H3dgehog's SPS Elos Midi Diamond

Looking good!
Gonna be another month at least before I get mine running!

Will you be running a controller on this tank?

Looking good!
Gonna be another month at least before I get mine running!

Will you be running a controller on this tank?

Thanks! I'm hoping it looks better once I transfer my SPS over from the other tank.

I thought about a controller and I figured that I should wait since GHL is working to allow the Doser 2 t connect to the power bar and pH probe (I really just need a controller to control some outlets). But if I want all the niceties then maybe a controller. I was stuck between Apex or Profilux.

Any specific reason why you went with Profilux?

Any specific reason why you went with Profilux?

1. Profilux has never required you to learn any kind of programming language. Just use pull down menus, radio buttons and input your own number to do all your basic setup. This was before Apex came out with Fusion.

2. It doesn't fail. Ever. Do a google search and see if you can find any instances of Profilux and catastrophic failures. Then do that with Apex. I saw way too many instances of the Apex failing and causing tanks to crash.

3. If anything does go wrong with Profilux, most things can be fixed or upgraded at home. They send you the parts and you open it up like any home computer. Little to no downtime. The only issue I've had is the screen started to go bad.

Basically though it came down to #2. These things are built and engineered to the highest degree. I just couldn't trust thousands of dollars worth of livestock to Apex.

The downside is that support and purchasing accessories have both been a bit frustrating but they've been making strides in both areas. And now there is a USA based web store and warehouse so that side of things should improve significantly.

An early day off work means more time to take pictures! Who knew shots were much easier under metal halides than LEDs.... I'll admit I went a bit overboard :)

Those clean edges...
IMG_5368.jpg

More edges...
IMG_5376.jpg

Quiet Drain... Really it's THAT quiet.
IMG_5363.jpg

Back to basics...
IMG_5392.jpg

Full Frontal Assault
IMG_5359.jpg

Profilux Doser 2...
IMG_5382.jpg

Downstairs mess...
IMG_5383.jpg

Super installation, magnificent, the new diamond line is incredible..
if you need help, do not hesitate to contact us
François @ELOSamerica.

So.... rookie move....

I tried to adjust the length of the ribbed drain hose and cut it too short. Now the water drains into the sump above the sump's water level and is now making the entire thing splash and make a bunch of noise. Anyone know where Ic an find these ribbed hoses?

My sacrificial birds nest seems to be fine over the course of two weeks so I decided to drop in the main crew. I did notice that my birds nest one day had ZERO polyp extension. I quickly found out that when starting my vodka dosing regimen, it quickly stripped away nutrients. A dose of coral frenzy and some fuel turned that around. Notice some of the brown coloration on the SPS.... the LEDs just didn't cut it and the amount of shading led to slight browning. Hopefully the halides will turn that around.

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

And here is a quick full tank shot with the new sps slowly acclimating to the metal halides after being under LEDs for a few months. Got frustrated with photoshop so here is is with a slight tilt...

IMG_5433.jpg

Current inhabitants include sunburst anthias, yellow coris wrasse, tri-color fairy wrasse and a blue chromis. I had a diamond goby but he decided that life underwater wasn't for him and decided to go on a land trip (RIP). :(

Can't wait to drop this bad boy in the tank next weekend. Considering it's size and beauty, I felt like I needed to see how the SPS do in the new tank for another week before putting this one in.

Screen_Shot_2016_04_28_at_10_42_43_PM.png

A few questions for the more experienced reefers.

1. How do you know when you can add more bioload? My params have been great with my current set up with 1 yellow coris, 1 flasher wrasse, 1 chromis and 1 sunburst anthias with heavy feeding. Was wondering if adding a pair of clownfish would work.

2. If money was not an issue, what skimmer would you get. The space is ~7.5" x 18". BK Mini 160? It needs to be quiet (hence the BK Mini 160 mention).

3. What happened to my Coral Box Skimmer's foam production? 1) put in filter socks that I washed in washer with just water and dried in dryer and left out for a week. 2) dosed my usual alkalinity and amino acids for SPS. 3) heard some odd sharp snap type sound during the night. 4) foam production in skimmer dropped but could have been because I put my hand in the tank and dosed aminos not long ago. 5) left over night and foam production is still down. 6) took skimmer apart to wipe/wash under running water including the pump parts. 7) Put in skimmer and noticed that the bubbles in the skimmer are fairly large and foam is still not producing... Something wrong with the water causing foam to drop or something mechanical wrong with skimmer?

Finally took some time to take some pictures of my skimmer's performance so far. After a few adjustments, I finally got it to skim fairly dry. Could be drier though!

IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

It's been a while since I posted a more fulsome picture of my set up so I figured today is a good day to do it... I just fed the tank with some coral food so hope you guys don't mind all the particulates in the water~

Full Tank Shots
IMG_5555.jpg.

IMG_5573.jpg

Favorite Fish (nicest looking but the least active...)
IMG_5564.jpg

SPS
IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

Fattest BoP You'll Find...
IMG_5562.jpg

I just placed an order for two Reef Brite XHO strips to make some of the coral colors pop more and to lengthen the viewing period by ~3 hours. Also, I am proud to say that my tank will be an APEX controlled system! This upcoming week should be fairly busy and exciting!

One of the two MP10s just died on me... Having paid good money for it, I'm not too happy that it's having issues less than 6mos in operations... Not to mention the other "good one" has some dry side issues...

Gahhhh~~~

One of the two MP10s just died on me... Having paid good money for it, I'm not too happy that it's having issues less than 6mos in operations... Not to mention the other "good one" has some dry side issues...

Gahhhh~~~

Contact them. That's half the reason you paid so much money for them. They should replace them.

But it just goes to show that the "high end" stuff breaks too.

I contacted Ecotech and they were very helpful in getting me the correct replacement parts. Through this whole ordeal, I've realized that it was a good decision to keep two MP10s. If not for the added flow for my sps, having two MP10s gives me some wiggle room in case one of them goes bad, as it did...

In other news... I decided to return my Apex Gold, now Classic after the whole ordeal with Neptune trying to dump an older product without informing consumers. As someone new to aquarium controllers, the experience was enough for me to distrust their customer service. Now my tank will be controlled via Profilux. I just placed the order through their USA distribution site. Can't wait to get it in!

Back