Feeding the same food all the time leads to fat and potential sick fish

Acolin

In fact, I met a woman last week (April, 2017) who said her Puffer got lockjaw on a Krill only diet. She fed it clam juice through a syringe for two weeks until its jaw unlocked! I heard of Lionfish dying on a goldfish-only diet.

A friend who used to run a small service company reported the same issue with a puffer that was fed krill only. He was able to get it to suck in spirulina flakes and regain function.

Thanks for sharing- makes sense :) a human that only ate steak would probably get clogged up as well haha

I only feed full spectrum thera A with a nori sheet every now and then and have amazing colors and health. I could see this with a lower grade food or same frozen mysis all the time.

New Spectrum Thera-A LOOKS like a really good food with south Antarctic krill, herring, squid, new Zealand mussel protein, algae and vegetable meal, but I would still NOT feed only the same food all the time! Wheat Flour is their number four ingredient, while Soybean Isolate is number six. So while they list a lot of nutritious ingredients, they are still selling mostly Krill Meal and Whole Herring Meal. I would supplement with fresh, raw and shredded tiny Salmon bits. It is a cheaper, real food with oils and pigments.

Last edited:
In my FREE grab bag of goodies is a jar of Wardley’s Turtle Delite, which turns out to be pure dried shrimp (50% protein). At the $6.32 online price, the 1.4 ounce jar works out to $1,156 per pound! That is HALF the average cost of my seven commercial tropical fish foods.

At $9.99 for 4.4 ounces, Thera-A is not wildly expensive for what is basically shrimp and fish meal. It works out to $581 per pound, well below my $3,300 average, on my short 8-food list. Only Shrimp Pellets are cheaper, at $315/lb. Fresh, raw Salmon is a lot better and cheaper though.

it also has a lot of additives: Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.

In fact, I met a woman last week (April, 2017) who said her Puffer got lockjaw on a Krill only diet. She fed it clam juice through a syringe for two weeks until its jaw unlocked! I heard of Lionfish dying on a goldfish-only diet.

The reality is an improper diet is bad. Before anybody gets a fish, they should educate themselves on any special dietary needs. There's already plenty of great frozen mixed foods on the market. So you can feed your fish the same food & have your fish perfectly healthy. The above situations is pretty much animal neglect. Goldfish only diet to a lionfish?

Yeah, decades ago, live goldfish were the only feeder fish, today I would feed as wide a variety as possible, live, frozen and freeze-dried. Bait shops have cheap live shrimp and fish. They also have frozen silver-sides and squid. Predators will eat a variety of earth and meal worms.

Yeah, decades ago, live goldfish were the only feeder fish, today I would feed as wide a variety as possible, live, frozen and freeze-dried. Bait shops have cheap live shrimp and fish. They also have frozen silver-sides and squid. Predators will eat a variety of earth and meal worms.

I am not sure I would trust bait shop frozen baits...Most of that stuff is pretty rancid looking/smelling

Back