FS or trade: Beautiful purple and green tank grown branching hammer. Lots of it!

slief

RC Sponsor
Premium Member
I have fragged my entire colony of branching hammer. I've been growing this for a few years. It started out as a pinky sized frag that fell into my rock and sprouted eventually growing into a colony that was well over 24" in diameter with close to 200 heads. This is one of the healthiest and fastest growing hammers I have ever seen. I have pieces that range in size from a couple heads to 20+ heads.

I am asking $10 per head for smaller chunks but will do much better for larger colonies. I have colonies with upwards of 30 heads and all have new heads sprouting off them.

PM me if you are interested.

These pictures were taken just after putting them into my frag tank so they weren't fully opened up at the time. These have very long stems and will fit nicely into cracks in the rocks.
IMG_3260_zpsaovhgntz.jpg

IMG_3262_zpswhjyd4qj.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another picture I just took of them. They are opening up now that they aren't ticked off anymore from being moved. Depending on how much you want or how big of a colony you want, I will work a bit with you on the price. As I said, SPS trades are welcome too depending on what you have to offer.
This is about 30" wide by 10" deep worth of hammer coral frags.. As I said, I have quite a bit as this colony was huge and thriving. They were grown under Kessils and are now under a GHL Mitra LX7 in my frag tank. They will thrive under virtually any decent lighting.

IMG_3277_zpsnuu5doye.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a hammer frag for the last 9 months in my nuvo under my kessil but it hasn't grown at all

What is your location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Simi Valley

I've had a hammer frag for the last 9 months in my nuvo under my kessil but it hasn't grown at all

Something must have been off with your water parameters or your settings because this colony grew like a weed under my Kessil's with no supplemental lighting. Then again, not all hammers do well in our tanks depending on their origin. This colony started under Reeftech LED's and grew fine under them too. They are now under GHL Mitras in my frag tank and doing great.

thank you for the input. I've only recently found a grove to maintain my parameters at ideal conditions

thank you for the input. I've only recently found a grove to maintain my parameters at ideal conditions

Good to hear!

Just a heads up for those interested, some is gone but I've still got a bunch left. PM me if you are interested.

I still have a bunch of the hammer corals available. PM me if you're interested.

I've sold several good sized pieces but still have a bunch of hammer left ranging in size from just a few heads to upwards of 20 heads.

Here are some pictures I took a couple days ago. These were taken under a GHL Mitras LX7206 fixture. These corals were grown under LED's and will do very well under any decent light whether LED, T5 or halide. PM me if you are interested.
IMG_3458_zpsneg6gvuy.jpg

IMG_3457_zpsqemtjnvf.jpg

IMG_3456_zps9is0i2om.jpg

IMG_3476_zpsm7flnbw2.jpg

IMG_3477_zpscjizvp5g.jpg

Pics of mother please. Curious how big the colony is that gave birth to all those frags

It was well over 2' across and somewhere beetweek 150 and 200 heads. This shot shows the 4' width of the 8'x4' tank. This picture was taken several months ago.
IMG_2441_zpso5htwekd.jpg

You can see it at the very beginning of this video on the right, the 1:35 mark, at about 3:50 into it as well as some other times.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PZLXB7YPBig?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what steroids are you feeding your tank? everything looks so dang huge!! That anemone is off the hook.

what steroids are you feeding your tank? everything looks so dang huge!! That anemone is off the hook.

LOL.. I don't even feed my corals. They get the leftovers from the fish food. I do feed the fish well though. I suppose I can attribute my tanks health to longevity and consistency. Pretty much all the large colonies and corals have been grown in there from small pieces. This hammer started out as a tiny frag the size of my pinky nail from a dead colony a few years back. I found it growing off the side of a hammer skeleton and when I popped it off, it fell into the crack in that top rock on the peninsula out of reach. It sprouted up months later and grew from there. I never touched it. The tank has been up for about 19 years other than a 24 hour tear down about 27 years ago for a rescape. It has gone through changes over the years in terms of focus from a reef to a FOWLR back to reef several years ago. Heck, I don't dose anything either. I use cheap Instant Ocean non reef salt and run a calcium reactor. I do 5 gallons a day worth of automated water changes, add some iodine from time to time but that's it other than good lights and lots of flow.

Nice mixed reef!

Thanks! That video is a few months old. The SPS that was in there has grown a lot and there is more SPS now that the hammer colony has been moved to the frag tank. Albeit, in pieces.. :thumbsup:

Back