Experienced Reefer w/ Horrible QT Outcome

jonnybravo22

Hey all,

I had a parasite wipe out my tank last year and have decided to QT everything from now on. I've been reefing for something like 12 years and until recently haven't really had a problem keeping most fish alive (SPS is another story). I've even bred clownfish and successfully raised the fry.

But I've never done a QT tank before. I recently got some anthias fish and they didn't last 24 hours in my QT setup. It's very disheartening and embarrassing, and I guess I need help.

My setup is shown here:

IMG_5065.jpg

1. 10G standard tank, wiped down with water and paper towels (but not vinegar) before use
2. 50W Heater
3. Sponge filter
4. Airstone (added later)
5. PVC elbow and tubing to hide in
6. Live rock (added later from the sump of my 3+ year old setup)
7. Rubber pad which was holding another pump before that was removed

Attempt: 3 small bartlett's anthias.

I drip acclimated for an hour, matched QT salinity to shipping water salinity (1.015); I used new saltwater water to fill the 10g; bath in methlyne blue for 45 minutes in a 5g bucket and put into QT;

Things I know I did wrong:
1. bad heater creating awful temperature swings
2. probably should have used bleach/vinegar to clean the tank initially

What happened:
They were happy and healthy, breathing normally up until the point where I put them into the QT. After a few hours I could see they were breathing heavily. I checked the temp and it was a ridiculous 85 degrees instead of 77, so my heater was bad. I tried another one, also was bad (stayed on in high temp water) so I unplugged it to let the temp come down; At the same time I checked ammonia and it was at 0.25ppm on API so I did a 25% water change and grab some Live rock from my main sump hoping it can drop the ammonia levels. I check back in a few hours and it's still 0.25ppm ammonia. Temp has dropped to 72 with no heater, fish are breathing heavily, and at this point I'm freaking out.

All this was happening overnight, so no stores are open. Fearing ammonia is the cause, I grab the fish, put them back in the 5g bucket warmed to temp (77) with all newly mixed water from my reservoir (mixed a day ago) and add some methylene blue for the purpose of reducing stress and making oxygen more available (or so I've heard about this product).

When 9am comes I run to the nearest pet store and get a working heater, and an airstone to add to the sponge filter, thinking that maybe the filter alone isn't enough gas exchange. I also get Amguard to at least stabilize the ammonia situation / render it non-toxic until I can figure this out.

When I get back I added the airstone, Amguard and working heater to the QT, and once temp was at 77 I moved the fish back. Only 1 was still alive at this point. It was breathing more rapidly than any fish I'd ever seen and a few hours later was unfortunately dead.

This is a huge setback and very unfortunate, and rather than throw my hands up and say who knows what happened, I'm trying to learn what can be done so this goes better next time.

I know the temp swings were not helpful. Don't know if that alone would kill a fish in 24 hours but coupled with any ammonia maybe. Particularly at high temps.

But ammonia should have been 0. I don't know why ammonia registered in the tank so quickly. my makeup water tests 0 as does my display tank.

Questions:
1. Is it possible for 3 small bartlett's to produce .25ppm in a 10g in only 3 or 4 hours? I know they have high metabolisms but...

2. If that's the case I don't know how you would ever medicate a QT because any medication that kills nitrifying bacteria (copper, methylene blue, etc.) will make it so the only ammonia reduction comes from water changes, and that would be impossible to keep up with if you get up to 0.25ppm every 4 hours. I'd be doing water changes every hour to keep it undetectable.

3. Am I missing something here?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
** Requesting mod to move to reef discussion forum. **

There was an equipment failure contributing to the issue but I don't really have questions about the equipment ....maybe the filtration, but... perhaps more relevant for general discussion.

That looks like a lot of stress after shipping and anthias aren't the hardiest of fish, so that may have been a factor.

It should have taken a day or so before the ammonia showed up, but by dropping the salinity you do suppress the bacteria so there could have been some die off from animals(pods.ect) in the rock as well as some bacteria which could show up on your ammonia read out.

I usually use approx. 70% water from my display and top off the rest with new water.

Was the rock a piece that was in your display? It should have had plenty of bacteria in it to maintain for intial setup till the sponge filter gets colonized which is a good 2 weeks at least.

