Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

Not much has happened in the last few days... Being sick as a dog really doesn't help so the build has been put on hold. I received my under cabinet LED light today and since I was feeling a little bit better I decided to get it mounted and will tidy up all the wiring tomorrow. Oh I did get the tank filled on Friday and luckily there was only a small drip coming out of the drain pipe. A simple 1/4" turn fix the leak. I then added Fritz RPM salt so we now its official, we got a Saltwater tank again!! :)

Reefer 525XL -2-27-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Looks great! But arent you worried that the outflow from the reactors are gonna make a lot of noise?

Looks great! But arent you worried that the outflow from the reactors are gonna make a lot of noise?

Thank you. I will be using a couple to make the out go below the surface. I did it this way so that I can see how much water/flow is coming out then I can just put on the coupling and there will be zero noise.

Plumbing looks great. For the reactors, how do you plan to rinse the media? Also, if the power goes off, can the sump handle the amount of water being drawn to the sump?

Plumbing looks great. For the reactors, how do you plan to rinse the media? Also, if the power goes off, can the sump handle the amount of water being drawn to the sump?

Media will be washed in the sink before putting the reactor back on the manifold. As for the sump yes it can handle it. The return nozzle is half an inch under the surface so not much water gets siphoned down into the sump. As for the overflow box, barely any water from there goes doing since the pipes are close to the surface as well.

Not much to report but something is better than nothing :) I was able to get the Powermodule somewhat programmed this weekend. For now Im not running the T5's as I have no corals in the tank, why waste the bulbs :). Im only running the LED's at 10% and mostly white just to give the fish some light...

I added 8oz of Fritz Turbostart 900 so I was able to add fish immediately after. Fish have been in the tank now for 4 days and there has been zero ammonia spike. I will be adding the skimmer tomorrow or Tuesday because after the introduction of Fritz turbostart the skimmer needs to be off for 5 days and since I had yet to put it in the sump I decided to just wait.

Here is a FTS, you can see the new inhabitants on the right side. 3 Lyretail anthias.

Reefer 525XL -3-05-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Not much has happened in the last few days... Being sick as a dog really doesn't help so the build has been put on hold. I received my under cabinet LED light today and since I was feeling a little bit better I decided to get it mounted and will tidy up all the wiring tomorrow. Oh I did get the tank filled on Friday and luckily there was only a small drip coming out of the drain pipe. A simple 1/4" turn fix the leak. I then added Fritz RPM salt so we now its official, we got a Saltwater tank again!! :)

Reefer 525XL -2-27-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

That's not even real. It's a 3D rendering. You can't fool me!!!

Now I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and start saying LA-LA-LA-LA-LA as you try to tell me it's not a rendering.

Anybody who knows Eric, knows how OCD he can be... oh, was that a secret Eric! Sorry!:beer:

Glad to see things coming along. It's hard to believe the new system is even cleaner than the old one!:thumbsup:

Haha no Ron that is not a secret! And thank! The asthetics on this one is definitely much better than the old system. Hopefully I can get the corals to look as good as they did in the old tank before the crash...

Did you need to heat it or can you just put it on flat panels? Any other sump-scaping suggestions?

No, it can be used on flat panels. Just spray soapy water on the glass and on the sticky side of the vinyl, lay it on the glass and use a stray edge like a credit card to remove the water and air bubbles, then use a razor to cut off the excess vinyl.

Today, 5-6 days after adding the Fritz Turbostart 900 I unboxed the skimmer, took a few pictures and in the sump it went. I also got the Helix neck cleaner connected to my Profilux and programmed to run once a day for 15secs. The skimmer level is low because it will need to break in so the output is completely open and the pump is set at 14w.

I also calibrated all my probes and cleaned up the wires.

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-2 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-3 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-4 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-5 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-7 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-8 by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Everything is aesthetically perfect.... its like XXX reefing. Very inspiring build you have going, I cant wait to at your level.

Back