GFO Media reactors?

I am trying to decide which one:

TLF 150 reactor not sure what pump

Avast Marine MR-10 Sicce pump 1.5 I guess this one a lot though wonder if it's worth it

Spectrapure Media Reactor with Sicce pump 1.5

Any other suggestions?

The TLF is basically junk and will break eventually. It will also plug up easier because of the smaller cylinder diameter.

Avast is very nice and you can save by buying the kit. Anyone is capable of putting it together as there is a step by step video.............I have an MR5. I run it off a split from my return pump.......best way if you can do it.

The spyglass cone reactor they have are really nice as they turn over the media the best and are more user friendly for changing the media.........worth the extra cost.

You can also make one using a Reverse Osmosis canister and save money. It is more robust than a TLF too.

Sicce 1.5 should work fine if you want to go that route.

I have a TLF 150 that is approaching 30 years old. So much for them being junk? When it was on a 60 cube I used a mini jet 400. It’s now on my 120, and since the mj400 died I now use the smallest Sicce valved back

I have a TLF 150 that is approaching 30 years old. So much for them being junk? When it was on a 60 cube I used a mini jet 400. It’s now on my 120, and since the mj400 died I now use the smallest Sicce valved back

Age has nothing to with it being junk. It's an inferior product compared to the others I've mentioned. I paid $10 more for the Avast reactor and it's will last forever and has a larger diameter. The 150 clogs too often before the media is used up being such a small diameter.........I like to run GFO at a slow rate.

I've had the upper part of the old style phosban 150 crack/leak at the entry and a lid crack on the newer style. The old style has about 10 screws and is a pain to change out media. Another thing I hate about the old one was that it was tinted a dark color and it made it hard to see the media...........you get what you pay for. It was an ok product when it was $25-30.

Since they upped the price to over 50 I consider it junk.

You can get one made from an RO cannister that will last a lifetime for less money and this is much more robust than a 150.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-single.html

Last edited:
Count me in as another person who runs two TLF 150s and have been doing so for about 10 years. One of them eventually started leaking due to a drop that lead to a chip on the top threading. It was replaced. Other than that they have worked perfectly and have not clogged.

Back