Elos Biotopus ll controller comments

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14813750#post14813750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveMorris

The NET card has been out for a few months now and the SL2 has not been released yet. I would suggest that you stick to praising the Profilux and not comment on the RKE since you don't know what is out and what isn't.

[/B]

The SL2 has been out for a couple of weeks now. Just thought I would throw that in there since you seem to be the one who doesn't know what is out and what isn't....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14813810#post14813810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmfish
As suspected, there isn't much to say about the Elos controller because the handful of people who must own one don't post on RC. What interests me in knowing more, is why it costs so much more and is the quality so much better?

Elos Biotous Controller has interesting features, when I was going through them, they had a lot of the features of the Profilux Controller, even has a Lux meter. :)
But at 3 x times cost of the current controllers.

When Comparing Electronic Equipment, you look at 3 things.

1) Functions
2) Design.
3) Manufacturing.

Functions, what can it do, how does it do it and how much can it do.

Design, Torrance of heat, cold, water, humility, do they use quality parts, how high can it be drop, how much weight can it hold, can cables be inserted in the wrong outlets, are the components spec out correctly with the proper torrence.
I can keep going on design issues all night, and some of these you may laugh, but the good designer do test them out.

Manufacturing, can the manufacturing plant make every equipment the same way, with the same reliability, do they use the same components, when they order parts is it in small or large quantities.

Functions is easy to see, just read what the controller does, you must sit down and do your homework on researching.

Design and manufacturing falls in the same area. You must look at the reviews, do owners all have the same problems or just a few of them. When do these problems occur and when does it stop. Do new ones pop after the controller been out for awhile.

The functions of Leos Baotou's seems to very good, but the lacking of any reviews is discouraging, especially when you get a differant controller at 1/3 of the price.
I hope this is what you where looking for.

Elos Home Page.
http://www.eloseurope.com/en/index....category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=87

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14813810#post14813810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmfish
As suspected, there isn't much to say about the Elos controller because the handful of people who must own one don't post on RC. What interests me in knowing more, is why it costs so much more and is the quality so much better?

ive got one. anything made in europe for reefing is going to cost a lot of money. they use the best components. fit and finish is paramount.

its like comparing a corvette with a porsche. you cant.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14814043#post14814043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cerobbins
The SL2 has been out for a couple of weeks now. Just thought I would throw that in there since you seem to be the one who doesn't know what is out and what isn't....

Let me assure you that I am very well aware of what DA is shipping and what they are not. Ask me any question about the RKE or the RKL and I will be able to answer it. And no, I am not on their payroll. I have a very extensive RKE system on my set up, an RKE system to test programming and modules, and an RKL system for testing as well. If they were shipping the SL2 I would have one already.

You may want to do some fact checking before you accuse people of not knowing what's what.

On the original topic of the Biotopus II, a friend of mine had one and I must say it looks absolutely beautiful. Not something I would keep under the tank behind closed doors. Other than that, I don't know much about it. He didn't keep it long enough to see it in action.

Dave,

I am really trying to be civil with you, but when does out of stock means not release yet?

The difference between a RKE and a Profilux owners is this.

RKe owner says, wow we got a new function like the Profilux has, woot.
The Profilux owner says whats does this new function do, never heard about it, cool.
Hence why I brought the Profilux i didn't need to wait for functions that has been out for years.
I get them now, and going get some new ones very soon with out the bugs. :D

As you can see cheap does not always mean reliable.

BTW, GHL has some new crazy sales going on now.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1618507

Can't wait to see what the up and coming Profilux costs.:D. I'm also waiting to see the specs of the new Neptune, Apex and as I understand it the RKE is bug free, although it did have it's fair share of bugs upon release. Neptune is usually pretty reliable out of the box from the beginning. GHL needs to bring those prices down permanently. Not just on the outgoing units to clear them out.

Last edited:
jtrasap,

I don't think you understand, there is no reason to clear their inventory up.
Plus II can be turned into a PIII by fitting the upgrade kit.

Thats why the Profilux is just a great deal, You will never have to replace the head unit to upgrade.

What sad, the other controllers are not doing this.
Apex Controller requires you to dump your old setup, all those with ACIII and ACIII pro are going to need ebay their controllers and maybe their accessory's.

All the Profilux Controller Owners that want the New Profilux III, only needs to buy the upgrade kit (current owners always get nice upgrade discounts for being loyal to GHL) and with free software for life.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14815952#post14815952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luisagos
Dave,

I am really trying to be civil with you, but when does out of stock means not release yet?

