Elos Biotopus ll controller comments

Incorrect. You can get the RKE with ethernet module for $550 from AquaCave by using their ReefCentral 5% discount. ;)

And the sockets are important to me... 2 less is a big deal. I am actually getting 12 sockets and LAN for $635 with an RKE (again, Aquacave with the ReefCentral 5% discount... coupon code RC5).

Better is subjective, but the Profilux definitely seems to be a good controller... its just expensive! Too expensive for me.

Brandon

I think and see things in a different light.

My reef is more expensive then the saving on a controller.
I would put Profilux track record over RKE anytime.

Not worth it to me, especially something that controls and monitors my Reef when I am not around.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14806403#post14806403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NeveSSL
Incorrect. You can get the RKE with ethernet module for $550 from AquaCave by using their ReefCentral 5% discount. ;)

And the sockets are important to me... 2 less is a big deal. I am actually getting 12 sockets and LAN for $635 with an RKE (again, Aquacave with the ReefCentral 5% discount... coupon code RC5).

Better is subjective, but the Profilux definitely seems to be a good controller... its just expensive! Too expensive for me.

Brandon
i run my system off of 5 sockets on the profilux

the rest are plugged into the wall

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14806441#post14806441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luisagos
I think and see things in a different light.

My reef is more expensive then the saving on a controller.
I would put Profilux track record over RKE anytime.

Not worth it to me, especially something that controls and monitors my Reef when I am not around.

That makes sense. :)

And that's cool, Chad.

Brandon

Has the B2 ever had expansion modules or updated firmware?With seemly so little market share, is it a dead end without constant innovation and updates? I'd like to see if Elos has a time-line for updates or downloads as the technology constantly changes. Just consider all the new updated controllers these last several months only! Almost all of them are coming out with not just updates but new models.

This whole mine is better than yours arguement makes me tired. There are so many different things about a controller that will effect your decision. The best thing to do is look at all of the things that are important to you, ie price, features, expandability, track record, etc. and then make a decision. I can't tell you how many debates I have had with Neptune lovers who tell me their sole arguement for why the AC3 is better then the RKE is because the AC3 has been out longer and is more solid. Those same guys are now telling me that the Apex is far better than the RKE because it is newer.??? We all latch on to a product or manufacturer based on positive experiences, be it in the product itself or the customer service. I personally have never dealt with a company that has responded to me better than Digital Aquatics. I will always support them and will continue to use the Reefkeeper line of controllers. Neptune stuff has been too difficult to program, Profilux equipment is too expensive and bulky, and I have never even looked closely at anything else. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on my 300g reef and I am 100% happy and confident to entrust the control of it to my Elite system. That is all that matters to me.

And for those of you that don't like the DA stuff, you should at least thank them for bringing the cost of the other guy's products down to a reasonable level. Without the release of the Elite system at $490 you would still be paying $200 more for the other controllers.

I couldn't agree more Dave. How much was that Profilux a year or so ago?? Now they market a cheaper base and insanely priced expansion units.

Hey Dave,

We have discuss this before, but you need to realize your as guilty as we are in promoting our controller, i would say you might more guilty then most of us.
If we where to look at your post history, what would we see?

I do agree on competition, its great for war prices.
In today world, we can get a great product for less money because of the competition we have now.

When we talk about the Profilux, you will never see negative views.

1) Highest quality.
2) Great Support.
3) Upgradeable to the newest flag model, without buying a new head.
4) Unlimited functions.

But Profilux has always been expensive, but no longer, they are within the reach of the other controllers.

Your right everyone needs to make up your own mind.
If your in a market for a Reef Controller, please do your research.

1) Look at their support pages, from that alone you will gain a lot of information.
A) What breaks all the time.
B) How long does it take them to respond.
C) What are people doing with them.
2) Look at what the controller can do, also make sure it can grow with your future needs.
3) What are people doing with them, how are they doing it.

Use these links to see what the owners are saying and doing with the Profilux controllers.

