Flow control through GFO reactor

boobookitty

I've been using a GFO reactor to deal with a pretty bad phosphate problem. It's worked well - started at 1.5, down to very low levels - although it's taken 6 months to leach the phosphates from the rock.

The problem is that now that the phosphates are leached out, my phosphates read at 0. I'd like them low, 0.01-0.05, but if I run the GFO reactor it strips all of it out.

I have a flow meter on the input, and the flow rate jumps around quite a bit due to the nature of GFO as well as some clogging and detritus issues; one day the flow rate will be 20 gph, the next down to 12, then back up to 15. So just setting flow rate to a low level all day long is difficult.

So instead I'd like to run the GFO a few hours a day, but my understanding is that if the GFO just sits there for longer periods, it becomes a solid mass. Is that accurate? Any way around this without having it run 24x7?

GFO really should only be used if needed. Stop using it and monitor your levels. If they start to rise again, use it sparingly.

I have a fuge; that and vodka dosing keep nitrates down to around 1, but I was left with higher phosphates (0.75) after it had run its course and added the GFO. Took around 6 months for the leaching to work, and now phosphates are fairly low. With GFO running 24x7, too low.

It's been 3 days since I turned off the GFO and my phosphates are at around 0.03. I test every day; if they start going up again I'll try reducing the amount of GFO and see if I can keep it hovering around 0.03.

Back