Going on business trip - what to do with my tank?

Taninflorida

I am going away for 8 days, I am worried about my 6 gallon nano.

- One tiny clownfish
- One blood shrimp

Anemone and corals.

If I can have a friend come by at say the 4 day mark, and drop in a cube of mysis?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Feeding is not the issue, it is evap that should be your biggest concern. Do you have an auto top off on this tank? If not, you should have your buddy come over every 2 days to pour some freshwater into your system.

I have a 150 and we travel regularly. I have a buddy that comes over every other day to feed the tank and ensure that the ATO is working correctly. We have been very fortunate. Do you have someone to check on the tank at least every other day? Where are you located?

@Aquatic Reef Creations: thanks! I can have someone come every 2-3 days.

I live in Pompano Beach FL.

All, thank you for your advice!

I travel for work. I have a camera on my tank so when I am gone I can check on things. I only have someone come check on it if I am gone for more than a week. I have a ATO and Eheim autofeeder. Some of the best things you can buy!

I agree with everyone. The food doesn't matter at all. I've had a true percula clown for over 14 years and it has gone months without being fed. If it's just 6 days, topoff water is all that really matters and I can't imagine it's too much water you'd need. Like Reeferz412 said, if you can have someone stop by every other day for topoff, that's fine. Depending on your setup, maybe they only need to stop by once on the third day. If not you can do what Anthony210 said and use an aqualifter. Before I ever had an ATO (10+ years ago), I used airline tubing and a 5-gallon bucket. It pretty much was the opposite of how I used to acclimate fish and corals before going into my tank (water from my tank would slowly drip through airline tubing to a 5 gallon bucket that I'd have the fish in corals in). I just siphoned water from the bucket to my sump and tied a knot in the airline tubing to regulate the time and amount of water dripping into the sump. I had it at about 1 droplet of water every 3 seconds but that was on a 55g that had close to one gallon per day of evaporation. The only problem with that method is that your tank is only 6 gallons and probably needs about 1 water droplet a minute (it all depends on the evaporation rate of your tank) and I'm not too certain that you will be able to get only one drop a minute with a knot.

I will tell you what not to do the day before you travel. do not do any water changes, do not change any filters, do not change the bulbs or fix the timers, do not install any new devices, do not do anything that could possibly cause an accident when you are not around, cause it never fails, when you are out is when things break

I will tell you what not to do the day before you travel. do not do any water changes, do not change any filters, do not change the bulbs or fix the timers, do not install any new devices, do not do anything that could possibly cause an accident when you are not around, cause it never fails, when you are out is when things break

Ain't that the truth!

Back