Goby Lifespan Survey

Okey Dokey:
Here ya go, Tank is 100g and has been running since Apr. 05.

2 x Gobiodon Okinawae- 28 months (spawning since Acro's introduced about 15 months ago). 1 added 7 months ago and 2 more just 2 months ago. The mating female chases all three of the other Okinawae's around but seems to tolerate 1 more than the other two.
1 x Gobiodon Acicularis about 6 months.
1 x Gobiodon quinquestrigatus
1 x Gobiodon rivulatus/histrio ( not sure) 1 year.
1 x " " (in a 55 reef) 2+ years.
4 x Paragobiodon lacunicolus (2 spawning regularly now) 18 months for the pair and about 7-9 months so far for the other two.
1 x Preolepis nocturnus for 2 years. Had paired him up with a smaller "female" about 10 months ago and they were stuck to each other like glue from the start. Then 2 months after introduction the smaller fish appeared to have and Orange "egg sack" in "her" belly. She ate veraciously for 2 weeks and then just dissappeared. "He" seems to search for her now as he never really patrolled the entire tank as he does now.
I'm using he and she here based on some very general evidence and info.

HOPE this HELPS,
Mike.

Amblygobius phalaena - Banded Sleeper Goby or Dragon Goby.
Purchased from LiveAquaria at about 3" in Feb. 2004. He vanished in my tank in August 2007. I did not notice any signs of stress or poor health. I just noticed one day that I hadn't seen him in a couple of days.
USA
He lived in a 75G and a 210G tank. I wonder if the size of the tank matters in lifespan.

Species: Cryptocentrus cinctus

Appears to have died from natural causes.

I had a pair of green striped banded gobies for 1 year, it's mate now missing at 1.5. Green striped are one of my favorites as they have great personalities and are extremely fun to watch. Other gobies include citron, black, and a pair of masked gobies. I have had the masked gobies for about 1 year and they are great and swim in the water column.

Cryptocentrus leptocephalus (pink spotted watchman goby) --- 12months, but was an adult when I bought it. It is still alive and eating well.

Valenciennia gutatta (Sixspot sleeper goby)
Goby's age: Estimated at 2-2.5 years old

This goby grew from 2" to nearly 5" in the ~year and a half I had him. He was very healthy from what I could tell, and very well fed with a variety of fresh seafood as well as flakes and pellets. His belly was always rounded, and he was one of the fattest fish in the tank - I know many of these fish starve in captivity, this one absolutely didn't! He appeared to die of natural causes overnight - when I found him in the morning there were no blemishes, injuries, parasites or other indications of cause of death.

Cryptocentrus leptocephalus(pink spotted shrimp goby)
Gobys age: have had for 2 years now, but was 4 inches when purchased closer to 5 inches now
In 180 mixed reef

also have the same fish in a 72 gallon tank about 3.5 inches.
Gobys age: have had for 6 months now

1 stonogobiops nematodes: 1 year 6 months, and 2 others at 1 year 1 month, all sharing burrow. Usually out and about.
1 yellow watchman, with tiger shrimp, 2 years. Large for kind, high color. Dominates tank.

Valenciennea Puellaris
USA
On display in 120gal reef
Introduced 14months ago at about 4 inches in size. It is still thriving and has grown (6 inches now) ;appears healthy.

141658Goby.JPG

Scientific name: Fusigobius inframaculatus
Name: Blotched Sand Goby
USA
logevity: monday will be exactly 1 yr in my tank (1/7/07)
Alive and well.

Yellow Watchman - Cryptocentrus cinctus

Purchased - Aug, 1999
Believed deceased for 3 years and then found in sump I moved.
It lived in complete darkness in a basement for years and somehow survived. That was in 2005.
Still alive today -

US
Elacatinus multifasciatum (green banded goby)
1 year 2 months. Purchased as an adult and still looks very healthy at the time of this writing.

Eviota pellucida (Gold Neon Eviota)
Just over 1 year. Purchased mailorder as sub adult. Very healthy and active (and tiny). One of my favorite fish. Hope it lives longer than is expected (1.5 years, I think).

Amblyeleotris wheeleri (wheeler's watchman)
1.5 years. Purchased sub adult. Still smaller than others I've seen, but very healthy and active.

Back