DIY Stands Template and Calculator

I am going to be setting up a 360+ gallon acrylic tank 96" x 30" x 29". The overflow's are on the right side and in the middle of the 29". Using this thread as a guide this is what I have came up with. My question is should the end support be supported from the bottom as well? What would you do different? The entire thing will be covered in plywood as well.
StandConcept.jpg

I think the design is sound except for the right end, and the number of cross members.

You've got a single horizontal piece (27" long" (28.5" long if you use 1x4's)) a few inches from the end, but it can't support much weight because it doesn't have any legs under its ends. You've got legs under the two little horizontal piecs at the end, but they don't span the whole 27" gap. What you need is a 27" long horizontal piece that spans the whole gap, and has legs under each of its ends. Since this is an acrylic tank, with a flat bottom (no raised rim) It doesn't matter much if that 27" long beam is a few inches from the end, or right at the end, but it needs a leg under each end of it.

The bottom of an acrylic tank wants to sag, especially if it's 30" wide, so you need to make sure that the top of your stand won't sag. Plywood sags, so the cross members will need to be able to support some weight, and be around 16" apart or less. With only two cross members, you'll have spans between them of around 28", so I recommend that you put five cross members between the two end beams, instead of just two, which will leave about 14.25" between them (or 15.125" if you use 1x4's). The end of each cross member must be joined well to the inside of the 96" long beams because each of the five cross member will be supporting about 400 lbs (some could support more if weight isn't evenly distributed). I suggest you use 2x3's or 2x4's for the cross members (even if you use 1x4's for the rest of the stand) and use galvanized steel joist hangers to attach the cross members. Some other types of joints, done properly, would work too, but I don't have the tools and know-how, so I go with joist hangers (just make sure they don't get wet and rust out).

You didn't say what size lumber you plan to use. I ran the numbers and according to the equation for deflection, since you'll never have an unsupported span longer than 28.75", you can use 1x4's or larger, or 2x3's or larger (Assuming that you can find straight lumber in those sizes, without splits or knots). You can use 2x4's if that's easier, but anything larger than that is overkill. I'd either go with 1x4's or 2x4's (2x3's work, but with 1x4's or 2x4's there's more room for building errors). 1x4's resist deflection much better than 2x3's, so you aren't cutting it close if you use 1x4's.

Thanks you for the replies. I will try to get some pics posted up of the bulkheads so you can see what I am dealing with. My plan was to use 2 x 6's for the top two long rails and 2 x 6's on the ends. I would be happier if I could get away with all 2 x 4's so I would have extra space underneath.

It would be almost the same as the pic a couple of posts up. I realize now why not to use wood as the color. It's hard to see the lines. I will redraw and post it up with corrected colors this weekend. I sat on the fence about how many supports I would need running accross it so I am glad I posted the questions.

Great Thread!

I am starting a new build. I have an AGE aquarium,

L - 70
W- 30
D -30

The bottom is pvc and the glass is starphire. It will be setup on my concrete floor in my basement.

What would you recommend for a stand? Tanks in advance!

Someone was debating with me that using a nail gun is better than using screws to build a stand. Anyone input in this?

screws are weak and snap easily :hmm3: that is why you cant build houses with screws or use them for metal bracket/nail plate fastening put a 3 inch gold screw into a 2x4 and hit it sideways with a hammer :) it will snap clean off at the wood 90% of the time i would use 1 screw to suck metal clips and brackets together and finish it with 1 1/4" structrual nails

nail gun would work but since this is more of a finish /fine type of job you better use ring shank nailsor your gonna see some pull out/looseness from regualr 16's

lol 2nd edit :p dont screw 2 screws into each 2x at the same having 2 screws at the same level on a piece of wood leaves tons of moveable play in it put 3 screws in a triangle shape the "top" screw will make the joint soooo much stronger to side to side movement

And for people putting tanks on concrete floors if your seriously going to take hours to plane the stand to the floor dont waste your time self leveler is sooo much easier put a piece of metal lathe into it though if its getting thick

Last edited:
TardFarmer,
I would suggest the top frame as 2x8 or use a cetner leg front and back and use 2x6s.
I agree that you should use 2x8's for the basic four leg design, but 2x4's are fine if you add center legs.

