Goby Lifespan Survey

yellow watchman goby, lasted 6 days in my tank.

Cause of death unknown. The corpse had gills flared but no obvious sign of disease. No bullying. Tank parameters good. I suspect it could have been related to stress of the acclimation procedure, which lasted 90 minutes, but the parameters (especially salinity) were very different between store water and tank water.

Yellow Watchman Goby
(Cryptocentrus cinctus)
Currently, 2 years old. Not full grown yet. (2.5 inches or so).
Was a BABY when I got him.

Species: Cryptocentrus cinctus (yellow watchman)
Age: Almost exactly 4 years in my tank (including 2 weeks in an overflow)

species: priolepsis nocturna
size: about an inch and a half

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10317882#post10317882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sammyfish
Name: Valenciennea strigata

This fish appeared to do very well for about 2 yrs, eating flake and mysis. Then it began to eat less and to show signs of malnurishment, including a sunken belly. It eventually died.

I have the same goby. Just got him about 1 -1/2 months ago. I have a pair. So far so good. They sift all day long. They eat mysis and seem quite happy.

Re: Goby Lifespan Survey

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10284875#post10284875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCDelbeek

Country you live, Genus, species, years in captivity, and an
indication if the fish is still alive and on display. Please send your
replies to this sticky thread by the end of July.

If anyone has access to international forums in Europe, Asia or elsewhere, can you please pass along this request?

Many thanks in advance!

J. Charles Delbeek

I am located in the USA
In my tank I have:
(1) Cryptocentrus cinctus
It is still alive and I have had in in my tank for 4 years.

I'm not sure if this matters for your research, but it has been paired up with a pistol shrimp for the last 5 months.

I know it is not relevant to your data but I could not resist. Have had a yellow watchman for the last month and found him on the floor this morning! I have egg crate covered in screen material over the tank with a 2"X2" opening for feeding and he still managed to get out. I did not think they did this or swam that high in a tank.

Two months, I know that is not much, I am figuring on 10 years, oh and yes, I know they are brackish, I just don't tell them

Gobieggs007.jpg

Thanks everyone, I have all the data I need now so do not require any more observations. This thread can be closed, but if folks want to keep it going that's fine too.

Cheers!
Charles

Charles, these people are just posting for the heck of it and we know it has nothing to do with your observations.
Most of us will post about anything.
But thanks for starting the thread anyway.
Have a great day.
Paul

Valencienna strigata

Valencienna strigata

Hello,

My mated pair lasted for 13 months in my 180 gallon reef, with 6+ inches of fine sand for sifting. They were a very happy pair that spawned at least 20 times for me beginning only a month into their stay in my aquarium. I fed them liberally with frozen small mysis enriched only occasionally with vitamins. I tried unsuccessfully to rear the pelagic larvae after they hatched seven times, using proven methods for other demersal spawners. I believe (as well as other marine ornamental aquaculturists more experienced than I) that first foods were the stumbling block. The female died mysteriously one night in the cave, not due to being trapped or because of anoxia (plenty of open holes). She was removed after not showing until the next evening, no signs of disease or stress externally. The male continued normal behaviors for two more weeks and died mysteriously in mid-afternoon one day out in the open, wedged in a crack between two live rocks, not a blemish. I wonder if he was spooked by another fish and hit his head too hard, although there was no evidence of this. I have read primary literature based on field observations in Moorea, French Polynesia. This study put lifespan at 1 year, following individuals for the year using visual observation. I believe that the year long lifespan may be correct, given my experience and the study I mentioned. The gobies were 11 cm when purchased and grew to around 14 cm before death.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13963752#post13963752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jacob D
Is this thread still alive? If so...

USA
Gobiodon okinawae
Will have had the fish for 5 years in Jan 2009. He is still alive but getting thin these days.

Update - the little guy is still alive and well I suppose. That would make him just shy of 5 1/2 years that we have owned him. He eats nothing but frozen squid and has been in a 12g nano reef the entire time.

Paul, nice little bumble bee goby. Brackish huh? Leave it to you I guess... ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11365384#post11365384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cl2ysta1
Cryptocentrus leptocephalus(pink spotted shrimp goby)
Gobys age: have had for 2 years now, but was 4 inches when purchased closer to 5 inches now
In 180 mixed reef

also have the same fish in a 72 gallon tank about 3.5 inches.
Gobys age: have had for 6 months now

both are still alive and well at this time

Elacatinus multifasciatum
Green Banded Goby
3 years definite (possibly 4 years)
Still alive.

He's been moved twice while I had him (from my 135g tank to my 240g tank) then we moved him into another tank of my friend's then he was moved again to my friend's hatchery. He's mated with a female now and spawning regularly. We believe that he's four years old but I can definitely say that he's at least 3 years old. He was moved to my friend's hatchery two years ago, almost to the day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14067348#post14067348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Delsfishes
Has anyone had this fish for more then a year? Its a cold water goby and read that the life span its not very long so far I've had mine for 3 months.

I have three Catalina Gobies in my tank but they haven't been there long. I will tell you that if you keep them at normal tank temps they will NOT last long. My tank is averaging 70 degrees these days. I am hoping they live a long time under their current conditions but we'll see.

I have a neon goby that is about 1.5 years old and going strong. He went down the overflow somehow and I spent two hours fishing him out of the back of the RSM (not an easy task). He was completely covered in detritus and looked like crud but when he was back in the main tank and I fed them some brine shrimp he ate like he'd been starved for weeks.

Over the years I have had: numerous green banded gobies (killed by my only ich outbreak), catalina gobies (killed in the same ich outbreak), neons, gold neons, yellow watchmen, high fin red banded gobies, yasa hashe gobies, yellow clowns, green clowns, red head gobies, and I'm sure a bunch of others.

I currently have:
1x green banded goby - 3 weeks - alive
3x catalina gobies - 6 weeks - alive
1x yasa hashe with randalls - 8 months - alive
1x neon goby - ~1.5-2 years - alive

Yellow Clown Gobies

Yellow Clown Gobies

i have 2 yellow clown gobies almost a 1 1/2 years old started spaning after about 6-8 months

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13963752#post13963752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jacob D
Is this thread still alive? If so...

USA
Gobiodon okinawae
Will have had the fish for 5 years in Jan 2009. He is still alive but getting thin these days.

Our clown yellow goby finally passed away, so 5 years and 7 months we owned him, figure he might have been 6 years old. He had two tank mates over his life with us (one of which is still alive), ate his fill of squid, and got sucked up the siphon tube once while my wife was doing a water change :)

RIP lil buddy

Jacob, I loved that clown gobi and he lived longer than mine.
That was actually your wife's gobi so I guess she is a better aquarist than the two of us :lol:

Hi Paul, yes you're right about that... but she let me do all the water changes on her tank. She must be smarter than me too!

Hope you guys are keeping cool out in NY... hot over here in CA!

Back