Elos Biotopus ll controller comments

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14769881#post14769881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmfish
How is the price of this controller justified?

If you're still reading this off topic thread, the two things that make this controller unique are the fact that it's open source.

So if you're a programmer, or know one, the world is your oyster. I don't know what the language is, or what it's capable of doing, but the added flexibility can be appreciated.

Also, it sends alerts via SMS, which eliminates the need for it to be connected to a router on a back up battery.

I hear from my Elos friends that it's robust, and easy to program.

Is it expensive? Sure, but it's a nice unit, and they do have some curious features and add ons. If I had the cash, I'd give it a whirl. Why the heck not? No controller is perfect, and they all suck in their own ways. If I had an Elos tank, I'd drop the cash to get one.

I'm a Neptune dude, but I wouldn't mind trying a Profilux, IKS, or Biotopus. IMHO, if it weren't for the Aquasurf, I would have switched already.

Open source is a can of worms.

You can damage equipments or even worst destroy your reef.
You really do need to know what your doing, and if your just using someone else work off the net, you going to need to trust the person.
With all the griefers we have today, wouldnt take much to boil your tank or even to over dose it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14802131#post14802131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Giga
how is anything elos justified

I assume you haven't seen a elos tank.

I have and I agree that everything Elos is too pricey. I have seen tanks built by Leemar look as good or better for 1/3 the cost. However, we all have our differing opinions.

Back