Floor Wrasse

EllieSuz

Premium Member
My tank is completely covered in DIY 1/4" netting, so when I found my female McCosker's Wrasse on the floor a few months ago, I couldn't figure out how she managed it. She was crispy, by the way. Today I heard a strange noise near the tank and found the male on the floor. He hadn't been there long and he's doing fine now. The screen cover was a little out of place and I'm sure he jumped with sufficient force to raise the cover. Now I have to figure out a way to weigh it down so he can't do this again.

yeah you can imagine the force those little buggers create as fast as they swim,talk about lightning in a bottle/tank ..

He's a full grown male Wrasse, about three inches long and much too big to fit through the holes in the screen.

Gotcha...I was asking because I was curious what size was capable of jarring the screen loose.

bigger tank = heavier top

bigger tank = heavier top

time for a larger aquarium :)

just kidding of course.

I find this story amazing. Those little buggers must be generating one helluva force to lift the screen top up!

Fish jumping always baffled me ... I mean Why do they do it?? scared? .. I dont think wild reefs have fish jumping at the surface the birds would be so fat that they wouldnt be able to fly!!

things that make you go hmmmmm...

yeah you can imagine the force those little buggers create as fast as they swim,talk about lightning in a bottle/tank ..

Yep, that's why I always cringe when someone puts them in a less than 55 gallon tank. I had one in a 38 many years ago, and immediately felt bad for him.

Fish jumping always baffled me ... I mean Why do they do it?? scared? .. I dont think wild reefs have fish jumping at the surface the birds would be so fat that they wouldnt be able to fly!!

things that make you go hmmmmm...

They jump from one tidepool to another, and quite frequently jump in open water to escape predators. Also, you have to realize that many fish aren't usually as close to the surface of the ocean when they shoot up to escape, so they wouldn't end up out of the water like they do in our tanks. Birds aren't really that good at catching fish in mid-air, they usually catch them at the surface under the water. Seagulls near a pier with human food might be an exception LOL.

Edit: Forgot to add, if you've never watched a flasher wrasse flash, you'd be amazed at how often they skim the top of the water. They love to show off. That's another reason they "jump".

Back