Support Forums.
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/index.php

What the Profilux can do.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1617221

What are people doing with them.
Data logging.
http://reefstatus.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Application
Iphone
http://reefstatus.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=iPhone Interface
Web Interface
http://reefstatus.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Web Interface

I have a quantum senor hook up to my Profilux right now, I am hoping within a month, when they release the new Profilux analog card i will have the final solution having a controller with a par sensor.
I also got a flow meter and current devices in the works, which will work with the new card.

The cool thing about the Profilux, you do not need to spend thousands of dollars today, just get what you need now, and if you ever need more just add on to it. You will never need to replace the main controller.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that the Profilux is still....insanely expensive!!!!! Insanely!!!! You can get the basic setup for around $500, but if you want it to do anything that the other controllers can do for less than $600, with the Profilux, you're well into the $1000+ range! Give us a break and staop the buy our $300 expansion module crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why don't you all give us a sub-$300 do all machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14808728#post14808728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jtrasap
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that the Profilux is still....insanely expensive!!!!! Insanely!!!! You can get the basic setup for around $500, but if you want it to do anything that the other controllers can do for less than $600, with the Profilux, you're well into the $1000+ range! Give us a break and staop the buy our $300 expansion module crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why don't you all give us a sub-$300 do all machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Please tell me what the base Profilux II Plus ($500) can not do what the other controller are doing?

Btw, no need to get mad, we are having a friendly debate here.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14808686#post14808686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luisagos
Hey Dave,

We have discuss this before, but you need to realize your as guilty as we are in promoting our controller, i would say you might more guilty then most of us.
If we where to look at your post history, what would we see?

I completely agree with you. I promote what I like. I also defend DA's products when people misrepresent them. I can assure you that my post history on DA stuff is probably shorter than yours on Profilux stuff.

When we talk about the Profilux, you will never see negative views.

That is correct...because they delete negative posts.

1) Highest quality.
2) Great Support.
3) Upgradeable to the newest flag model, without buying a new head.
4) Unlimited functions.

The first two on that list are simply your opinions, many of which other people would disagree with.

I have a quantum senor hook up to my Profilux right now, I am hoping within a month, when they release the new Profilux analog card i will have the final solution having a controller with a par sensor.
I also got a flow meter and current devices in the works, which will work with the new card.

You have brought these things up in our debates before and I still, for the life of me, can not understand why you would need a PAR meter hooked up to your controller. And where do you hide the sensor in the tank without seeing it? Perhaps it comes down to the Profilux is a better fit for you and the Reefkeeper Elite is a better fit for me.

The cool thing about the Profilux, you do not need to spend thousands of dollars today, just get what you need now, and if you ever need more just add on to it. You will never need to replace the main controller.

That is the same with the RKE as well. Unbelievable expandability.

Dave,

Why do RKE owners get so angry on debates?

You have stated:
"I have never even looked closely at anything else."
Yet you mention you see GHL remove negative posts?

Which part are you telling the truth?

Anyone here can goggle RKE and Profilux reviews.
I have never heard one bad review from a Profilux owner, stating the Profilux is crappy controller, but yet I have read tons of people regretting in getting a RKE because of poor quality control.

RKE Elite has not been a smooth ride for DA, seems like they rush the product to soon.
They just release the net card out, and the RKM-SL2 module.

Profilux has had those features for awhile, and the RKE is still playing catchup.

About the Par sensor placement, you need to stop being so angry and think where would the sensor be place for data logging for long term accuracy.

Maybe Angry is too harsh.

Getting upset or irritated?

I come to RC to learn, and when I can, try to help.
The day that I no longer have fun debating and helping others is the day I need to stop posting.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14809369#post14809369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveMorris

You have brought these things up in our debates before and I still, for the life of me, can not understand why you would need a PAR meter hooked up to your controller. And where do you hide the sensor in the tank without seeing it? Perhaps it comes down to the Profilux is a better fit for you and the Reefkeeper Elite is a better fit for me.

[/B]

I would imagine a par meter hooked up to your controller would make it easy to know when its time to change your bulbs. Being able to see exactly how much par you lose after the first, second, or any month would be nice to know. Pretty neat.

I am deciding between the Profilux and the new APEX from Neptune Systems. Can't wait to hear more about the new controller :D

If I were to get the RKE or APEX, Id wait a few more months, maybe even a year for both companies to work out the kinks because there are ALWAYS something to work out or improve, especially in a new product, totally and completely understandable.

