Eco-Friendly Calcium Reactor?

gusmanda

Hi Guys,

I've recently made the decision to return into the hobby, after being absent a few years. I'm planning the new tank to make things as maintenance free as possible. As I was going through the "to-do" list, was somewhat concerned regarding calcium reactor media. Are calcium reactors basically using dead-coral as media? Is there an sustainable alternative?

Maybe I'm just not well informed on calcium reactors and media, thought RC could clear things up.

There are all kinds of media. From natural to synthetic. You want the eco stuff just buy synthetic.

it's not like manufacturers are harvesting live coral and killing it for Ca media. It would be collected the same as sand. As far as another option, I wouldn't really call it "synthetic". But Gus is right there are non coral options that are mined. Like one made by aquamedic.

it's not like manufacturers are harvesting live coral and killing it for Ca media. It would be collected the same as sand. As far as another option, I wouldn't really call it "synthetic". But Gus is right there are non coral options that are mined. Like one made by aquamedic.

+1, it's harvested substrate
also believe elos and brightwell coral lazuras is man made pure calcium carbonate.
I prefer coral bones myself, I belive certain elements such as strontium, magnesium and many others are added when utilizing them vs using man made stuff.

thanks guys. I'm just finding Aragonite.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, I go to the "calcium reactor" category of internet-sale places, is it under a different category?

again, its not synthetic. it is mined. I see where you your thinking is, but I'm not sure its more eco friendly. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But consider that aragonite rubble is renewed faster than dolomite will be. There are other things to consider as well. You will need to run your reactor at a lower pH. A benefit of the dolomite is that it will release additional magnesium for you.

Back