly I read somewhere that is a good food for supporting the life you don't see such as pods/brine shrimp.

If you have wrasses, pods are a nice treat for them so why not use it if you can.

Last edited:
The Best Tool to shuck mussels.

5/9 Way Tool

Make the bags nice and thin. You will break off pieces once frozen.

The key is to break with your fingers. Too thick = no bueno!

Last edited:
Does morton's salt work well for reef tanks or just FOWLR?

Seriously, I am going to have to try your recipe, very nice.

That's some nice work.. Make up a small sandwich bag size of it and I'd throw you a ten spot.

Thank you for support .. .. .. I never thought of selling this food which is why I made the recipe as transparent as possible.

I wanted to share with fellow hobbiest my "11 secret herbs and spices".

Each 1 gallon ziplock is about 15 -16 oz's.

Last edited:
Expensive ingredients, but it will prob last me years.

So in other words NICE JOB!!!

Thank you for your enthusiasm.

Yea depending on your feeding regiment supply will vary.

However you know exactly what is going into your tank.

My whole goal was to put together a straight forward no nonsense recipe.

- Variety of proteins which can be changed up per availability.

- The only two veggies that actually were proven to be beneficial.

- Reef Plus was the coral booster "steroid" I was looking for to add some "kick".

- Reef Chili and Selcon for additional diet support.

- Garlic to combat potential outbreaks of ich and support fish immunity.

"No nonsense"

Nice diy fish and coral food, careful using bottled or bagged seafood as they contain phosphates or nitrates as a preservative, its the main reason I haven't tried making a few different recipes, that and I don't want to deal with the smell Lol

Nice diy fish and coral food, careful using bottled or bagged seafood as they contain phosphates or nitrates as a preservative, its the main reason I haven't tried making a few different recipes, that and I don't want to deal with the smell Lol

Thank you for the heads up.

Yep my hand still smell. I advise latex gloves!

Last edited:
Nice recipe. Thanks for sharing it. My fish would be spoiled if I made this. All they get right now is pellets and nori.

Come up with a label like Dr. Vs or Bobby's Appollo Beach Food.
And the symbol has to gave to power plant smoke stacks or your favorite hot rod.

Some great tips here. I've been making my food for years. I've been trying to think of a way to finely slice the food to avoid the liquid as I feel it just adds nutrients without much to consume. I did RO/di rinse and press one batch. Came out very clean but was a pain to do.

My Recipe is similar, but I am a huge fan of selcon; used it for 8 years and haven't had a single fish die to disease. Only lost fish due to my mistakes, aggression, and a couple refused to eat.

And sulfites or bleach... Buy fresh and read the labels. I've seen SumthinTriPhosphate as a preservative in prepackaged shrimp. Not sure what the sumthin was but the that's 3 more phosphates than I like to add.
Nice post BobbyV.

$ Tip - get your shrimp from a local bait shop - cheaper in most cases.

Jumbos are like $3/dozen. No preservatives and it doesn't get much fresher than live ones.

Rinse them well - a million stressed shrimp in 100 gal of water doesn't make for the most sanitary take home water.

Back