Februrary Meeting 2-16-08

I was kidding about the bar. However I think we should hold off on the beer othewise our next meeting will be an AA meeting with 13 steps.

I may have some boring pictures to show everyone at the meeting as well if you guys can stand it for a little bit. Managed to get a couple days of diving in and rented a sweet camera.

Jon

I think if you came home without diving that reef and with pictures I would have to lynch you on principle alone.

another-fish-welcome.gif
TO DRC, Josh

Hi Everyone
My name is Dan and I am planning on joining the club. I am planning on attending the meeting also. Kinda get my feet wet, so to speak,,hehe. I had "fish only" marine tanks for years, then I fell away from it for the last 10 yrs or so. This is my first foray into reef tanks so I feel like a virgin again,,lol. I look forward to learning a lot and making some good friends. See everyone at the meeting.

Welcome Dan. We'll see you at the meeting. In the mean time if you want you can let us know what your plans are. Like... how big of a tank are you thinking about? Have you thought about what type of corals? Have you bought anything yet? Are there particular fish you want? Make a new post and we can start to talk about it. We love to help.

Jonathon

Hi Jonathon
I have a 55 gal that I just set up a couple of weeks ago. I have about 50 lbs of live rock in it, was given some copepods to get it going also.. I have some dead ornamental coral in there also,, overall not a bad looking set up,,, if I can, I will bring a couple of pics with me. In the next couple of years I am going to be building a huge log home and we are planning on putting in a good sized aquarium in the basement. We are looking at a minimum of a 150 gal tank. I am not real familiar yet with the different kinds of corals for tanks, as I always just had "fish only" tanks before. So far my tank is coming along fine. I bought 4 "sacrificial" damsels to help the system get going, along with the live sand, live rock and everything else that has been given to me to get it going. I figure in the next couple of weeks I am going to start getting a couple of fish and may try a couple of different soft corals. I am about ready to go out when I am done this reply to get a t5 light system for the corals. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting more deeply involved in this great hobby.

Hey Dan, Welcome. Please send me your email address so I can send directions to the meeting.

Al
DRC President

I am back. It is fixed
So Dan Welcome to RC and DRC
Please send me your email address to this account as the other account will be deleted soon.

Al
Thanks for the welcome. I am soooo looking forward to this. My email address is .................. Am looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing that massive 125 gallon tank that looks awesome. Also,, what is a frag? Seems that everyone is supposed to bring one. I don't want to be the oddball at the meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it finfan10 (Dan). You should use pm or email to give your email address out. On the internet spambots will find it and you will get a ton of crap.

A frag is a small piece of coral that is broken off or cut off a larger piece. This is a mystery frag swap so you will put in one frag that you have extra of and get a small one back. We are looking for a piece that will do well under low to medium light with about 2/3 pollips or heads for a softy or 1 crown for a hard. SPS corals usually need a lot of light so not all our members have the light for them. It is not required. If you are just starting out you may not have something big enough to frag yet. Just come to learn. At my first meeting I got my first 2 corals. I lost one and the other I fragged for another member last month.

Last edited:
Everyone who is bringing a frag please read.

Could you put the name of the coral and your name on the bag with a marker or on a piece of paper and tape it to the bag. This will make it easier for the receiver to know what they have and who they can direct questions too about the corals care.

Ok I am done sending the emails/pms out if I missed you I am sorry, please send me a pm so I can correct our email list.

I sent out 67 emails and 46 pms. I didn't realize there were this many past and present reefers in DE. Please make sure we have you current information. We send one message a month so make sure your spam filter does not delete the messasge.

I have to say this will be the last month we will send out pms for a meeting. We will need a valid email address to send you current DRC info. It takes 3 seconds to send 67 but over an hour to send 46 through RC. If I was paid by the hour I would send the pms out, but I am here to have fun too.

crap meetings at the 3...i work til 4 so idk about it...maybe ill get out early since its a sat but even still its up in the air

Back