Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

That is just ridiculous...nobody has the patience to set a sump up like that..? Do they. .?. Congrats on a superb bit of work

Nice!! Can`t believe how neat that sump is. Note to self- do not post pic of my sump - makes me ashamed...lol

#sumpenvy

Everything is aesthetically perfect.... its like XXX reefing. Very inspiring build you have going, I cant wait to at your level.

That is just ridiculous...nobody has the patience to set a sump up like that..? Do they. .?. Congrats on a superb bit of work

Thank you all!

I'll leave you with a FTS w/ sump :)

Reefer 525XL -3-09-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Can't wait to see the cycle really start and some corals make there way in.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I don't even know what I'm looking at but it looks amazing!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

haha thanks!

Can't wait to see the cycle really start and some corals make there way in.

Not sure if the tank will goo through the typical cycle, this bacteria seems to be the real deal so far.

Did you paint the plumbing or use colored pvc or something else? Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colored PVC from Aquarium Specialty

Like most Red Sea Reefer owners I was also using 1/2" loc line to split my return nozzle not only to aim the flow to different areas of the tank but to stop the sand from getting blown towards the back of the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics makes a custom 3D printed Loc-Line Adapter for the Red Sea Reefer tanks so I decided to try it in hopes that I gained a bit more flow out of my return pump since their adapter is for 3/4" Loc-Line. Im not running the pump at 100% so I can still increase the speed to get more flow back to the tank but I know the "U" in my manifold is creating a lot of head pressure so Im willing to try anything to reduce the head pressure cause by the "U" bend. By installing the 3/4" adapter from TSA with 3/4" lic-line I gained a little over 250 l/ph from my return pump still running it at the same speed.

Over all Im very pleased with the results and very happy that I switched the adapter and loc-line to 3/4".

I highly recommend that if you have a RS Reefer you give this a try, totally worth the extra money.

Link to product: http://topshelfaquatics.com/product/red-sea-reefer-lockline-adapter-nozzle/

Here are a few images of the adapter and loc-line installed on my Reefer525xl.

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-6 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-8 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-3 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-5 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Not only does it look way better than the nub but also functions better.... Thats a win win in my book. Ill be getting one of these if I decide to join the reefer wagon for sure.

This is one sick set-up, absolutely gorgeous. I am currently on the fence with buying a lightly used reefer and watching this build might just send me over the edge. Nice work dude!

Not only does it look way better than the nub but also functions better.... Thats a win win in my book. Ill be getting one of these if I decide to join the reefer wagon for sure.

Any updates???
Not much has happened since the last update. I've been running the lights at a higher intensity for a longer period of time because I have a few corals in the tank so algae is beginning to show on the rocks and sand bed, nothing too bad yet.

What skimmer and return pump are you running?
The return pump is a Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 80w and the skimmer is also RE Bubble king 180.

This is one sick set-up, absolutely gorgeous. I am currently on the fence with buying a lightly used reefer and watching this build might just send me over the edge. Nice work dude!
If you do get it Im sure you won't regret it. These are very nice tanks.

How do you like the AquaDriver? Looking forward to a longer term review
Well its been running for just a couple of weeks but so far there is nothing to not like about it. Build quality is outstanding, no other like it on the market that I am aware of. The dual swabbie design is great, it keeps the neck and top of the lid clean. It also sucks water from inside the skimmer as the motor spins and sprays it on the neck so the silicone swabbie has no resistant as it spins. Love the high speed motor. The only thing I did not get with mine was the wash down ring. I fell like $100 extra for just a piece of ro tubing was a bit too much. Maybe if I had one of the monster skimmer with huge cups I would have gotten it but this is an average size skimmer so removing the cup once a month to clean it shouldn't be too bad. The neck cleaner does a great job at keeping the neck clean so Im sure I could go even longer than a month if I wanted to as long as I just drain the cup.

Great job on this build!
Thank you :)

Lets continue with the tank build :) There are no plans to set up a frag tank anytime soon so I need a place to hold my frags till they encrust a bit and I move them to the rock work. I wanted something slim and small with a decent surface area. Zen Reef had the perfect frag rack. It holds 48 plugs and its only 13" long by 3" wide and the magnet is super strong. It comes with the grip locks so no snails will be knocking down the plugs like it usually happens when they are resting on egg crate.

I know not much of an update but its something :)

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017-2 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017-3 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017-4 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Can't wait to see more pics of this tank!!!

More pictures are coming soon!!!! Not much to show now as not much has change. Im still working on the right side of the cabinet where my controller is so hopefully I get the last piece of the puzzle this week so that I can finish it and upload a few pics. Don't get too excited thought, nothing crazy going on the right side. Just a basic layout thats organized and neat.

Back