DIY Stands Template and Calculator

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432061#post14432061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhodes19
Hi All,

I'm looking for conformation that I will not be doing something stupid when I make my stand. I have a 180 g tank that is 72" x 24" x 24" and was thinking of using 2x6s for the top frame and 2x4s for the rest of the stand. I will probably have a vertical 2x4 in the center of the frames for support and to have something to hang the doors on. I'll skin it with 1/4" plywood. Am I on the right track? Also, I would like to put some molding on the stand high enough to hide the black plastic trim of the tank. What is the best way of doing that? Was thinking of putting the tank flush with the front of the top 2x6 and attach the molding over the top of the 1/4" plywood. Is there a better/cleaner looking way? Thanks.

Anyone?

what kind of material is everyone using for the sump floor and the top where the tanks sits?

would this be good. its 7/16 inch
0221091458.jpg

and would just attach it with nails?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14449731#post14449731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Heavy Hittah
what kind of material is everyone using for the sump floor and the top where the tanks sits?

would this be good. its 7/16 inch
0221091458.jpg

and would just attach it with nails?

I think OSB would swell up after getting wet a bunch of times, plywood would be a better choice although probably a few (but not a lot) more money. That's my 2 cents worth.

I think somewhere in thie long post it was stated if your tank has a frame you do not need a top. My tank does not have any frame other then glass so I am using plywood along with fome.

yea if the tank has a plastic trim (AGA i know has them) then you dont need a top for it to sit on. but if its acrylic or is just all glass then it needs to sit on something.

I'd put plywood on top no matter what. The difference being, if there's no frame on the tank, you need foam too.

Bump one more time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432061#post14432061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhodes19
Hi All,

I'm looking for conformation that I will not be doing something stupid when I make my stand. I have a 180 g tank that is 72" x 24" x 24" and was thinking of using 2x6s for the top frame and 2x4s for the rest of the stand. I will probably have a vertical 2x4 in the center of the frames for support and to have something to hang the doors on. I'll skin it with 1/4" plywood. Am I on the right track? Also, I would like to put some molding on the stand high enough to hide the black plastic trim of the tank. What is the best way of doing that? Was thinking of putting the tank flush with the front of the top 2x6 and attach the molding over the top of the 1/4" plywood. Is there a better/cleaner looking way? Thanks.

Someone please reassure me that these gaps are not that bad. can i still fill them in with siliconized latex caulk? one side is not touching the 2x4 but it is very close.
0223091712.jpg

0223091711a.jpg

I cut some wood at an angle with the miter saw and sort-of shimmed/wedged the wood in the gap, then I caulked the cracks-I am going to put some vinyl flooring in to make clean ups easier-I should have waited on the caulk until after the flooring- I figure you want it water tight anyway so water doesnt get where you cant clean.

IMG_3706.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14461643#post14461643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhodes19
Bump one more time.

I did not skin mine with plywood- I used 1"x 6" and 1"x 4" pine boards(lowes and home depot have wide variety of sizes precut)
I am sure plywood would work well-I just wanted to avoid having to cut a square hole in plywood for the cabinet opening.

To hide the tank frame-you could skin the front and sides so the plywook covers the inch or two of frame and then trim it with what ever you want-you could use the trim itself as the cover and just fasten it to the height that would cover the frame.

I just tried to place things and sort of get a visual of how it would look and here is how I did it:

IMG_3743.jpg

It is a pretty thick border but without the tank on it yet Its hard to say-with a 180 gallon you should be able to get away with that kind of border.

Finally started my build last night. Got the top and bottom frames built. Hope to have the rest of the frame built and ready for paint by the end of the weekend. I have not decided on the skin yet. Still debating whether to go in wall or not.

To build these I am working in my neighbors shop. He has all the tools needed including some nifty 90 degree corner jigs to help keep it all straight.

Heavy Hittah, I personally would redo that piece. Only real reason is the one end that does not touch the 2X4. No that a sumo is going to be extremly heavy, but you don't want to risk anything. All the other gaps can be filled in using an industrial glue that hardens, like liquid nails or the like. This will basically make it very rigid and strong while filling in the gaps.

Matt

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14465852#post14465852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buccard
I did not skin mine with plywood- I used 1"x 6" and 1"x 4" pine boards(lowes and home depot have wide variety of sizes precut)
I am sure plywood would work well-I just wanted to avoid having to cut a square hole in plywood for the cabinet opening.

To hide the tank frame-you could skin the front and sides so the plywook covers the inch or two of frame and then trim it with what ever you want-you could use the trim itself as the cover and just fasten it to the height that would cover the frame.

I just tried to place things and sort of get a visual of how it would look and here is how I did it:

IMG_3743.jpg

It is a pretty thick border but without the tank on it yet Its hard to say-with a 180 gallon you should be able to get away with that kind of border.

Roger,

Thanks for your response and for the picture. Its worth a 1000 words. I've been thinking about using board wood vs plywood. As long as it looks like furniture, my wife will be happy!!! I like your trim work as well. The thicker trim will look good with my tank. I'm going to start the frame this weekend between my honey do list and band practice and try to skin it during the week.

Thanks again for your help and for the picture. I greatly appreciate it.

Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14495529#post14495529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhodes19
Roger,

Thanks for your response and for the picture. Its worth a 1000 words. I've been thinking about using board wood vs plywood. As long as it looks like furniture, my wife will be happy!!! I like your trim work as well. The thicker trim will look good with my tank. I'm going to start the frame this weekend between my honey do list and band practice and try to skin it during the week.

Thanks again for your help and for the picture. I greatly appreciate it.

Chris

Glad I could help-keep posting on your progress-I would like to see what you come up with.

I built a stand with the crown of the board up. Would that put undo stress on the tank? With the tank empty, there is a gap on both sides of the tank since the crown is supporting the middle.

I went ahead and filled it up watching the gaps on each side to see if the would shrink. I have a bulkhead on the bottom ready to drain into the basement sump should I need to. One side shrank and the other side still has a hairline gap. Should I shim it? Drain the tank and shave down the crown?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14321067#post14321067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by audiophile42
Is pocket drilling just screwing two pieces of wood together at an angle, like this?

pocket-hole2.jpg

As a bit of a note from a true dyed in the wool cabinet maker, while that is a pocket hole in the picture, that is a drywall screw stuck in it, and that type of screw, used in a pocket hole *can* cause the joint to fail, because it wedges the wood at the joint, where as the screw that should be used with a pocket hole joint has a flat bearing surface, to match the bottom of the pocket as cut by the jig's drill bit. Also, there are two different pitches of pocket hole screw, depending on what kind/type of wood you are fastening.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14499185#post14499185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buccard
Glad I could help-keep posting on your progress-I would like to see what you come up with.

Will do, and thanks again. I'm going to Lowes to get my wood and start making the frame. I'll take pictures and post them as I go. Thanks

Chris :)

Back