What I do to keep fish healthy

Paul, could you expand a little on your process of adding fish oil to your food in the autofeeder? Obviously excess oil will clog and clump the autofeeder up? I'm considering putting a pellet, freeze dried cyclopeze, fish oil combo in my feeder but in ratios that permit the machine to still operate correctly. Thanks!

The most important foods in my opinion are the live ones like the worms. Then the whole foods like the clams, but I also like fish oil. I take about 20 sinking pellets and put them in a small dry container. To that I add about 2 drops of fish oil that I harvest by sticking a pin in the end of a fish oil capsule and squeeze. Try not to get it on the walls, windows or your eye, it stinks.
I shake up the pellets to get them coated, then let that sit a few hours or overnight. All the oil soaks in then I put that in the auto feeder.
I also sometimes do the same thing with flakes and put that in the feeder, but you have to let it soak in for a day or so or you will make an oil slick.
You can not put oil on wet foods as it will just wash off as soon as it hits the water. People who soak frozen food in Selcon are not doing anything as it just comes off as soon as it hits the water.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. My Lyretails eat mysis aggressively but I wish to supplement that during the day with the auto feeder. Maybe they'll be interested in pellets that have fish oil soaked-in. As for live worms, what's your opinion on the frozen black worms? Worth the effort for those of us who do not have access to live?

As much as I'd like to feed clams, I have a Deresa and don't want the fish getting any ideas on self-serve!

I never say frozen blackworms so sometimes I freeze them myself like if I am going on vacation, but if you can get them, I would use them.

Blackworms, not bloodworms.

I would imagine frozen ones would be almost as good as live ones. Not freeze dried, but frozen.
Seems like a lot of money for worms though.

The most important foods in my opinion are the live ones like the worms. Then the whole foods like the clams, but I also like fish oil. I take about 20 sinking pellets and put them in a small dry container. To that I add about 2 drops of fish oil that I harvest by sticking a pin in the end of a fish oil capsule and squeeze. Try not to get it on the walls, windows or your eye, it stinks.
I shake up the pellets to get them coated, then let that sit a few hours or overnight. All the oil soaks in then I put that in the auto feeder.
I also sometimes do the same thing with flakes and put that in the feeder, but you have to let it soak in for a day or so or you will make an oil slick.
You can not put oil on wet foods as it will just wash off as soon as it hits the water. People who soak frozen food in Selcon are not doing anything as it just comes off as soon as it hits the water.

How long do you have to feed the pellets once they are soaked in oil? I've done that a few times, but I never make more than to last one feeding. I was always under the impression that fish oil spoils pretty quickly when exposed to air at room temperature. If I could make a few days worth at a time that would be the bee's knees.

Josh

I don't keep them more than about a week because most of them go in an automatic feeder and thats about how long they are in there

Has anyone made a blender mush with clams, shrimp,oysters. Then spread it across a fine grid and freeze it. Then when your ready to feed push the square thew the grid and dropped it in? Unfrozen though right lol? I'm just thinking about what I should be feeding my fish, ( when I get them of course lol) that would be cost efficient and I could by locally at the grocery store. Oh and I'm talking about canned oysters in water. Frozen clams, I don't think I could get them fresh around here. And like a small shrimp ring or frozen whole shrimp with
Guts included, ( if i could find that even). Then some regular pellet food with some fish oil aswell? I'm totally new to this hobby and I'm still in the building planning stages

Many people do and have done that, and you can, but it is messy and exudes juice all over the tank as shellfish tend to get very slimy when they are blended. But try it.

Freeze the clams whole, and shave off paper thin slices with a knife.

IMG_1578.jpg

I'm not sure we're to get those around here, I'm living in a small canadian town called brantford. Been to many grocery stores but never have I seen just live clams. The ones I see are smaller, frozen and bagged. I seen that pic earlier and thought, we're would I get my hands on those.

