Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

I don't think this thread will have much value once the new thread has begun, Robb. The new thread will begin with a summary of everything that has occurred up until now, so no good content will be lost.

The office tank is at a low point, quite a bit of coral loss but we're in the process of re-stocking, so I'll update the office tank thread when that happens.

Nick, we had a bunch of invertebrate losses (snails and the like) which may have caused a spike in nitrates/nutrients in the tank. This caused RTN in a few corals, and the downhill spiral began. That's all cleared out now, though, so we're ready to move forward again.

Clint, with friends like you, who needs enemies???!!!

dont start a new thread. (sorry if i said the wrong things....)
I was just giving you a hard time because of withdraws..... (you have a reef addict in here...)
haha.

Yesterday me and my wife did some fish shopping in Austin and it reminded me to look up your thread.

Was a new thread started?

I hope all is well.

P.S. Austin sure has some nice people at their LFS's

Sorry for the late response, I'm officially the worst thread host ever.

Brief update ...

Got the new tank in, cabinets installed, custom light fixture hung with motorized raise/lower mechanism, plumbed it up, got everything going real sweet. Cycled great, stocked with bunch'o fish and corals, everything thriving and happy. Literally going to start my new thread when one night, I heard something funny at the tank. Checked it out and there was leak at a seam about 1/3 up from the bottom. FU*&!!!!!!!!!!!
So I drained the tank down to below the leak, tore down the aquascape so all the corals would be submerged and hooked up a couple power heads for circulation. Next morning, my man John from Capital Aquariums came over and we emptied the entire tank. I put the corals in my office tank (which is doing better) and John took my fish and live rock. We pulled out all the sand, cleaned it and stored it in a trash can but my f'ing cats thought it was a litter box and used it as such. Sand gone.
We had to tear out all the cabinetry so they could pick up the tank. It has been repaired and is back in my house, and the cabinetry has been re-applied. Now I just need to find a time when I'll be motivated to re-do all the plumbing and restart this project. It is now a curse and I am dreading the work it will take to get it back up and running. The first time was a labor of love, now it'll just be work and I'll have a bad attitude about it.

Probably not the inspiration you were looking for Eric, but that's what's up at my crib.

Man I am sorry but I would have banned those cats for life messing up the sand. Just keep your head up and in no time you will be back into the game at full swing. Just think, it could have been worse.

Got to love this hobby.??.. I feel your pain. As long as live stock is stable I think it might be time to play with some other toys or the house. It just sucks when you finally devote your time and this type of stuff happens. I like to get things done my self and not put certain things off, but with this hobby sometimes I think we are ll crazy..hahahahha.. Good Luck I hope things work out...

Thanks guys, yeah, things will work out fine ultimately. And I know I'll have the tank up and running, it just has to be when I'm ready. Until then, I'll look to you guys for inspiration.

Back