Good fish for rimless tank

DrewCam

I've had a couple spot tail bennies jump. I've had a couple yellow watchman gobies jump. I love personality fish. I also love how blennies munch on algae. What alternatives are there for me? I'm looking forward to seeing some stock lists from some rimless tank-people.

I love the look of a rimless tank. If it's a must, how do people even have rimless tanks? What does a rimless tank cover look like?

The screen cover can fit into the top rim and rest on a few "˜tabs' to hold it in place.

Good fish for rimless tank

Rimless here
Current stock
Pbt
Yellow tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Coral beauty
Pj and bangai Cardinals
Royal Gramma
Two clowns
Chromis

Never had a jumper

Got a red Sea reefer and wife will not allow lid or screen due to aesthetics.

I just stay away from wrasses gobies blennies and dartfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see, Red Sea Reefer Max rimless:

Blue Tang (Hepatus)
Philippine Yellow Tang (maybe A. pyroferus)
Purple Tang
4 Orange Lyretail Anthias
2 Maroon Clowns
Flameback Pygmy Angel
Royal Gramma
Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel
Bristletail/Mottled Filefish
Yellow Watchman Goby
2 Banggai Cardinals

No cover. No jumpers from this tank. Several of these fish are transfers from a smaller 24" rimless cube. In that tank, I had two jumpers, an ocellaris clown and the above Hepatus Tang (much smaller then, and jumped when someone was in the area who scooped it back into the tank).

Kevin

Funny, as my wife insisted on a cover with the rimless tank, knowing that fishes would jump and die. She even encouraged me to use eggcrate for a while until the artfully acrylic cover was made.

I've had my wrasses bang into the screen 3-4 times a night sometimes. I've seen my anthias jump and bang into the screen.my clowns had jumped in NY old nano a few times and ended up in the back chambers. My old 120g tank had chromis jump through the small gaps in the wood canopy and end up dried behind the tank.

Medium to large mature tangs are the only thing I trust to not jump.

I'd push for the acrylic or even recessed black lid (like the red Sea diy kit). I don't trust any open tank. Make her feel bad about killing cute little fishies.

how big is that rimless...some stocking suggestions look like 125g lists.
That's a lot of tangs in what your profile says is an 80g, or maybe this is a new tank....
If not, certainly cover as there's going to be chasing, and jumping,,..and the PBT....really....good luck!

Last edited:
Rimless here
Current stock
Pbt
Yellow tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Coral beauty
Pj and bangai Cardinals
Royal Gramma
Two clowns
Chromis

Never had a jumper

Got a red Sea reefer and wife will not allow lid or screen due to aesthetics.

I just stay away from wrasses gobies blennies and dartfish

It's matter of time. Hate to say this but eventually it will happen. I have had clown fish, blue tang, copper band butterfly, anthias jump. I now have cover on all of my tanks.

So here is my stock list: yellow tang, kole tang, purple firefish, 2 green chromis, 2 lyre tail anthias, royal gramma, geometric hawk, marine betta, hoevens wrasse, springeri damsel. All are getting along well. I'd like some more- I love a tank with a LOT of fish. I'd like a bellus angel for sure and bunch of other small fish. Lets hear some suggestions. Thanks again for all the feedback!!

to OP. i went rimless for a while now and love it.. i agree any fish can jump. i've had fish jump out of 5 gal buckets when acclimating them.. but in my experience, there are fish that are less prone to. i was in your situation too and did a lot of research to minimize this risk. i've had many set ups in the last 18 years and ironically i haven't lost one fish to jumping in my rimless (5+ years), but lost fish from jumping in my covered tanks (mostly wrasses- they find a way to jump through the smallest holes). not saying that this is the norm, so take my stock list with a grain of salt, but this is what i experienced. its good you are asking around. do more searches on RC and you'll find many informative posts on this and stock lists. and i encourage you, if you want to go rimless, go for it

I have a Reefer 250, and after finding my Female clown (alive) on the floor and popping her back in, and losing a Cleaner Wrasse (assume jumped and was eaten by the dog whilst we were out) I invested in an Artfully Acrylic cover. It cost me as much to ship it to Australia as it cost to purchase, but I am very happy with it regardless. No deaths since.

Put a BRS screen top on it. They are low profile and don't detract from the rimless look at all IMO. I lost too many "non-jumping types" of fish before making this decision.

2-11-18%20Solana%20copy.jpg

Put a BRS screen top on it. They are low profile and don't detract from the rimless look at all IMO. I lost too many "non-jumping types" of fish before making this decision.

2-11-18%20Solana%20copy.jpg

I did the same on half of my SCA 150 and I love how low profile it is. I put glass cover on the other half to reduce evaporation.

Back