I noticed that you feed BBS daily. I've been doing the same thing since I've been raising a batch of Banggai fry. Somewhere along the line I've picked up the notion that brine shrimp can contribute to higher levels of harmful bacteria in one's tank. Have you noticed anything of the sort, or do you do anything to counter-act bacteria? (probiotics, etc.)

Somewhere along the line I've picked up the notion that brine shrimp can contribute to higher levels of harmful bacteria in one's tank. Have you noticed anything of the sort, or do you do anything to counter-act bacteria? (probiotics, etc.)

Where did you get that idea?
I never used probiotics for anything and I have not used any antibiotic for anything elther. Not in decades.

I think the shells are trouble . They need to be separated out very well.
The newly hatched brine should be fed within a few hours after hatching. Peeferably rinsed first. They have a yolk sac to feed on when first hatched. This sac contains most of the nutrition. They can be fed (enriched ) after a day , which is when they develop a mouth, and then fed to fish as well.

They and other foods will not cause or prevent disease when used properly . Vibrio bacteria is a concern with many fresh or frozen foods , particularly with sensitive species like seahorses.

This was a great read and really entertaining as well. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to do it.

Just as it is with most things in life, there are usually multiple paths to an end goal. Experience and simply paying attention goes a long way. You have some really good insight here and I plan to try and expand my feeding routine based on it. Thank you!

Sharkks, thank you, If you do this for long enough, by default you have to learn something. I probably have kept a few of every fish that has ever been kept in a reef and of course killed most of them, the rest either died of old age or I gave them away, sometimes to a public aquarium.
As I said, some of my fish are 19 years old, many people,(or maybe most) think my ideas can't possably work and I am just very lucky. Maybe I am.
But if you have followed my posts for the last ten years then either you have no life or you may be interested in what I am saying. Or of course you are amused and can't wait until my tank crashes from either fungus, hair algae, power shortage, nuclear fallout, white ich, black ich, blue ich, flatworms, oval worms, ringworm, sguare worm, phosphate, nitrate, kryptonite, diatoms, red tide, or fleas. I have never reported in all these years an episode of these things although I have bought many fish with these malady's. Maybe not fleas or nuclear fallout but then again, I can't remember.
This week I bought a copperband butterfly from a store that had about 20 of them and it was less then $10.00. They were that price because they all had a pretty advanced case of ich. Ich means nothing to me as I feel all fish, or almost all fish have it. I did not yet put this copperband in my reef, not that I am worried about my fish getting it, but because this fish was in a store with copper and I can tell it had ich. Copperbands are never that cheap and that store lost a lot of fish from that shipment so they wanted to sell them before they died. If I put him in my reef, he would be very uncomfortable and stressed as the paracites would probably have covered his gills and killed him in a few days. That fish is now fine and eating all the worms I give him. In a few days he will join my other copperband and either kill each other of live in piece but whatever happens, I saved this fish and got a great buy.
I don't have a hospital tank or quarantine tank so I had to dig one out. I am also using my copper from a bottle that is at least 25 years old and I am not even sure the stuff is still good.
I certainly don't want or condone buying fish with ich. Or putting in fish without quarantine. (I am very lucky like that) But it would have died in the store and I hate to see such a beautiful animal just waste away like that. If I had the room I would have bought all of them.
A disease like ich can easily be cured with copper, even a copperband butterfly that people say is sensitive to copper. If I had my favorite medicine "quinicrine Hydrocloride" I would have mixed that with the copper and the fish would be cleared of ich in a day.
I also wanted to run my diatom filter on this tank continousely but out of my 3 diatoms I can barely get one working. I put the parts together from all 3 and got one to barely work and I am testing it now. If you can run a diatom on a tank with ich, the paracite will be removed as it leaves the fish, but as I said, diatom problems. When I get time I will re design a new diatom filter but for now, I will have to do this the old fashioned way.

IMG_2460_zps4023ebc3.jpg

Back