haddoni anemone not so hot after eating huge meal

NYCBOB

had it for about 1 month. it was nice and inflated the first 3 weeks. even since it ate a dead 2 inch chromis, its been deflated with mouth gaping. today is day 4 since it split out the rest of the chromis it couldnt digest. could a big meal spell doom for carpet? all of my bta and lta are doing great. this is the first time i have kept a haddoni carpet. my magnifica which i acquired 2 weeks ago is doing fine. thanks for any input.

Well, since you just got a magnifica and it sounds like you did not QT either of these nems it's very possible the hadonni could be infected w/ the typical bacterial infection mags often come with, and while your mag may seem fine at this time it could still have a baterial infection that you just have not recognized yet, so I'd watch for periods of deflation.
Another possibility is allelopathy, chem warfare between all those different nems.
I suppose the chromis could have been contaminated w/ something that could have affected it, possibly, not knowing all circumstances, but it's not my first suspicion, and those i listed in order, not knowing your tank params and specs/history.

the chromis died in another tank and i just decided to use it as feed, instead of wasting it. i do run carbon in the tank. sg is 1.025. all corals r fine. fish i qt, but never with corals or inverts. will try to post pics.

A chromis alone should not affect it, but if a chromis had been sick and treated w/ meds I suppose could, not that I'm assuming that's what you did, just a thought, but other than that I highly doubt that is the problem.

Reef tanks are full of bacterial. Dead fish likely fairly full of bacterial (septic) when it died. Even more if it been dead for a few hours.
Two chromis meals is not a big meal. Your Haddoni got sick from eating spoiled food, not because the meal is too big. I hope he will be fine after a little bit. If not you may want to take him out and treat him. Good luck.

Reef tanks are full of bacterial. Dead fish likely fairly full of bacterial (septic) when it died. Even more if it been dead for a few hours.
Two chromis meals is not a big meal. Your Haddoni got sick from eating spoiled food, not because the meal is too big. I hope he will be fine after a little bit. If not you may want to take him out and treat him. Good luck.
I have made this mistake in the past. I only feed fresh human grade fish now.

Back