for those who claim to truly care... ;-p

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had a car I would get rid of it to get a truck. Anyone who knows anything knows nothing beats an American made truck ;)

Something tells me not to post here that I may come across wrong. I have one car thats gets 38 miles a gallon and is very clean.
And one that burns 110 with lead and has 3 Carbs
Keep in mind that it is just for fun, as I am into the car hobby.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/340six Motor/rockers1.jpg

Man that's a sweet motor! takes some skill to put something like that together and keep it tuned. How do you keep those Holleys in synch? Is that a 389 tripower? Either way it probably gets better mileage than Al Gores private jet.

If the rest of the world would just adopt the same water and air pollution standards the U.S. has to play by it would be a good start in curbing at least a few environmental problems.

Do you seriously think that our standards are that high. We are the major air polluters as well as ground water pollution from chemical runoff. Our landfills are out of control and the waste fron all of our use of plastics and other materials that will not degrade for hundreds of years. I'm laughing.
BTW, not a conservationist at all. A responsible hobbyist, and I do care about our environment, but like most people I enjoy the creature comforts that we have, and hope that we adapt to a better, cleaner, economically balanced way to get better. Having to pay twice the price for a clean car vs. buying a standard auto at a descent price. Buying the standard.

This is a joke right? lol

Not in a heartbeat! Bought myself a brand new Jeep Wrangler two weeks ago...take about bad mileage...sure can climb mountains well though :)

My answer...no way would I give up my car. In fact I'd give up my tank first lol. Having a tank causes more reef destruction than owning a car. Next time your LFS gets it's shipment of live fish/corals in go see just how many arrive dead. Or get held up at airports and the entire batch dies.

:)

Do you seriously think that our standards are that high. We are the major air polluters as well as ground water pollution from chemical runoff. Our landfills are out of control and the waste fron all of our use of plastics and other materials that will not degrade for hundreds of years. I'm laughing.
BTW, not a conservationist at all. A responsible hobbyist, and I do care about our environment, but like most people I enjoy the creature comforts that we have, and hope that we adapt to a better, cleaner, economically balanced way to get better. Having to pay twice the price for a clean car vs. buying a standard auto at a descent price. Buying the standard.

1) Define major polluter. What criteria did you use to define "major".
2) Where is there a current major source of unchecked chemical run off that is contaminating ground water?
3) What exactly is the definition of a runaway land fill?
4)The recycling program in the U.S. is reusing a larger volume of plastic, paper and even now construction debris each year.

Is the job finished? No, but to laugh at the progress that has been made here and in Europe for that matter in the past 30 years or so is somewhat Naive.

You seem to getting your environmental information from the 1970s.

1) Is the job finished? No, but to laugh at the progress that has been made here and in Europe for that matter in the past 30 years or so is somewhat Naive.

You seem to getting your environmental information from the 1970s.

I agree that a lot of excellent progress has been made in the past few decades, but there's still a major problem when we look at the big picture because servicing the United States remains a dirty job. We may have exported many of our nastiest manufacturing processes to the other side of the planet where low wages and low environmental standards make it all possible, but our insatiable demand for those products still has a major impact on the salty ball of dirt that we all share.

I agree that a lot of excellent progress has been made in the past few decades, but there's still a major problem when we look at the big picture because servicing the United States remains a dirty job. We may have exported many of our nastiest manufacturing processes to the other side of the planet where low wages and low environmental standards make it all possible, but our insatiable demand for those products still has a major impact on the salty ball of dirt that we all share.

No doubt what you say is correct, but it leads back to what I said. We have adopted some tough standards here that cleaned up alot of problems. Those rules may have played a factor in who stayed and who left. I feel its time the rest of the world plays by the same rules we do. I do realize it may come at a price, however it may level the playing field a bit more for the U.S. I need to stop there since the rest of the problem is more of a political one then an environmental one.

Attended a seminar yesterday on sustainable energy. Learned that
a plastic bag is more sustainable than paper as it can be recycled indefinitely. Paper only twice. It just depends where the plastic ends up.

So paper or plastic? I'll take plastic.

I think we're all missing the big picture. The earth will be just fine, once we're gone. It may take a few thousand years, maybe a few hundred thousand, but all traces of human life, including all the damage we're doing, will be erased. Mother nature will take over again, and maybe, just maybe a new race will evolve to damage the planet and burn itself out, and so on and so on....

Something tells me not to post here that I may come across wrong. I have one car thats gets 38 miles a gallon and is very clean.
And one that burns 110 with lead and has 3 Carbs
Keep in mind that it is just for fun, as I am into the car hobby.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/340six Motor/rockers1.jpg

Naa. Fun cars are FUN cars! It's the cars that are driven every day, mile after mile, that add up to large enough numbers to be a problem.

(Says me, a former owner of a '56 TBird. Woot! Rumble rumble rumble rumble... I miss that car.)

Attended a seminar yesterday on sustainable energy. Learned that
a plastic bag is more sustainable than paper as it can be recycled indefinitely. Paper only twice. It just depends where the plastic ends up.

So paper or plastic? I'll take plastic.

This made me think of this (a little comic relief):

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rld0KDcan_w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This made me think of this (a little comic relief):

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rld0KDcan_w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL... Totally awesome, around .30 into it he hits it on the head! George Carlin is my favorite. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back