Finally Getting My Tank!

Neoz

Well everything is all worked out and looks like I'll be picking up my complete setup Friday morning. I can't wait! Went with a RR 180 Gallon Perfecto. Complete with everything. But he only has about 30 to 50 lbs of dead or dying rock he said. So I'll have to work on that. But hey ...... AT LEAST ITS A START! :D

Thanks guys.. I'll post pictures with the progress but it will be slow going. I have to first recover some finances for future purchases..

The main one I need right now is a RO/DI unit. Need to start getting water around now. I do believe Cully told me that already ;). So could any of you please point me in the direction of a good one. Have no clue what I need. I prefer one with the lowest amount of waste water. ;) If there is such an animal. Don't care if its new or used as long as its efficient. Thanks..

Need the model number of the unit.. :)

My understanding of RO efficiency is the high input pressure and warmer the inlet water temperature the higher the efficiency, more so then the brand.

Congratulations on the purchase! :D

Spectrapure and The Filterguys both have low wastewater RO/DI units, They seem to be coming down in price from when I last looked.
I love my RO/DI from the filterguys. I have the Ocean reef +1
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

Live rock,
I went with overpriced live rock from a LFS before I knew any better, supplemented that with the Caribsea 50lbs for $50.00. Really wish I had gone eco-rox and a little bit of premium live rock to seed it. The ecorox is lighter and more pourous. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Eco-RoX-(-Fiji-Rock-)/c7/index.html

What does complete include....... Cmon we need DETAILS! :lol:

If you decide to go with something like CaribSea dry rock and want to pick your own The City Zoo in Horseheads has open boxes that you can pick out what you want and pay $2.00/lb. It is more than $1.00/lb when buying bulk but you only pick peices you like. I got 80lbs bulk and used only 60lbs anyway. So paying extra to pick what you want isn't to bad. They may even drop the price a little if you picking out 50lbs or so.

If you do come over this way I have LR I can let go cheap.

Dave

Sounds good to me on the rock. Any help I can get I'll take. I'll just swap out my rock as I build up live rock. Because eventually thats all I want in my tank.

Thanks for the info on the RO/DI units guys. I'll get one ordered up so I can get producing water. After wll thats a big tank.. ;) Daveverdo now that was a good read.. Makes you wonder..

SPN this is the tank. Got it from here... Got a good deal I think... He cut me a heck of deal ;) . The tank was exactly what I was looking for. 2ft x 2ft x 6ft he said. I didn't want a tall tank. Heres the link...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1601554

Even came with the side stand. He had a few extras he thru in and a hell of nice guy in talking with him on the phone. In fact i haven't met a bad person yet on this forum. Everybody is more then willing to help out noobs like me.. :D And trust me we really appreciate it!

I think the importance of RO/DI water has a lot to do with the quality of your tap water. When I lived in town and was on city water, I could get away with treated tap water. Since I moved and am on well water, there was far too much crap in my water, even after treating it, so RO/DI was a much bigger deal.

That said, I've had a Kent Maxxima Hi-S and a 5 stage RO/DI from the Filter Guys. Both were great filters, but the Kent was about twice the price. Can't beat the filter guys service either - I'd go with them again in a heartbeat.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14819998#post14819998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Neoz
Sounds good to me on the rock. Any help I can get I'll take. I'll just swap out my rock as I build up live rock. Because eventually thats all I want in my tank.

Your Dead Rock/Dry rock/eco-rox will become live if placed in the tank with live rock to seed it. it just takes a little more time and patience. No need to swap it out unless you are heavily stocking right away and can not wait.

Good luck Friday morning!

Wish I were ready but realistic I'm about a month away. Have to wait for my RO/DI unit to get here and lay that in. Have a lot of plumbling to lay in along with a utility sink. Oh not mention finish my fish room which isn't done :D

There will be more deals to be had............ At least I hope so.. ;)

I posted this over in Dave VG's LR for sale thread but I figured I would add it here in case you didn't look back over there.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sure wish I were ready but I'm about a month away from needing live rock.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get yourself a big rubbermaid tub, put the rock in the tub with saltwater, a heater, and a powerhead. It will last no problem. In fact, you could recure or even "cook" the rocks will you are setting all the other stuff. You may want drive down to Dave's and at least look at what he has. Even if you only take some at $2.50/lb it is better than dead base rock for $2.50/lb.

In the long run it may be the best alternative. If you wait until you are ready and then want to cure or cook you will have to wait even more.

Time for multitasking.

The RC Live Rock Cooking Thread

Dave

So I guess I need to get some salt and stuff.. :D So sorry if this has been asked but I'm running out of time... So much to do and so little time.. :D

What brand of salt are you members running? Are you buying it in 5 gallons or bigger? Were are you getting it locally?

Will I need any test kits starting off with just cycling my tank? If so which one? Don't want to ask my LFS as I'm sure they will sell me their biggest and best chemlab setup.. :p

Off to work on the fish room. Lots of more work to do to get it ready.. :)

i normally get the 160 gallon instant ocean buckets. i just recently bought a couple 200gallon boxes for $45/box your def gonna wanna grab 2 of either one once your ready to start it up!

Back