Glueing corals/frags to live rock

ThisCityIsDead

I'm frustrated that my frags and corals keep getting knocked down by my hermits and snails. I am thinking of gluing them to my rock work.

I found this tutorial online.

"Super glue gel, I prefer Loctite brand to any others, but it must be the gel kind and have Cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient.
AquaMend putty, or any other kind of underwater stick putty. Sold at Home Depot for around $3.00 a tube.
Paper towels
Your coral frag!"

Are those materials reef/fish safe? I mean, I'm assuming they are since people on that thread liked this... I'm just curious because the supplies come from Home Depot/home department store.

Thanks in advance!

just get some gel superglue (locktite really does seem to work best) and use some of the putty made for aquariums (usually sold as a putty that can stick rocks together). I will say the putty he recommends works well and is reef safe as he has been using it for quite some time.

Cyano acrylate glues (super or crazy glues) are reef safe. Gel is strongly preferred because it is less runny. The glue takes several minutes to harden, even under water.

AquaMend and its replacement Water Weld are reef safe epoxies. For attaching small frags to plugs, super glue gel is usually sufficient. For attaching larger frags or colonies to rocks, or for stabilizing rocks, epoxy is usually better used with super glue gel. Apply super glue gel to the bottom of the frag then push it into the epoxy some. Then put some super glue gel on the bottom of the epoxy and push it onto the rock. Give it 10-15 minutes to cure and you're good.

Back