Getting back in after 10 years, Question about cycling??!!

Burning_Beard

After a 10 year window of saying I would never do this again, here I am. So I now have the time and a little more money to try and do this a lot better. I am currently setting up a 90 gallon display tank with a sump. The tank is not ready for water yet but I wanted to start cycling the dry rock in a brute can. Was thinking of using Dr. Tim's to cycle the rock. I guess the first question is is this something I can do then add rock to the tank once water and sand is in? If I can do this do I need to add ammonia to keep feeding the bacteria due to there being no livestock in with the cycling rock?

Attachments

• photo412155.jpg
    photo412155.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 1
Dr Tims works well. After it’s cycled you could add some flake food occasionally. It’d help to put a piece of rock in there from an established tank for some biodiversity.

I would just put the rock in the tank . Maybe add a few snails once all the pumps, cords, lights are OK. There will always be death in the aquarium, whether your tank is seasoned or brand new. Cut out the middle man so to say. (don't work too hard) GL.

themagicman The tanks not quite ready yet still have to do the plumbing, my sump is on the back side of the wall. But I wanted to get the rock at least started. I am all for not working to hard but my approach with this set up is I don't mind working a little harder and waiting a little longer to have success. My set up 10 years ago was a different story and I do not want a repeat. I was just curious if Dr Tims would be a good approach to get things started and how not to kill off the bacteria once it starts.

Dr Tims works well. After it’s cycled you could add some flake food occasionally. It’d help to put a piece of rock in there from an established tank for some biodiversity.

Do you think its feasible to get this started outside the tank and keep it viable until I am ready to run the tank? The tank is going to have more water volume with the sump then the tub in which I would cure the rock, if I am not mistaken the rock should be good to go in the tank and keep the bacteria that was established after the transfer?

Back