Doni Marie clown's

I got a reply back from her, stating she has a few "larger" 1.5" grade "B" singles (what I want). If anything, when I'm ready to order, I'll just make sure she has a larger grade "B"/"A" available.

However I am saving for a "coral" pack from an online vendor, then I will be picking up a Picasso and selling my extreme misbar.

I put mine in a 20 gal tank with no other fish. I have a long air stone, small power head, a red sea skimmer and an Eheim canister filter on the tank; the return creates some flow. They seem to be able to handle this level of flow. When I feed, I turn off the Eheim filter, red sea skimmer and power head. The only thing left on is the air stone. Still the "soup" I feed them disperses over a wide area of the aquarium and they have to swim to catch up with it. One of the small fry swims very well and has no problem. The other swims very poorly and has all kinds of problems getting enough food. They would probably do very well in a 10 gal aquarium until they gain both swimming skills and size. One thing I need to emphasis, put foam over ALL intake suctions; these guys are small enough to get sucked into intakes.

A 3/4" clown has trouble catching food that's only moved around by an airstone? That's not just a small fish problem. There is something wrong with that one.

I am not 100% set on buying from her yet. So please don't let this be the last that we talk about her fish. Communication has been there. We communicate well, but that's only half of the price of the fish. The other half is the quality.

From my gathering, she offers healthy specimens, but generally sells smaller sized fish.

Has anyone had one DOA, die shortly after (non-powerhead effect), or have any sort of disease/problem? If so, how was this handled in your experience?

For instance, it kind of sounds like 1geo, has a "problem-matic" fish. Per rkelman's comment. Would she swap the "un-healthy" fish out for a new one? And ship to the owner at no additional cost, cost of S&H or half the price of a "new" one + S&H?

Any other owners are more than welcome to comment, share experiences, etc.

I ordered a pair of grade B's and couldn't be happier! They came small but I have enjoyed watching their color develop.

here are some pics of mine when i first got them ( dont mind the algae i got it under control now :) ). and like i said before i didnt even qt them even though she recommends it and still havent had a problem till this day.

2074581.JPG

2074583.JPG

When I first saw mine, they did look like precious little gems, and I was all woried.
I put them in my 67 w/ a vort running, and they were all over that tank from the very begining.
Catching food no prob, maybe a little finicky on day one till I switched to donis list of foods.
Hosting 3 nems right now, quick to host, and super unafraid.
I can coax them for pics w/ my hand.
I can't imagine better/healthier picassos, or cs/ better place for an online purchse.

Her fish are really no smaller then some of the true percs I have seen in stores. Also, even if they aren't small, no fish should be left to fend with major flow or fighting for food. I love her product and would recommend that everyone buy from her. Never have I seen the care that she puts into her product. I could never get that from a LFS.

Buy with confidence.

Day 1: (fish 4 months old)
M-IMG_2747.JPG

Month or so in:

M-IMG_2761.JPG

5 months or so: (notice the blk coming in)

M-IMG_2815.JPG

8 months or so: (see the large difference in the coloring)

M-IMG_2994.JPG

M-IMG_2995.JPG

i'm waiting for doni to put up some more fishes...they're amazing but i might just be too picky with the white patterns...passed up a few great looking pairs from what i've been seeing in this thread...lol!

Thanks for the "reinforcements". I truly appreciate sharing of pictures. If you have any more, please do post. I love seeing these beautiful creatures.

:D

jds_nano stated in the above post, "Her fish are really no smaller then some of the true percs I have seen in stores. Also, even if they aren't small, no fish should be left to fend with major flow or fighting for food."

Many of the small clowns you see at your local LFS are wild stock. Their size is NOT indicative of their age. You could see a 1 inch clown that is the same age as her 1.5 inch aquarium cousin. Its the aquarium raised clowns where you can predict their final size. As for major flow and fighting for food, I'm not sure where that came from. My clowns from Doni have no major flows and there is no fighting for food. The problem I have is the juvenile cannot swim that well and in a 20 gal tank has difficulty catching up with the food. I purchased Doni's Picasso's because 1. they are unique and to me well worth the effort and the risk to raise them to adulthood. and 2 (which is equally important to me) I have confidence that Doni's clowns are disease and parasite free. I still put them in QT but they are as healthy as they can be. I know of no other clown vendor that I can make that statement. Normally I would not buy a clown that is under 1.5 inches and then only aquarium raised clowns; clearly Doni's are the exception to size.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15196668#post15196668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 1geo
Many of the small clowns you see at your local LFS are wild stock. Their size is NOT indicative of their age. You could see a 1 inch clown that is the same age as her 1.5 inch aquarium cousin. Its the aquarium raised clowns where you can predict their final size. As for major flow and fighting for food, I'm not sure where that came from. My clowns from Doni have no major flows and there is no fighting for food. The problem I have is the juvenile cannot swim that well and in a 20 gal tank has difficulty catching up with the food. I purchased Doni's Picasso's because 1. they are unique and to me well worth the effort and the risk to raise them to adulthood. and 2 (which is equally important to me) I have confidence that Doni's clowns are disease and parasite free. I still put them in QT but they are as healthy as they can be. I know of no other clown vendor that I can make that statement. Normally I would not buy a clown that is under 1.5 inches and then only aquarium raised clowns; clearly Doni's are the exception to size.

Thank you for your comments. :rollface:

Back