Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

jnarowe - The Super is a great guy, and I now think it's a benefit that he's never done a large tank install as he is VERY interested in it. He enjoys learning new things and this is certainly a departure from what he has done in the past. And I share your sentiment about the Geotronic - if only there was a model to support 600 gallons.

bleedingthought - Thanks Thiago.

Jar*Head - :eek: You make me blush. If it comes together as nicely as yours I will be very happy. Now that I have the Flowmaster's attention, let me run this past you. I finally calculated some flow variables and here's what I've come up with. I may not go with these pumps and instead use RD's, but this is just a starting point.

Sump return - Dart - 2250 gph (5x turnover)
CL - Barracuda - 4500 gph (10x turnover)
2 external waveboxes (????)
chiller on closed loop into Wavy Seas with Tunze 6101 attached - 3170 gph (7x turnover + minimal contribution from return pump)

To me this seems woefully inadequate but the waveboxes might make it all right.

I wonder, Terry ;) . By the way, I hate you! I spent about 2 hours catching up on your thread yesterday, and probably only encountered 3 reef-related items. Guess that serves me right for going 6 weeks without reading it. But seriously, your tank is looking great and I'm sure you'll conquer your current woes.

LOL, Mike. I'd suggest unsubsribing to my "build" thread. There won't be much action for a while until I stop propagating pests :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12385037#post12385037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
jnarowe - The Super is a great guy, and I now think it's a benefit that he's never done a large tank install as he is VERY interested in it. He enjoys learning new things and this is certainly a departure from what he has done in the past. And I share your sentiment about the Geotronic - if only there was a model to support 600 gallons.

bleedingthought - Thanks Thiago.

Jar*Head - :eek: You make me blush. If it comes together as nicely as yours I will be very happy. Now that I have the Flowmaster's attention, let me run this past you. I finally calculated some flow variables and here's what I've come up with. I may not go with these pumps and instead use RD's, but this is just a starting point.

Sump return - Dart - 2250 gph (5x turnover)
CL - Barracuda - 4500 gph (10x turnover)
2 external waveboxes (????)
chiller on closed loop into Wavy Seas with Tunze 6101 attached - 3170 gph (7x turnover + minimal contribution from return pump)

To me this seems woefully inadequate but the waveboxes might make it all right.

Mike, first of all you got me into changing to the RD and now you decided to leave me hanging :D. As for the flow, it seems inadequate but with the wavy sea and tunze combo you will have plenty of random flow. Make sure you set the wavysea controller on fast mode, make sure you don't put anything larger than 6101 or else your wavysea unit will break down really fast. With the two waveboxes, everything will move in the tank, the CL and tunze will take care of the directional flow. You can always add more tunze later if you think necessary. I don't think you want to go with 6301 because it will stir up some sand and your fish will get brain damage by hitting their head into the aquascape.

Mike, you will need 2 tunze wavebox for sure for that size of tank as for how much flow coming from the wavebox, there is a calculation in tunze forum. But i am not smart enough to figure it out. Roger mention something between 15,000-20,000 per wavebox in the 180g.

That's what he told me too...

Isn't the Barracuda a pressure rated pump? Then you could use Penducters and get some wicked flow.

tbone28 - That's OK Terry, I think I'll stick it out. Even if I don't learn about reefing, I can still pick up some pointers on some of the other finer things in life, like where to get a good steak, and what kind of car to drive :rollface: .

Jar*Head - I haven't abandoned the RD, I'm just using pumps as examples for the kind of flow I expect from each location, and the ones I listed are more familiar to people than the RD models. As for the waveboxes, I'm definitely doing 2 of them (see my last diagram). The ???? was referring to how much turnover they will create. If they put out as much as you just indicated, then I'll likely be just fine. I agree with you about the 6301 being too strong for my 6' long tank.

GSMguy - I almost missed your post - see last comment above, and thanks for your suggestion.

jnarowe - The 'cuda (if I use one) would be on the closed loop, and I don't think I'll want penductors coming out of the bottom of the tank.

i was kinda kidding, because we have been joking with Tbone about putting some 6301s in his 180g,

what if you put them in a false wall, you wouldn't have to run them at 100% but a short burst of full blast would really lift some detritus :)

i would go with at least 2 6201 but that may be a bit overboard ?

GSM, he wants to put it on the wavy sea. I know the wavy sea plus won't be able to handle the 6201 (Been there, done that, break the wavy sea plus in 2 weeks :D).

I think 2 6301 pushing across the length along with the 2 tunze 6101 on wavy sea unit would be sweet. But Mike may not want to have too many power head inside the tank.

Imagine 2 tunze 6301 on channel 1a and 1b push across the length of the tank, 2 tunze 6101 on wavy sea on channel 2a and 2b on wavy sea sweep 90 or 180 on the back wall, Tunze 7095 multi controller set on interval II power at 30%-100%, 1.5 sec interval for .30. He should have plenty of flow with that type of setup.

Last edited:
ya i still think 2 6301 behind a false wall would be a "permanent" flow solution with no need for upgrading in the future.

Why do you care what I think? At this point I don't even care what I think, I'm just enjoying reading all of you guys' thoughts! :lol: The only Tunze pump I've ever used is my current wavebox, and I have no personal experience with Streams so that's why I rely on you guys.

But seriously, I am not going to insert a false wall since the tank is viewable from 2 sides and covering the false wall would mean diminishing the viewable width of the tank. I also don't want big powerheads at the viewable rear corner. So I'll probably stick with what I have and plan on having the ability to add Streams to the rear and right side wall in the future as my flow demands increase. How does that sound, oh gurus of flow?

plan ahead leave the ability to use streams you will end up wanting them the other option is a couple Vortechs they take up almost no space in the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12386868#post12386868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
Why do you care what I think? At this point I don't even care what I think, I'm just enjoying reading all of you guys' thoughts! :lol: The only Tunze pump I've ever used is my current wavebox, and I have no personal experience with Streams so that's why I rely on you guys.

But seriously, I am not going to insert a false wall since the tank is viewable from 2 sides and covering the false wall would mean diminishing the viewable width of the tank. I also don't want big powerheads at the viewable rear corner. So I'll probably stick with what I have and plan on having the ability to add Streams to the rear and right side wall in the future as my flow demands increase. How does that sound, oh gurus of flow?

How about 2 power head at the same panel where your overflow box and waveboxes at? as a matter of fact you can put the PH where your ext wavebox on the inside.... The 6301 not much bigger than the 6101 except the nozzle slightly larger.

I think you should make the overall length of the tank longer to account for a newly designed false wall, which will cover 16,000 gph worth of Tunze 6301's + a few other Tunzes. Problem solved - Viewable area is the same, no PH's in the tank, and crazy flow :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12388085#post12388085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
I think you should make the overall length of the tank longer to account for a newly designed false wall, which will cover 16,000 gph worth of Tunze 6301's + a few other Tunzes. Problem solved - Viewable area is the same, no PH's in the tank, and crazy flow :)

Didn't he said no false wall? :mad2: . Something is seriously wrong with you Terry....

Back