Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

Dude

Personally, I use Ocean Motions 4 ways X2 connected to darts.. for my closed loop This is what Paul @ OM showed me how to set up and it works very well, efficient, silent Yes the bottom of the tank is drilled out in 4 places but very simply if you place the gaskets correctly and do not "OVER" tighten they will never break or leak.. Surge tanks take up a large space, can be loud and unless very well designed undependable... Unless your looking at a 1000-5000 surge like large public aquariums?

Looking forward to seeing more Kudos

If you design the surge using actuated ball valves, they are very dependable. Also silent. I would think that 1 or 2 ~50gallon containers located above the tank would work very well for your tank.

That's not right Mr. B...I don't want to get involved in another surge tank fight! :lol:

All I can say is that the way my system is designed, and more importantly the way the room is designed, you cannot hear my reef in the viewing room.

Ed Reef - I think I understand what you're saying, thanks for the feedback

reef / aholic - Nothing like The Masters, my man. Looks like you've played Austin's finest. I currently live in Barton Creek and run on the courses regularly in the early mornings, but don't have much time to play.

tbone28 - I like my CJ's also, I was just interested in the opinions of others regarding the alternatives. Are your CJ's quiet? I have never tested the potential of mine with respect to noise level since my tank is open-top and the stand is not skinned, so I can hear the water falling and all of the equipment, all of the time. I know your system is built-in, so I'd be interested in your feedback.

As for your TOTM comment ... thanks, but have you even SEEN any TOTM's lately? I don't really expect to be able to compete in that league.

Bax - LOL, I hear ya bud. After all of this time battling the CL decision I finally got on the phone and called Tom at A.G.E. He was nice enough to return my call (I'm a repeat customer I guess :smokin: ). He feels VERY strongly that a sched 80 bulkhead/PVC bond is leak-proof under most conditions. He has systems that have sustained 20+ years of much more corrosive environments than those of a saltwater aquarium without problems. He doesn't think cement or silicone at the bulkhead is at all necessary, and he has no concers for the longevity of external waveboxes either. It was very reassuring for me to speak with him, and I now really have no reservations about the CL.

ReefDoctorMicromussas and LNell - I doubt I'll have space in my relatively small tank room for two 50-gallon buckets suspended beside the tank. Again, I really know almost nothing about surge tanks, but I will read about them. I won't use it to replace the CL but could it be something I can add to the system at a later date, or is there something special that needs to be built into the tank per se?

jnarowe - No surge tank fight here, that's for sure. I can't believe it - here's a topic that you know a lot about, and you're gonna hold out on me. Come on bro, tell me what you think!

Mike, something to reconsider

"Calcium/Alkalinity addition:
Deltec PF601S, 10 lb. CO2 cylinder"

Your tank is 450g that is not include the prop tank. You may need to move up to the PF1001 unless you enjoy taking your Ca reactor apart 3-4 times/year to refill the media. Brian (MakoJ) has to upgrade his from PF601S to PF1001 because the Ca and Alk demand in his system.

Not just that. You should be taking it apart 4 x per year to clean it anyway, but as demand rises you will need the extra volume. At some point even teh PF1001 won't be able to keep up and you may have to add one or drip. Adding one can mess with teh pH too much so I see a lot of mature reefs using kalk, Ca, and drip.

As far as surge tanks go, for most hobbyist installs they are way too complicated, noisy, and innefficient. I got poked a lot about this but having seen them in action, seen some spectacular installs, all I can say is that I think there are better ways of creating flow. I couldn't really even experiment with one because I just don't have the ceiling height to accomodate one properly.

I know they work, and they have a wicked "cool" factor, but unless they are constantly fired you don't get the net flow payback. They take up space, cost a bit to install, and you have to have a pretty sizable pump to re-fill the tank fast enough. Just some food for thought.

Hey Steve, how are the 6301's doing?

Mr. Dudester...
I'm trying to decide what kind of standpipe to go with as well...
I like the Durso because first of all, it will fit in my overflow- secondly, I can make the whole thing out of sch-80.