Exactly moo0o.

Sensor will be data logging the par levels and you could have the controller dim your lights to the proper levels, and also have alarm level if the dimming reaches max dimming levels.
Like you said, it will tell you when bulbs need replacing.

The par sensor will only work with the Profilux, its the only controller that I am aware on the market that will have an analog input.

I use to own AC3, things to watch for on the APEX controller, it does not have Salinity\Conductivity ports.
I saw the video of the new controller and it does not have them.

In the past, Neptune Systems made you upgrade the Main unit if you wanted to have those ports and they always charge for their PC software.

That something I disliked about them, hence why I sold my AC3.
I cant say this enough, I will never have to replace my Profilux will never be obsolete.
Buying the base model is the same as buying the fully deck one. All the parts are fully interchangeable.

Please do not take my word on it or anyone else, just do some research on the controllers you like, that way you know you made the right decision.
Good Luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14809470#post14809470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luisagos
Dave,

Why do RKE owners get so angry on debates?

I am not angry at all. You state your position, and I state mine. Pretty simple.

You have stated:
"I have never even looked closely at anything else."
Yet you mention you see GHL remove negative posts?

Which part are you telling the truth?

So you accuse me of being angry, and then turn around and accuse me of being a liar as well? I stand by both of the statements that are quoted above.

1. I have never looked at the features, modules, capabilities, etc. very closely on the Profilux controller. Mostly because all I needed to look at was the price tag of the different components and I knew that it was not the controller for me.
2. I read a lot of posts and look through a lot of forums here on ReefCentral as well as other boards and I have seen the removal of negative posts. You make it sound like nobody has ever had a problem with a GHL product and they never will. That is simply not true. And unless you were around when GHL launched their first edition of the Profilux controller and can show that they never had any bugs, I will still stand by my statement that all of these companies deal with problems in the equipment that they make.
Anyone here can goggle RKE and Profilux reviews.
I have never heard one bad review from a Profilux owner, stating the Profilux is crappy controller, but yet I have read tons of people regretting in getting a RKE because of poor quality control.

RKE Elite has not been a smooth ride for DA, seems like they rush the product to soon.

I too have read reviews of people who have had problems with their RKE and regretted their purchase. I have never disagreed that DA has had problems with the RKE as it was rolled out. However, for me, I have not experienced those problems. I haven't had issues with my equipment at all and that shows you that not every RKE out of the factory was bad. That also means that they did not rush it to market.

They just release the net card out, and the RKM-SL2 module.

The NET card has been out for a few months now and the SL2 has not been released yet. I would suggest that you stick to praising the Profilux and not comment on the RKE since you don't know what is out and what isn't.

Profilux has had those features for awhile, and the RKE is still playing catchup.

That is correct. And what, my friend is wrong with that? Digital Aquatics is just one of many players in the market. They are making products that people want with features that people want. No one ever said that they are the only ones doing it. How long has the Profilux line been on the market? I would hazard to guess that when the RKE has been on the market an equal amount of time, they will be at least as strong, if not stronger. The advantage of playing catch up is you get to benefit from what the other people did before you. This in turn makes a better product.

About the Par sensor placement, you need to stop being so angry and think where would the sensor be place for data logging for long term accuracy.

Again, I am not seeing why you feel that I am angry. I have no issues with you or anybody that doesn't want a DA controller. It is personal preference. A controller is an expensive purchase, designed to protect an expensive investment, and it should be done with research and conviction. Anybody would be foolish to assume that every product a company puts out is the best. You need to remember that having more features or being on the market for a longer period of time does not make a controller better than all of the rest. What works for you, does not necessarily work for me. I will never worry about hooking up a PAR meter to my controller for two reasons: 1) I don't want any wires in my tank and, 2) I just don't need one. You, on the other hand, seem to feel that it is a valuable tool so you need a controller that can use one. That is the difference between us.

Now since the last several posts haven't even mentioned the Elos controller, which was part of the OP, I am through with this one.

As suspected, there isn't much to say about the Elos controller because the handful of people who must own one don't post on RC. What interests me in knowing more, is why it costs so much more and is the quality so much better?

Back