DIY Stands Template and Calculator

Not a foot. It is a good 4 foot Johnson level. Front to back on the one side is just a 1/8 off. I will try to post a picture of it tonight.

Heres mine almost done. We just have to put the laminate sides on it yet.
My hubby and I never built anything before this.
He built it and I sanded and stained it. I did the boards individually so it would be easier.
I used general finishes georgian cherry stain and gf arm r seal topcoat.
We used maple boards for the front and maple plywood for the sides. I was lucky and got the doors at a restore for 50 cents each. I sanded them down and restained them.
Thanks to this thread we have a nice looking stand.

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

kass

Wow, you guys did a wonderful job! I just finished my stands as well.

Are you going to paint the 2x4s? Unpainted wood can hold moisture, so if your sump is going in there it might be a good idea. Looks great though

Thanks, I'm surprised myself how good it turned out.
No, I'm just using it for storage. I'm not having a sump. I get asked why all the time lol.
I'm replacing my 29 year old 55g reef with a 75g. I have a mini reef h.o.b. filter that was made for a reef already on there and it's like a h.o.b. sump. It's big and not like those cheapy freshwater ones. I paid $400 for it used 29 years ago and it serves my purpose.
It has an overflow and the siphen doesnt break when the power goes out. It has 2 hagen 802 pumps that run it.
I'm also getting an octopus h.o.b. cone skimmer with a bb pump for it to replace my remora so I'm good.
I have a sump on my 150 so know what's it's like. If I did'nt have my h.o.b. filter I would have drilled it and used a sump definately.

I also wanted to use countertop cuz I get my wood wet on my other stands all the time.

kass

I'd like to build a stand for a 300g DD Marineland (72x36). Is the design in the first page ok or should I put more supports ("œlegs") in the middle?
Should I use 2x6 or 2x8? Or a combination?

Thanks

I'd like to build a stand for a 300g DD Marineland (72x36). Is the design in the first page ok or should I put more supports ("œlegs") in the middle?
Should I use 2x6 or 2x8? Or a combination?

Thanks

As per the first page, the top frame should be 2X8 and the rest 2X4. You don't need a center support.

RocketEngineer

I would like to share something very important that I recently learned that was a complete surprise to me as I thought what I knew was 100% correct. I had always thought that glass tanks with a bottom plastic trim did not need or even benefit at all from sitting on a flat board (ie 1/2 inch plywood) with white styrofoam on top. Reason being the plastic trim supports the weight of tank and bottom glass panel is suspended in air. Well, when I questioned Miracles why a portion of my front panel was raised 1/8 inch off the stand, they replied that the twisting is normal but that the tank and trim should rest on 1/2 inch plywood and 5/8 inch white styrofoam. This info is not advertised or documented on their own set up instruction/warranty sheet. They do actually recommend the RC DIY stand instructions (which, please correct me if I'm wrong) does not call for the board and styro for glass tanks.

As per the first page, the top frame should be 2X8 and the rest 2X4. You don't need a center support.

RocketEngineer

thanks for the reply. Also should the top frame be the exact same dimensions as the bottom of the tank? I was thinking in making it 1" bigger all around (73x37 for a tank 72x36) to be safe.

jt,
That contradict what I was told about 4 foot tanks (different manufacturer maybe). Was that statement for large tanks or all tanks?

I need validation. I got a 150g tank 48x36x20. Should I make the top frame of the stand with 2x8s or are 2x6 plenty enough? I seem to be at the limit of your chart. What would you do?

You could use 2x4s. Almost half the weight is on the 36 inch side, but it would allow for close to the 1/8 in deflection limit (using the formula) which was Rocket's limit. 2x6 would definitely be fine.

thanks for the reply. Also should the top frame be the exact same dimensions as the bottom of the tank? I was thinking in making it 1" bigger all around (73x37 for a tank 72x36) to be safe.
Is this ok? this would give about 1/2" extra all around.

Thanks RocketEngineer for creating such a nice thread and an easy design, thanks everybody else for your help. I was scared to this for a 300g tank since I never done any wood work before; I finished my stand frame in about 3 hours in it seems pretty good and level, the empty tank is on it and it seems its going to hold good. Now I need to do more reading and get ideas to do the finishing.

I have a couple of questions, I have seen people use diagonal supports in the corners for the leg, are they important? different design? add more strength? I'm probably going to put 2x8 legs in the center front and back just to make it easier to skin it and put doors. Also fro the pics you can tell that I put the screwing strips in the different direction that the original design, I hope that doesn't make a big diffrence.

Thanks again,.

Crappy phone pics
Front
IMG_20120506_153449.jpg

Back
IMG_20120506_153505.jpg

Last edited:
Is it ok to make the fram 1/2 " smaller all the way around so that when you put a 1/2" plywood top on it the 1/2" skin will then be flush? Then, all I have to do is use some decorative wood molding to hide the tank frame. In other words, the outside edge of the tank frame would not be sitting directly over top of the stand frame but it would be sitting on the plywood top. I think this would still work.

Back