Eel on mix reef ?

Vlado4x4

Which eel would be recomended for a mixed reef ?

I have severall shrimps, different sizes.

And do i need a special decour or with sufficient LR is ok ?

By the way i have a 220g sistem

Thanks

All eels will eat your shrimp if that matters to you. What other fish will you have? A GDM or ribbon eel would work best if there is going to be other fish.

Is honestly just do some engineer gobies, just make sure all of your rocks are touching the glass

All eels will eat your shrimp if that matters to you. What other fish will you have? A GDM or ribbon eel would work best if there is going to be other fish.

They will huh...
2011-11-13143411.jpg

I have a 3ft. Zebra Moray in my reef, I have a Tailspot Blenny that picks on him, I have a couple of friends that also have Zebra's in there reefs with cleaner shrimps, Fire Shrimps, Coral Banded, Crabs...etc.I have lots of small fish and Shrimps.Merv never takes a second look at them.That being said, this is the only eel I trust in my tank with inverts, if you want a docile creature, a Zebra Moray is the Eel To get.

They will huh...
2011-11-13143411.jpg

I have a 3ft. Zebra Moray in my reef, I have a Tailspot Blenny that picks on him, I have a couple of friends that also have Zebra's in there reefs with cleaner shrimps, Fire Shrimps, Coral Banded, Crabs...etc.I have lots of small fish and Shrimps.Merv never takes a second look at them.That being said, this is the only eel I trust in my tank with inverts, if you want a docile creature, a Zebra Moray is the Eel To get.

Forgot about cleaner shrimp they clean eels sothey are uaualy left alone. You are lucky that your zebra doesnt eat inverts that is there natural food source.

Amazing pic Reef264.

I have 2 pepermint, 2 lysmatas and 2 bood shrimps. All of them work really nice, but had second thoughts about getting an eel.

The zebra one is really big. I have a couple of tangs, no small fish though.

I was thinking more of a blue ribbon or one that dosen`t get to big, with mouth for others getting inside without permision :lmao:

I've had a snow flake for a while, hasn't touched any of my fish nor shrimps, but when I got him, he was tiny, maybe he doesn't yet know other fish could be food lol I feed him mysis.

Reef264 -- just confirming: you target feed once a week only? Always large raw shrimp (any particular kind?) or ever scallops or something else?

Against my better judgement I am going to get one. I say against better judgement because I worry something bad will happen and I'll be "stuck" (will be impossible I imagine to ever get it out without tearing apart the reef entirely.)

I have a 3' zebra eel in my 180 and he is fine with small fish and inverts. only problems I ever have with him is when he gets hungry he becomes active and in a packed sps tank that can get irritating.

~Will.

I've had a snow flake for a while, hasn't touched any of my fish nor shrimps, but when I got him, he was tiny, maybe he doesn't yet know other fish could be food lol I feed him mysis.

I've actually wondered that before. If you get an eel at a young enough age and are consistent with when and what you feed it, maybe it will not attack other fish/inverts because it doesn't know that they're food. Just a thought

I've actually wondered that before. If you get an eel at a young enough age and are consistent with when and what you feed it, maybe it will not attack other fish/inverts because it doesn't know that they're food. Just a thought

I'll let u know if that is true or not in a year when he gets bigger :)

Absolutely beautiful photo Reef264... "ghost" ribbons are quite docile (Pseudechidna brummeri)

You should really try a ribbon eel. I've had one in my reef for the last 5 months and he's doing amazing. Eats fine, comes out to swim a lot, won't tumble over any corals. I just added some pvc tunnels that go under the sand and have 4 openings to pop out, he loves it in there. No regrets at all, just recommend making sure the eel eats before buying it.

cheers

I too have a zebra and ribbon in my tank(>2 years). Never kept shrimp alongside as I have fed live gulf shrimp in the past & I don't know how my clan would react to fire or cleaners.

I have a snowflake eel in my tank for about a year now and i have many crabs, snails, and inverts even a sea slug and he never goes near them i had a coral banded shrimp but my 3.5" saddle back female started to eat it alive. i got my snowflake when he was a baby and belive it or not he will not harm inverts. people say heal attack fan worms but prove them wrong? i did got 3 fans has not even cared enoph to look at them.

p.s. good luck!

Peppermint and camel shrimp are also cleaners and often live in the same burrows as eels. There are thousands of pics from the wild showing this.

Back