Fake mangrove?

Definitely. I looked for a pre-made mangrove for my tank, but there were none tall enough, so I made one. Also, the main reason I made mine was to conceal a powerhead.

That 12 long tank is cool too. The only reason not to do it would be if the fake root's too big for it. I don't see a measurement for it on the web site.

It certainly looks a lot better than many that I have seen before. That website is the only place that sells it, though, and it does seem a little shady.

I decided to give it a shot despite no information. I placed the order, entered my shipping information, and paid $7 shipping. After placing the order I received an email stating the item is for store pickup only on New York. This was not mentioned anywhere in the ordering process. I sent them an email telling them that I need to cancel my order if that is truly the case. I haven't heard back but will call when I get a chance.

I'm not very impressed.

They emailed to say that the "in store pickup" was a mistake. Then, they emailed back to say the item I purchased is no longer in stock... hah.

I ended up finding a similar item on Amazon. The Weco mangrove roots look pretty sweet, I think. Just hard to find them. Your DIY ones look pretty awesome, but I'm not sure I have that skill. This is what I am planning on (generally) in my 12 long:
AAB9097B-EC0B-4F2C-A441-EEAE42E7F7B8_zpsf0d8smca.jpg

Great sketch! Nice layout!

There's a gorgeous 12L tank online. It's in a window with no lighting. She's got small seagrasses and macros and fish. Inspirational.

I look forward to more!

I may have to get one of these fake mangroves rather than trying to make one myself. Not sure it would look as good as the commercial ones :) Thanks for posting the info.

Here is what it looks like. I think it will work. Maybe I will start a build thread on the relatively obscure macroalgae sub forum. It seems like we could use some more.
AC36DB10-1813-46AB-BE26-F37E14D26077_zpsed1ghuuq.jpg

As one who has spent some time snorkeling around a lot of mangrove roots, those look really good.

I'm converting over my 65g shallow reef tank (4'x2'x14") from a 'catch all' spare tank to a local only tank. I collect in the Gulf of Mexico off SW Florida and in the Florida Keys. Currently I have 25 lbs of TBS live rock, some of my old LR a Gulf Toadfish that came with the TBS LR and a coral banded shrimp caught in the Keys. I might just have to consider some of the mangrove roots as they look pretty cool. I do have a real mangrove growing in this tank and one in my display refugium with my 125g sps & lps reef tank. After all, we find the mangrove propagules all over the place on the beach.

As one who has spent some time snorkeling around a lot of mangrove roots, those look really good.

I'm converting over my 65g shallow reef tank (4'x2'x14") from a 'catch all' spare tank to a local only tank. I collect in the Gulf of Mexico off SW Florida and in the Florida Keys. Currently I have 25 lbs of TBS live rock, some of my old LR a Gulf Toadfish that came with the TBS LR and a coral banded shrimp caught in the Keys. I might just have to consider some of the mangrove roots as they look pretty cool. I do have a real mangrove growing in this tank and one in my display refugium with my 125g sps & lps reef tank. After all, we find the mangrove propagules all over the place on the beach.

I didn't think it looked too bad, either. When I was younger we went to they Keys every summer to snorkel, dive, and lobster. This is going to be a bit of a nostalgia tank, I think. There is something about the "dirty" Keys mangrove lagoon reefs and patch reefs that I really enjoy. Not pristine, lots of algae and little critters roaming about. I really wanted to get a couple of TBS rocks for this tank, but there is no economic way to just get a couple pieces.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511350

Some of the photos have gone away, but it might bring back a memory or two! My wife and I snorkel the Keys 3 to 5 long weekends every year for the past 12 years. It used to be just snorkeling off the beach or with the big reef with a charter trip. Now we have an 11' Zodiac and can get to uninhabited islands that are just far enough off shore to be much more pristine. However, finding shallow flats that are better to snorkel than Bahia Honda State Park right off the beach isn't easy!

This spring we plan to do an overnight camping trip out at Ft Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas (70 miles west from Key West for those unfamiliar with the area). Pretty good snorkeling and very cool fort. We hope to get in a night snorkel along the mote around the fort and to see the Milky Way stretched out across the night sky with the nearest lights being 70 miles to the east!

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511350

Some of the photos have gone away, but it might bring back a memory or two! My wife and I snorkel the Keys 3 to 5 long weekends every year for the past 12 years. It used to be just snorkeling off the beach or with the big reef with a charter trip. Now we have an 11' Zodiac and can get to uninhabited islands that are just far enough off shore to be much more pristine. However, finding shallow flats that are better to snorkel than Bahia Honda State Park right off the beach isn't easy!

This spring we plan to do an overnight camping trip out at Ft Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas (70 miles west from Key West for those unfamiliar with the area). Pretty good snorkeling and very cool fort. We hope to get in a night snorkel along the mote around the fort and to see the Milky Way stretched out across the night sky with the nearest lights being 70 miles to the east!

Very cool. We have some friends in Miami that we go with. It used to be every year, but now I go every few when I am less busy. My parents make it down every year and have for the past 25 years. They are mostly lobsterers, so we would go to less "pretty" reefs in order to find better lobster spots. My friends and I have gone on some charter dives in the area, as well, which have been nice. We mostly hang around Key Largo. I haven't been back in 3 or 4 years, but I think I might get back this next summer. It would be nice to live close enough to make it a long weekend, but for me it is still a major vacation (coming from Nebraska).

Hello,
they sell similar things here in Europe.
I gave them a try, and wouldn't do it anymore.
I don't want to scare you, but I noticed the "painting" on it slowly disappeared after a couple of years, especially after I gently scratched them a bit, in order to get rid of bubble algaes, for example.
I have no idea if this may be toxic for the tanks inhabitants, but I would not take the risk anymore and rather go for dead Acropora branches (upside down, they can really look like Mangrove roots after a while), or for live mangroves and just wait for roots... (well, wait and wait again... :D)

Hello,
they sell similar things here in Europe.
I gave them a try, and wouldn't do it anymore.
I don't want to scare you, but I noticed the "painting" on it slowly disappeared after a couple of years, especially after I gently scratched them a bit, in order to get rid of bubble algaes, for example.
I have no idea if this may be toxic for the tanks inhabitants, but I would not take the risk anymore and rather go for dead Acropora branches (upside down, they can really look like Mangrove roots after a while), or for live mangroves and just wait for roots... (well, wait and wait again... :D)

You'd have to get some seriously large dead coral branches for this to work. Not sure if it's feasible. Might could try branch rock though.

Back