Eggcrate Question...

RTMA

DIY Fanatic
Has anyone found black eggcrate anywhere in lower Fairfield county? I was thinking just using Krylon fusion on the white stuff, but really don't want to risk it if it was already available somewhere.

Also has anyone used it on the bottom of their tank? I'll be building a 65 soon and would like some input since my diamond goby seems to love to dig under my current rocks. I don't want him to get trapped or pinned under with the eggcrate.

Thanks, Joe

I havent found it in any of the stores around here. Even in milford where there are many more stores I havent found it. Perhaps some of the other memebrs have a local source? You can get it online if you really want -- but prob not worth the shipping expense.

Didn't know those actually existed. That seems logical...lets see what Google has to say :) Thanks.

Ive used egg crate on the bottom of all my tanks. keeps the rock in place, and diffuses any hit or wight that is on the glass.

just put it on the glass first so nothing gets trapped under it and creating uneven pressure. then put a rck or two to hold it down, then the sand.

my gobies never had any problems.

I have found only one source online, but you have to buy 20 pieces at about $25 each. us plastics. they used to have a storefront in bridgeport, but no longer.

I don't know that fusion is Reef safe?

you could always dye it. it won't be jet black but it won't be white either.
Soak in a bath of acid(maturic)sp which removes whatever they use to pull it out of the mold---also causes cyano. Then dye with a black food coloring.

Back