Anybody who has been following the progress of the release of RKE related modules would know that the SL2 has not been released yet. The reason why it says "Out of stock" on the web store is because it is out of stock. As in, they don't have any to sell.

You know a lot about the products that GHL is coming out with. I would not begin to tell you what is available from them or what isn't. You know much more about them than I do. The same holds true for me and Digital Aquatics. I am on the DA support forum everyday and keep up to date on their releases because it effects the controller that I have.

The difference between a RKE and a Profilux owners is this.

RKe owner says, wow we got a new function like the Profilux has, woot.
The Profilux owner says whats does this new function do, never heard about it, cool.
Hence why I brought the Profilux i didn't need to wait for functions that has been out for years.
I get them now, and going get some new ones very soon with out the bugs. :D

As you can see cheap does not always mean reliable.

BTW, GHL has some new crazy sales going on now.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1618507

I told you before that the GHL products cost too much for me and I chose not to use them. I really don't care if I have the absolute cutting edge module or feature on my controller. All I care about is does my controller do what I need it to do? The answer is yes with my RKE. And it is 100% reliable. Period.

From what I have read, the new Profilux has a completely new display so I would guess that it requires replacing the base unit, but GHL is giving a discount on the upgrade. Correct?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817188#post14817188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveMorris
Anybody who has been following the progress of the release of RKE related modules would know that the SL2 has not been released yet. The reason why it says "Out of stock" on the web store is because it is out of stock. As in, they don't have any to sell.

I know this is trival, but dont you have to put something in stock before you run out of it?
Just having fun Dave, hehe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817188#post14817188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveMorris
I told you before that the GHL products cost too much for me and I chose not to use them. I really don't care if I have the absolute cutting edge module or feature on my controller. All I care about is does my controller do what I need it to do? The answer is yes with my RKE. And it is 100% reliable. Period.

They just posted a sale this morning, $590 for the Profilux Plus with net, same price as a RKE ELITE with Net.
Maybe you need to start asking DA to lower their prices because it does have less functions then the Profilux Plus, just on a small note.

Always fun to debate with you.
Best wishes to you.

Anyone know if the RKE has the capabilities to dim T5's? Im really liking the fact the Apex can dim T5's.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817212#post14817212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jtrasap
From what I have read, the new Profilux has a completely new display so I would guess that it requires replacing the base unit, but GHL is giving a discount on the upgrade. Correct?

From What i have been told no need to dump the old PII base unit you will just fit an expansion card inside that will come with a larger LCD screen, furthermore there will be a head unit available also.

People that owns a Profilux controller knows that their controllers can be taking apart, unlike any controller on the market now.

They don't just promote reverse engineering, they really do mean it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817327#post14817327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Anyone know if the RKE has the capabilities to dim T5's? Im really liking the fact the Apex can dim T5's.

No idea Reefer08,

RKE cant even control Tunze last time i check. ( I am sure Dave will correct me if I am wrong).

But the Profilux Plus II can control up 6, 0-10vdc devices, Apex only has 4.

And Profilux just release this, I was too lazy to type it, so I copy and paste it. :)

The card PLM-DALI is able to control ballasts or other dimmable devices (e.g. transformers for halide lamps) with DALI. DALI is a digital bus interface, that means all devices are connected over just one twowire cable. The differentiation is achieved through different addresses.
Advantages over the 1-10V interface are mainly the much easier wiring and the complete shut-off at 0% (using a 1-10V-interface an external shut-off circuit is needed, e.g. EVG-AP).

Technical data
- Up to 50 devices can be connected to one PLM-DALI
- The devices can be divided into 16 groups, each group represents one ProfiLux illumination channel
- DALI-port is galvanically isolated

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=146

Too bad the people you are talking to live mostly in the USA where we have 110 outlets instead of 220... Dali ballasts are only made in 200 now

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817449#post14817449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Doahh
Too bad the people you are talking to live mostly in the USA where we have 110 outlets instead of 220... Dali ballasts are only made in 200 now

I am not saying your wrong, but i found this when i was looking into dimmable lights.

http://content.sylvania.com/app/display.aspx?id=003678770

Btw, Every house has 220v anyways, hence our ovens, dryers, washing machine and some window air conditioner run on on 220v.

It is not hard to wired a electrical socket for 220v, just need to find the two difference phase on the electrical Panel.

GHL needs to bring those prices down permanently
Why does everything have to be about price with Marine hobbyist,

It cost what it cost.

The ghl does not even cost that much more and you get more features.

Back