H3dgehog's SPS Elos Midi Diamond

P.S. Dont be mad at Neptune. They all do this, Neptune, Ecotech (<-especially), AI, on and on. When you see something successful thats been around awhile discounted. It means they are about to introduce a new version. You can either buy what you like at a discounted price or wait for a new version. Thats the way it works in the reefin' world. Like it or not.:crazy1:

Ditto. ^^^
And you got 15% off!

I know right?! Vinny's been good about keeping me posted about whether Matthias would do a sale or not.

Now the bigger question I whether I spray paint mine white too... So tempting but so scary considering it'll be a nice and new! Not to mention I am horrible with DIYs!

Last edited:
P.S. Dont be mad at Neptune. They all do this, Neptune, Ecotech (<-especially), AI, on and on. When you see something successful thats been around awhile discounted. It means they are about to introduce a new version. You can either buy what you like at a discounted price or wait for a new version. Thats the way it works in the reefin' world. Like it or not.:crazy1:

I'm the kind of consumer who wants the newest thing on the market, so that's a big reason why I was upset when they put out a discount just ~2 weeks before announcing a new product.

IMG_5555.jpg

I'm the kind of consumer who wants the newest thing on the market, so that's a big reason why I was upset when they put out a discount just ~2 weeks before announcing a new product.

Announce first, discount second.

That's the actual honest way of doing business, and the way that pretty much every big company operates.

you don't see car companies discounting their 2016s and then release the 2017s...

Most companies in this hobby are pretty low most of the time IME.

Nice looking tank. How do you like the MH fixture? I'm looking at the same thing for my midi.

Thanks for the compliment!

My SPS are loving the halide. I'll be putting on two reefbrites on them in the next few days for supplement and longer viewing period. The fixture itself is pretty ugly compared to some of the nicer LEDs and the wire is fairly stiff making it a bit challenging to hang correctly. If I could, I'd build a noce floating canopy to match the stand to hide the actual halide from view. Let me know what you decide on!

That is one awesome looking tank! if I may ask, what camera are you using? your pics are sharp and beautiful!

Your tank is coming along nicely.

I bought two Sunburst Anthis yesterday and setup my QT last night and was horrified to see the only pump not working that God they were still alive not moving a bit though.

That is one awesome looking tank! if I may ask, what camera are you using? your pics are sharp and beautiful!

Thanks for the compliment! I'm using a Canon T2i with a cheap Macro attachment (not a full macro lens). I will check when home to see what the actual attachment is called. I should probably invest in a tripod to take clearer shots...

Your tank is coming along nicely.

I bought two Sunburst Anthis yesterday and setup my QT last night and was horrified to see the only pump not working that God they were still alive not moving a bit though.

My Sunburst is fairly shy as well. They get spooked easily and will retreat to its cave and hang out perched either on the side of upside down being perched on the top of the cave (like a bat). Fortunately, mine eats fairly well and will come out and check things out when I'm not flailing my arms around like a mad man :bounce2:

Did you clean up the sump of all the wires already?
which dosing containers are you using?

I'm mirin

Most of the wires on my sump are cleaned up with the exception of a circulation pump for the sump and my skimmer (recently took it out for a clean). For dosing containers, I'm using a DIY container I made from these small containers I found at target. They are really easy to stack and organize. I'll take a picture when I'm home.

So all that aside, I have an update of my own... So I had family come over the long memorial day weekend and everyone was impressed with the tank so far. They had so many questions about everything inside. I secretly enjoyed sitting down next to the tank and explaining what everything was and how I maintain the tank. Fast forward to last night... I put off a water change this weekend since I had a lot of family over. So I decided to pass on it for good if my water tests came out well. Everything looked in line except for phosphate which was at 0.3 with my Hanna Checker! So I kind of freaked out and went ahead with a small water change 10-15%. In addition, I replaced my phosguard media in my TLF media reactor.

AS soon as I turned on the return pump to my sump and the new water entered the display, my SPS were not happy. I attributed this to a potential swing in temperature (I store LFS bought pre-mixed water and store it sealed in a room). I go to sleep and kid you not I had a nightmare that I had a puffer fish die in my tank and all the SPS RTN'd on me. I wake up and checked out the tank. And guess what... SPS are still ****y and one of my favorite ones (blue/green tenuis) was showing necrosis on the base and on stalks at the bottom.

I checked the phosphate level right before I left for work and it was reading 0.00! So I am going to attribute this to a sudden drop in phosphate irritating the corals. I put in a healthy dose of aminos to hopefully increase phosphate to a certain extent. Pray that nothing else RTNs on me... Times like this I sometimes wonder why I gamble a decent chunk of $$ on this hobby when I can easily lose hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of stuff in 24 hours :sad2:

I think it was the new media. I added some high capacity GFO to my reactor one time (I could have rinsed it better), and within minutes of turning my return on one of my acros started to turn pale and showed no polyp extension. It continued to look pale and show little to no PE for a couple of weeks and then RTN'd.

I hope things improve for you.

I sure hope things turn around. A complete system wipe out would be a serious kick to the groins...

I reduced flow to the reactor but might turn it completely off for a few days...

Do you still have the Ai Prime? Is it strong enough for a midi?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I do not have the AI Prime. The AI Prime wasn't really strong enough for my SPS back when I had it on my ADA 30C 12" cube. I'm currently running a 250W Radium driven by a M80 ballast. I should be receiving two 15" Reefbrite strips to supplement it and extend the total viewing time. Since moving some of my legacy SPS pieces into this set up, I got faster growth and better coloration (less brown; probably from reduced shadowing).

As to my dosing container situation... I'm using these cube-like storage containers I found at Target (most likely used to store cereals or snacks). I just drilled a hole to fit the dosing line and another tiny hole to prevent vacuuming. Here's a quick snapshot.
IMG_5632.jpg

I came home and it's now been nearly 24 hours since my Phosphate reducing fiasco. This is the only coral that showed the only REALLY noticeable damage. My guess is that it's position in the tank makes it the first piece to get hit when the return pump turns on. The return hose is pointed to the center front of the tank and this piece is point blank in that water path... Note to self... BE VERY CAREFUL USING PHOSPHATE REMOVER AND ALWAYS CHECK TEMP AND ALK LEVEL OF NEW SALTWATER!!!!!:deadhorse1:
IMG_5589.jpg

All I can say is that this sucks... I think my Bird of Paradise frag does a good job in giving you guys an idea of how I feel right now.
IMG_5606.jpg

Right when my newer fresh SPS were starting to encrust and show promising growth... I just hope they make it through this whole ordeal!
IMG_5619.jpg

But on the bright side... some of the other SPS pieces "SEEM" okay... But I guess time will only tell.
IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5631.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg

On a different note, I'd like to introduce the newest and last member of the tank.
IMG_5640.jpg

And of course the star fish (see what I did there? :lol:) has to have its photo taken!
IMG_5601.jpg

So I was looking at the photos I posted above and was scratching my head as to why they were so blurry given that the focus distance is fairly short. I checked my lens to make sure that there weren't any fingerprint smudges. And to my surprise, I am apparently an idiot. I had my Raynox DCR 250 macro lens converter clipped WITHOUT the actual lens converter, just the housing... :hammer:

So here are some shots I took WITH the macro lens attachment!

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

Last edited:
Back