Copper won't kill the bacteria but it will suppress it, so it requires you to have an established filter before hand............it can't be a fresh setup. If so, like you say you'd have to keep that stable through water changes. It takes a few days for that to buld up though if it's zero to start.

Under your circumstances I would have probably split the difference and targeted approx 1.020-22 and have the fish acclimate to it than have the bacteria get that stressed.

If the salinity matches I just throw the fish in after 10 min. temp acclimation.

The best thing to do is prepare a good QT and then buy fish. In other words it's better to do this as a one month prep.

Hope this helps

Where these fish shipped overnight from an online retailer? If so, as soon as you opened the bag, the ammonia in the shipping water starts to increase and doing a drip acclimation prolonged the fish being exposed to the ammonia and in my mind, poisoning and eventually killing the fish.

Usually when I get a fish shipment in, I find out what the SG of the water that the fish are in and being shipped in and match my QT to the shipping water. When the fish arrive, I open the box with no light on in the room or tank and float the bag for 20 min or so to temp acclimate. After the temp acclimation, I dump the fish in trying not to get any of the shipping water in the QT tank.

That looks like a lot of stress after shipping and anthias aren't the hardiest of fish, so that may have been a factor.

Yeah, I think you're right about that; Need this to go much more smoothly next time around.

It should have taken a day or so before the ammonia showed up, but by dropping the salinity you do suppress the bacteria so there could have been some die off from animals(pods.ect) in the rock as well as some bacteria which could show up on your ammonia read out.

That's what I'd have thought. It surprised me that the QT was registering any ammonia. People have suggested to me that the API kit for ammonia isn't great and maybe was off, but I did notice a difference in color compared to my display tank which for me clearly registered as 0 ammonia.

Was the rock a piece that was in your display? It should have had plenty of bacteria in it to maintain for intial setup till the sponge filter gets colonized which is a good 2 weeks at least.

Yes the rock came from the sump of my main system; I didn't add it until after I had the fish in there and noticed the ammonia at 0.25ppm. I thought it would fix it overnight but in the AM the ammonia was still 0.25ppm and then the temp issues on top of that.

Copper won't kill the bacteria but it will suppress it, so it requires you to have an established filter before hand............it can't be a fresh setup. If so, like you say you'd have to keep that stable through water changes. It takes a few days for that to buld up though if it's zero to start.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip. I guess I was thinking it was all or nothing so why bother. Good to know.

Given where I am now, I'm thinking I'll let the rock continue to seed the sponge filter and test some ammonia added to the tank until I can see it getting nitrified then, remove the rock as folks are saying it's better to not have rock when medicating in QT.

Thanks.

Where these fish shipped overnight from an online retailer? If so, as soon as you opened the bag, the ammonia in the shipping water starts to increase and doing a drip acclimation prolonged the fish being exposed to the ammonia and in my mind, poisoning and eventually killing the fish.

Usually when I get a fish shipment in, I find out what the SG of the water that the fish are in and being shipped in and match my QT to the shipping water. When the fish arrive, I open the box with no light on in the room or tank and float the bag for 20 min or so to temp acclimate. After the temp acclimation, I dump the fish in trying not to get any of the shipping water in the QT tank.

Thanks! I had heard that before but was definitely not consciously considering that when I acclimated this time.

I have mostly acclimated fish from online orders that were shipped to me, but in thinking about it I did make 2 crucial differences with this acclimation.

1. Because I was acclimating to a QT with salinity that exactly matched the shipping water, I somehow saw the acclimation as less important and therefore didn't do something I do every other time. I normally let the water volume double, then remove half the water, and repeat this twice. This time I just let the water volume accumulate, so I wasn't reducing the ammonia like I should have over that hour.

2. I did a methylene blue bath for 45 minutes with newly made saltwater at the same parameters. I don't know if this step harmed anything, or if it helped anything. I saw a video of melev doing it so seemed like a reasonable thing, and also read about it potentially reversing some of the negative effects of cyanide poisoning so I thought that'd be useful.

It sounds from the responses like folks think the fish were basically so damaged from the acclimation that they were going to die in QT no matter what? That the QT setup wasn't really the issue, it was what happened before they got there (of course not helped by the added stress of the temp swings)?

Back