At those dimensions, the tank could weigh as much as 3275 lbs. Since the bottom is PVC, you'll need to support the whole bottom of the tank, not just aound the edges, so you'll need 27" cross members running between the front and back 70" top beams. These cross members will hold a lot of weight, so attach them well, and use at least three of them, in addition to the two 27" long side beams. The three cross members can be 2x4's, and I like to attach them with joist hangers at each end. If you use the design given at the beginning of this thread, the stand would have only four legs, each made of two 2x4's, and you would need to use 2x8's for the four top horizontal beams. that would leave a span of 60" between the two front legs. If you add a vertical 2x4 leg in the middle of each of the 70" long beams, then you can use 2x4's instead of 2x8's for the four top horizontal beams. That would only leave openings in front that are 28.25" wide, so hard to get a large sump through. A 2x4 beam can easily handle a 37" span between legs, and a 2x6 can handle 49", so if you want to be able to get sumps unto the stand that are more than 28" long, then instead of adding a 2x4 leg in the middle of the 70" long top front beam, add two 2x4 legs with 37" between them, or use 2x6's for the top four beams and leave a 49" span between the two additional front legs (or use 2x8's for the beams and just have four legs (60-63" span between them) and use the original design.

used this layout for a new stand it works great ! had lowes precut all my ply and skin and took me about about 5 hours to frame and skin went with 40tallx20deepx48wide for a 29 gallon tank :) overrrrrkill lol this thing could hold up my car but now i have plenty of work space thx For the plan rocket!

just wanted to post my results.

I haven't skinned it/put cabinet doors on it yet.

I could have used something lighter than 2x4's for a 35 gallon, but it was just easy this way.

I'm sure it could probably hold way, way more than 35 gallons.

I used 8x2.5 inch high performance construction screws and Carpenters glue (cabinet makers, 2 ton bond strength) at every joint/seam.

The entire thing cost less than 20 bucks so far

uhU5O.jpg

OeQ1l.jpg

kAoQ4.jpg

Here's one I had built for me for a Miracles 144.

DSC02724.jpg

Stand is 66x21 and about 34" tall. Double 2x6 runners and crossbraces, a 2x6 and 2x4 leg frame in each corner, single 2x4 base so it could fit the sump, plus it's on slab on grade concrete with low-pile office carpet.

He didn't build it exactly as I specified, but pretty good. I would have done it myself but it's not for me so I wanted someone with liability insurance to do it in case anything went wrong - CYA...

But, if I had to have it done again, I would be much more specific about a couple things...

What's the solution if the bulkheads hit the frame? I thought I saw it in this thread, but can't find the post. Is the only option to cut out the section and have 2 vertical supports? Tank builder says I have 1" from edge of glass to bulkhead. Tank is a 62x28x22. I had planned on using 2x8 to construct the frame, or doing an all plywood stand. Thanks!

I built a stand with front doors, and doors on both sides. I followed most of the original design at the top of this thread, but I have no middle supports in the front or rear. The tank is a 150 (high) and I used 2x4 for the legs and bottom frame, and 2x6 for the top frame. How can I prevent it from twisting without skinning the stand, since I have doors on the sides.

91, you may want to consider a new tank builder. If the bulkhead is only one inch from the edge of the tank you maybe asking for trouble (unless it is a really small diameter - less than an inch). Bulkheads should be a distance of 1.5 hole diameters from the edge. Is it glass or acrylic? Is it framed (how wide)?

If you can handle 1/2 edge and the frame sits on the 1 inch left you are probably good. If it is not framed or acrylic then you will need plywood and cross bracing and probably also also.

markster, I don't have any skins and it hold fine. However, can you get some plywood triangles in the back? Of a 1x2 diagonal in the back and maybe one side? That would help a lot if you are worried.

markster, I don't have any skins and it hold fine. However, can you get some plywood triangles in the back? Of a 1x2 diagonal in the back and maybe one side? That would help a lot if you are worried.

Or install some stainless cables inside diagonally to make some X's in the top half. That still gives you access.

I built a stand with front doors, and doors on both sides. I followed most of the original design at the top of this thread, but I have no middle supports in the front or rear. The tank is a 150 (high) and I used 2x4 for the legs and bottom frame, and 2x6 for the top frame. How can I prevent it from twisting without skinning the stand, since I have doors on the sides.

The tacking strips, if installed correctly, are supposed to be enough to prevent wracking, but if you want to make it even stronger, without skinning you can cut an 8" long section of 2x2 for each 90 angle where a leg meets a beam, but cut each end at 45 degrees so you get a piece that looks sort of like this:
.___________
/___________\

It will be 8" on the long side and 5 7/8" on the short side. Then put that piece in the corner made by the leg and the beam, and attach it with one screw at each end (put in perpendicular to the beam/leg). You can buy a plastic miter box saw for a few dollars at Home Depot to make the cuts, I'd use one of these at every 90 degree angle in the horizontal plane, except maybe at the bottom in front. That would be 14 total, so you would need a 10' long 2x2. That would make the stand rock solid.

Back