Fish vitamins

gareth.hubbarde

Hi guys, I have been reading that I should think about adding vitamins to the tank. It's an 80g fowlr setup. I was reading something like seachem vitality would be worth investing in. What's the general thinking, is it something that's popular/nessecery?
Thanks
Gh

New aquarium

300l (80g) juwel rio
40kg sand
40kg live rock
Tmc v2 skim 500 compact hob skimmer
1000lph filter pump
Filter floss
Carbon
2 x 2800 lph circulation pumps (fluval sea 3, hydor koralia 3200)

1 black sailfin blenny
1 purple firefish
1 one spot Foxface
2 percula clowns (pair)
1 kole tang
1 strawberry conch
5 nassarius snails

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

In my opinion, changing the water will replenish what you need...common sense says that you didn't add vitamins when you first set up the tank (before putting the fish in) so there was plenty already in there initially.

Now if you plan on not doing many/any water changes, then you might consider it.

In my opinion, changing the water will replenish what you need...common sense says that you didn't add vitamins when you first set up the tank (before putting the fish in) so there was plenty already in there initially.

Now if you plan on not doing many/any water changes, then you might consider it.
Thanks, planning on 10 gallons a month water change split into 5 g every 2 weeks. That should be enough?

I do the recommended 10%-20% per week. 10 gallons a month on a 80 gallon aquarium seems a bit low...but to each his own as everyone has differing opinions on what they want to do and what works for them.

IMO, good quality, and variety of food will suffice. No need for extra vitamins or additives.

Kevin

Is it worth it, do the fish look different etc? Selcon over here in UK us quite pricey as its imported.

Sometimes a fish gets cut or has viral nodules (e.g. Lymphocystis) you want to clear up. IMO; food soaking vitamins is a good first line of defence to boost the immune system. So hopefully the problem resolves itself without having to take more drastic measures.

Sometimes a fish gets cut or has viral nodules (e.g. Lymphocystis) you want to clear up. IMO; food soaking vitamins is a good first line of defence to boost the immune system. So hopefully the problem resolves itself without having to take more drastic measures.

+1 I soak all my foods and also add spirulina and astaxanthin powder to my frozen to further fortify the food

+1 to the above 2 posts!
Excellent advice
Preventative maintainence IMO
Like the flu shot and C and D for humans

+1 to the above 2 posts!
Excellent advice
Preventative maintainence IMO
Like the flu shot and C and D for humans
So in your opinion it is a good idea if a fish gets injured or add to most feeds anyway? Do you add stuff to your food? If so which product?

i used to let the food soak in selcon and/or vitality. i stopped a while back, and i can't say i've noticed any down sides.

now two things about that. vitamins are cheap, so no harm in using them (ounce of prevention etc etc). also: i've found with selcon specifically, that it can help entice picky eaters. it's oily and smelly, and tends to help attract a lot of attention towards the food.

Back