H3dgehog's SPS Elos Midi Diamond

Amazing tank! and much drooling here from Belgium.

I took over a midi 2 months ago and i noticed ive almost replaced everything in the sump so far. sumps is out, skimmer is out, return is out and i will be getting the light out also. It's the elos elite xp but there is 1 led broken so. I'm only gonna keep some softies, lps and maby 2 or 3 sps.

would you reckon that the AI Prime would be sufficient? because ive seen some with it and i like the design and controlling idea of it.

Did you ever thought about hard plumbing it?

Since i have the older model i have to use a ball valve to use for the drain. and its driving me nuts. To tight, no water coming trough and DT water level rising, to lose, niagra water falls coming trough and "fairly steady water level"

Amazing tank! and much drooling here from Belgium.

I took over a midi 2 months ago and i noticed ive almost replaced everything in the sump so far. sumps is out, skimmer is out, return is out and i will be getting the light out also. It's the elos elite xp but there is 1 led broken so. I'm only gonna keep some softies, lps and maby 2 or 3 sps.

would you reckon that the AI Prime would be sufficient? because ive seen some with it and i like the design and controlling idea of it.

Did you ever thought about hard plumbing it?

Since i have the older model i have to use a ball valve to use for the drain. and its driving me nuts. To tight, no water coming trough and DT water level rising, to lose, niagra water falls coming trough and "fairly steady water level"

Thanks for viewing my build thread!

Having had one myself and seeing other Midi owners use the AI Prime, I'd say it is okay to use for your needs. However, my personal choice would be the radion. I haven't used one but the design seems more complimentary to the Midi than the AI Prime. The Prime looks like a alien space craft / flying saucer on top of a boxy/edge design. The radion's sleek profile and sharper corners looks better on a Midi IMO.

I think there are mods for the older Midi where you make adjustments to the actual overflow in the display tank to make it easier to fine tune the amount of water being drained. I'd do a deep search here on RC to find out.

New controller finally got here! There goes whatever free time I had this weekend...

I really love the idea of spray painting the controller white to match the doser. GHL should take note and have options for a white version; can't imagine it's too difficult to have the manufacturers use a white coating for the housing.

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

Yes it does look sweet in white. I am waiting for my next slave doser to set up the AWC function with my doser 2. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of my sps corals have grown a lot and the tank have been through some serious ups and downs over the past several months... I've have a few fish jump on me and my prized sunburst anthias didn't make it as a result of being too shy. The bright metal halide light and strong flow for my sps was not the best environment for him.

The dwindling of my fish count caused some issues with ultra low nutrients. Low bio levels combined with awesome live rock from TBS meant that my biological filter was TOO efficient. So I started to add a few more fish to keep the bio load at a good level. When I thought I hit the sweet spot, I accidentally disconnected one of my dosing lines and all dosing chemicals dumped into the sump overnight (dosing container was at display tank level so there was a natural siphon.

I came out of these disasters with little die off; actually ZERO die off, which is a miracle really... The only thing that is struggle is my green slimer due to high PAR. To help it out, I relocated it, dosed stump remover to increase my nitrates through a controlled method and started to does KZ products to help the tank combat the constant ultra low nutrients.

When people told me that reefing is like a journey of up, down and many learning experiences, I thought I could avoid all the downs by reading everything and being "book-smart"... Man was I wrong... Anyways, here are some pictures for you all!

The rimless look of Elos never gets old...
IMG_5880.jpg

The new stars of the tank
IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

Quick full tank shot (still re-arranging stuff)
IMG_5902.jpg

Now the corals!
IMG_5907.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

More sps pics~

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

My next steps in reef keeping is to burn in my new ATI Powermodule, have a custom metal fabrication made for hanging the light and get more color from my SPS!

Love the elos!! I didn't know they had a diamond line. I had the original midi and loved it. How do you like the dial for the drain? That looks like a neat feature

Love the elos!! I didn't know they had a diamond line. I had the original midi and loved it. How do you like the dial for the drain? That looks like a neat feature

I believe Elos is now producing the diamond line as their new flagship and a less quality version called the Essential line. The quiet drain dial is a set and forget mechanism. I am sure people could find a DIY alternative to do the same thing as the Elos quiet drain, but I just appreciate the well thought out and designed overflow mechanics on the Elos tanks. That said, I am a terrible DIYer... at one point I said screw it and super glues reefbrites onto my metal halides :lolspin:

Lol.
I will be getting back into the Elos realm in the near future. But I will have to accept a office Pico reef for now. Lol

You should take my tank when that day comes! I have been contemplating an upgrade to a larger Elos...

Anyways, my anthias decided to go from peaceful inhabitants to aggressive lil buggers. I'll be taking them out in exchange for a another SINGLE fish.

Anyone have any recommendations on a single beautiful fish that I should add to the tank? Would like a showcasing fish; money isn't a concern unless we are talking about thousands of $$$s...

I love blue star Leopard wrasses! I had one years ago and has always been my favorite. Sometimes they are picky eaters, but mine ate everything but the kitchen sink!

Blotched anthias are awesome as well but you would need to upgrade to a larger tank eventually.

That would be a good time to sell your midi to me :)

Hope everyone and their families had a great Christmas and new year! To start off this year, I decided to take a bunch of photos to keep track of my growth. Speaking of growth, my recent alk spike didn't cause any die off but instead it led to some explosive growth, which I'm happy with.

Enjoy the photos! I should be getting my tripod (my christmas present to myself) to take better quality pictures~

Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_25_40_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_25_23_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_27_33_PM.png

ID anyone?
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_28_58_PM.png

ID Anyone?
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_28_49_PM.png

Pink Lemonade
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_28_25_PM.png

Right side top-down
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_27_55_PM.png

Mystery Bali Tenuis... Time to bake this guy and see how he turns out!
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_27_22_PM.png

Pink Lemonade
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_27_00_PM.png

Sunset Milli
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_26_33_PM.png

SSC
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_26_19_PM.png

Red/Green Milli
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_25_59_PM.png

ID Anyone?
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_25_11_PM.png

Poo monster
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_24_58_PM.png

Red/Green Milli
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_24_42_PM.png

Miyagi Tort
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_24_29_PM.png

Red Dragon
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_24_15_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_24_00_PM.png

Anyone got an ID for this sucker?
Screen_Shot_2017_01_02_at_10_23_36_PM.png

Me gusta the pink lemonade!!!!

:lolspin:It'd look so much nicer if I stop bumping into it as I try to clean my overflow box and knocking off all the growth...

In case anyone wanted to know, I am currently using 2 B+ and 2 C+ combo on my ATI light with full blues and slight white and reds. This combo got me very close to that bright crisp blue radium look that I had before.
Screen_Shot_2017_01_04_at_9_59_25_PM.png

Also... I now have more flow! 2 MP10s on full blast, ~700GPH return and a Tunze 6025. The flow pattern on the waterline is pretty cool.
Screen_Shot_2017_01_04_at_9_59_38_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_01_04_at_9_59_57_PM.png

Decided to try and dabble in video making! Just a quick snippet of my Chromis hiding in the red dragon colony.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F5pO00YwYC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back