Goby Lifespan Survey

Species: (ptereleotris zebra)

i don't know if that was a goby you were looking for but i hope it helps

RIP - The goby was eaten by a newly added carpet anemone. age in tank - 8.5 yrs.

Yellow Watchman - Cryptocentrus cinctus

Purchased - Aug, 1999
Believed deceased for 3 years and then found in sump I moved.
It lived in complete darkness in a basement for years and somehow survived. That was in 2005.
Still alive today -

Species:Valencienna Puellaris
Years in captivity:1.5 and growing strong
also
Nemateleotris decora
3.3years old and still growing

I have a blue dotted watchman gobie that i have had for a lil over 4 yrs. I have moved my tank twice and upgraded once and he is a very fat and happy gobie.

usa
Valencienna puellaris
3+ years, still alive and doing well, i estimate he's probably over 5 years old judging by his size when I got him..

USA
Gobiodon histrio
I've had one for about 4 years and it's still alive and doing just fine, another that I bought at the same time I had for 2 years until it jumped out.

USA - I've had a pair of Orange-spotted Shrimp gobies (Amblyeleotris guttata) for a little over a year and a half and all is well.

Berkeley CA
Gobiodon okinawae
I've been maintaining a 72 bowfront for over 3yrs with 1 in it. And it was there before I started caring for the tank.

Country US.

pair of yellow watchman gobies, Cryptocentrus cinctus, have had since late 03, they are each about 3 1/2", maybe larger.

I have a little yellow watchman gobie which has lived in a 10 gallon tank along with a red & white striped pistol shrimp for about a year. They were so much fun to watch those two together and their symbiotic relationship.

We recently upgraded from a 55 gallon to a 125 gallon tank and put the pistol shrimp inside it's rock in the water and released the little yellow watchman gobie into the water.

Initially, the gobie went to the bottom and perched on a rock. Later that day I observed it under the rock with the pistol shrimp. Shortly thereafter, the little gobie began to stay at the very top of the tank and made no effort to go further down into the water or near the rock with the pistol shrimp despite the loud clicking noise it was making.

Twice now the little gobie has gotten caught in the overflow box and had to be "fished out" and put back in the water. The second time it was in the overflow box I put it in the 30 gallon sump.

This is a peaceful reef tank with lots of soft corals and the fish are as follows;
4 Anthias
3 scooter blennies
1 mandarin
1 bi-color blenny
1 kole eye tang
3 pajama cardinal fish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 false percula
1 marine clown and her BTA
1 yellow tail bannana wrasse
2 purple firefish
1 Sunrise Pseudochromis (Blue Flavivertex)
1 small serpent seastar
blood red, peppermint and skunk shrimp

I am baffled as to why this pretty little yellow yellow watchman gobie is not taking advantage of all the rock, the pistol shrimp and the sandbed.

Can anyone help me understand why this is happening?

Yellow watchman goby 2 years 3 months. The last month it hid in the rockwork and one day it just wasn't around. This wasn't an immature fish when I got it. BTW, it turned green after the first year.

Is this thread still alive? If so...

USA
Gobiodon okinawae
Will have had the fish for 5 years in Jan 2009. He is still alive but getting thin these days.

I posted on this thread a year ago so here is my update:

Gobiodon histrio 6 years +
Purchased January 2003 as an adult
Still alive

Back