The problem with the Hofer is- I can't find sch-80 1.5"x1" bushings. Savco doesn't carry em'

I like the gb. it is an easy simple setup and they are adjustable. mine aren't "silent" as in zero noise, but pretty close and I think they allow more flow than a duso.
glad i found this thread looks like your tank and house are gonna be "baller" or whatever the nice things they say about awesome houses in austin is! baller and energy efficient at the same time

Jar*Head and jnarowe - Slow down there, guys! Building a new house as well as a new tank ain't cheap, and I already have the PF601S. It's rated for 660 gallons, which should serve my system just fine. I've been to Brian's (MakoJ) house on several occasions to see his tank and I know him pretty well. The only reason he changed to the PF1001 was not that his PF601S wasn't meeting his tank's demand, but he didn't want to have to refill it several times a year. They both function identically, one just holds more media than the other. I won't mind if I have to refill it every 3 months since it will be sitting out in my tank room and not crammed into a sump. And shoot, by the time my new tank meets that kind of demand, who knows what will be available? The other thing to consider is that Brian keeps his alkalinity much higher than I will since I'm using ZEOvit, so I think the PF601S will be fine. Lastly, I have a Deltec kalk stirrer (KM500) that's still never been used, and I can't wait until my demand increases enough that I'll be able to use it. But nice pick-up and thanks for looking out for me!

Regarding the surge tank, thanks for the information Jonathan and that'll definitely not be in the plan, at least not for now. I'll keep that in my back pocket for when the corals have choked off all of the in-tank flow and I need to kick it up a notch.

ConcreteReefer, tbone and skey44 - Thanks for your input guys. After reading more, including your comments, I'll probably go with the CJ's. I like the fact that they're very thin and they need no adjustment once the proper height is determined. Combined with the fact that they come made and ready to use, and they're black (I hate white PVC), and it's a match for me!

I'm not sure what "baller" means, guess I haven't lived in Austin long enough, but thanks anyway! The house is coming along great. In fact, today I stood on the roof and I was able to see all of the downtown skyline, including the UT Tower and the capitol building. It was a particularly clear day and I even saw an airplane going in for a landing at the airport, which is about 20 miles from the house.

Oh, and I almost forgot ... I met with the super at the house today, and he confirmed that the column adjacent to the overflow box is only partially load-bearing (the outer half). He's going to cut away the rear 6" of the entire column, which won't be visible to the living room anyway, and this will give me room to place external waveboxes flanking the overflow, as well as gain another inch or two for the overflow itself! Guess I better revise my tank diagram :) .

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277458#post12277458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ConcreteReefer
As far as the humidity issue goes- Make sure the room has supply & return ducting, That and Humidity sensing fans should be sufficient. Just remember to Killz everything in that room!
kilz is great stuff. when i built my stand for my tank, i made it all out of 3/4 birch plywood. and 2x4 white pine studs. then i actually used engineered mahogany hard wood floor planks that were prfinished, to give it that boat deck look. set my top deck on the stand and did the edge with stair nosing. and then used small crown underneath the nosing and put a nice baseboard molding around and stained to match. inside the cabinet i wanted it to be very bright and clean. so i sanded the interior down kilzed all of it and painted in with a semi-gloss off white color that i had left over from the woodwork in my house. so now it is very clean inside and very easy to wipe up spills if they occur. also i recently built a matching custom light canopy that suspends from the ceiling.

Here's another topic for the moment. I was thinking about silencing the overflows and there are many options out there. I currently use CJ standpipes but other options include the gurgle busters, Stocktons (?), and the system with a risen PVC drain and a 2nd drain on a gate valve, can't remember the name for this. Anyway, what do you other large tank owners use? I like the CJ's because they pretty much never clog and they have a very low profile, but the height isn't the easiest thing to adjust. I'd love to get some opinions on this. Thanks in advance everyone.

I think you should look at the DIY section, the "Silent and Failsafe Overflow" topic. By BeanAnimal. Great system !

I've seen that one, X men, that was the one I was trying to describe - "the system with a risen PVC drain and a 2nd drain on a gate valve, can't remember the name for this." I've been too lazy to read that thread, but I'll give it another look. Thanks! Are you using that?

Mike, I want to see your tank and your new house next month when I come to visit. Think that might be possible this time?

boozeman, that's a pretty unique solution. I'll be draining my overflow into a bubble tower, so I won't be able to get fancy with it at the sump level, but that was an interesting read.

melev - You got it, I'm looking forward to it. You'll need to see the office tank too, it's changed a lot since you were here last. I hosted an ARC meeting there today, check the office tank thread when you have a chance for some pics. When are you coming again?

Back