DSPS tank from Thailand (1000 gallon+)

I love the aquascape and the placement of all the corals.

But, isn't it too soon to add SPS to the tank? Has the tank finished its cycle?

I think that, as he is using a shalow sand bed(no nitrification use) with biology add on, and despites the dead rocks, some live rock are coming with the colonies, and the top high quality saltwater, there will be no problem...

Chingchai, is the refuge going well? Did you already planted some green algae there?

What happens to the Forum, a post of mine here desapeared yesterday.....and my profile lost the modifications i did....
There was a major upgrade of the Reef Central website. Posts from the weekend were lost in the upgrade. There has been an announcement at the top of every forum for the past several days describing the process and warning of the fact that posts from the weekend would be lost.

Very nice project, especially the way the interior of the room was transformed. No doubt a source of inspiration for everyone. Well done on the aquascaping as well - less is more, especially when it fills in with growth.

What software was used for the renderings in the planning phase, if I might ask?

Couple things I cannot help wonder about from a planning perspective, especially given the scale of the project:

1) Maintenance: I suspect this would be a real challenge/issue with that depth, no? How are you easily accessing the bottom?

2) Scratching and Coraline Creep: It's a losing battle that cannot be won in my experience, and it will inevitably damage the overall view significantly. Time will tell, but if you manage to keep that tank scratch and coroline-free you should bottle and sell the secret. Unfortunately viewing panel maintenance is one aspect of the hobby that cannot be automated. Not sure how/if it could be done with glass though...

3) Visible Equipment: the visible wires, pipes, outlets in the tank really detract from the scene imho. I'm a big believer in the philosophy of absolutely NO visible filtration infrastructure from the perspective of the viewer. It does wonders for the overall effect. Just one visible wire or outlet can really scar the view.

4) Equipment redundancy: Maybe I missed something in the video tour but I didn't catch any sign of redundancy precautions in the event of equipment failure. Like Computer hard drives - it's not a matter of if, but when they will fail. Monitors and controllers can only do so much, so redundant flow and temp precautions would be a good idea if not already planned.

Great job though, and thanks so much for sharing your project with the board. It must be such a thrill to have this system built and running after so much plannning.

I think that, as he is using a shalow sand bed(no nitrification use) with biology add on, and despites the dead rocks, some live rock are coming with the colonies, and the top high quality saltwater, there will be no problem...

Chingchai, is the refuge going well? Did you already planted some green algae there?

Rock is live, not dead. He stored them in bins and cycled them.

Well done from South Africa ChingChai,

I have been following your build since you ordered your tank and I am really blown away by everything that you have done!!

Your tank is absolutely spectacular!!

Are you going to be adding any type of sand sifters? If you do, I think a pair or two (maybe even three given your tank size) of Blue Cheeked Gobies would be awesome!!

Once again well done and keep it up!

Wondering the same thing myself. Patience is a hard thing to find in this hobby, and too often the animals pay the price. Hopefully this won't be one of those times though.

Remember that for MACNA - for example - vendors set up display and frag tanks and immediately add livestock, so it can be done although not recommended I'm sure. I'm guessing he used live sand and sea water? I certainly hope so. Even then I'd let it cycle and stabilize. I'd suspect that over the next several weeks the chemistry will likely be a bit unstable.

With that huge volume of water and the rocks already cycled, it will likely be no problem to add the invert and coral livestock at this point as long as the fish load is kept to a bare minimum for a while. I doubt the tank goes through anything but a blip cycle at this point. That being said, it will still be a year before everything settles.

Cool, I like so many other reefers are relieved to finally see some corals in your tank. Everything looks so great! congratulations.

With that huge volume of water and the rocks already cycled, it will likely be no problem to add the invert and coral livestock at this point as long as the fish load is kept to a bare minimum for a while. I doubt the tank goes through anything but a blip cycle at this point. That being said, it will still be a year before everything settles.

Not only this, but with very little waste, and such a large skimmer running in the system, most of the nutrients are already being pulled from the water column, keeping ammonia and nitrite to a minimum (most likely already undetectable since he's been keeping the rock moist for some time now.) The nitrate content is directly attributable to waste or die off being converted first to ammonia, then to nitrite, then to nitrate. With no fish at this point, and a total system volume of well over 1000 gallons, without feedings going into the tank, it's unlikely that the system would have chemistry any different than an established aquarium. At MACNA, etc. you can do what they do because again they're using new water without any nutrients beginning the nitrogen cycle. If they left them running for a few weeks, then their livestock would get in serious trouble, or dead.

Back