Hello, Geezer coming back to this forum. Paul B

I got ambitious so I built a quick Steam Punk lamp. I will probably change the bulb.

Steam Punk Lamp.jpg

Lamp Base.jpg

This silly lamp was just a quick "thing" to do with some old parts and only took a few hours. The fish take days and are much more challenging. :unsure:

Paul, I need your input. I’ve recently discovered some copepods chewing on (and killing) some of my SPS. Will pipefish and a mandarin be sufficient to keep them in check? I can try dipping the affected corals, but that really seems futile.

Paul, I need your input. I’ve recently discovered some copepods chewing on (and killing) some of my SPS. Will pipefish and a mandarin be sufficient to keep them in check? I can try dipping the affected corals, but that really seems futile.
😳

A Mandarin will probably eat many of them but I doubt it will eat them all. I also never heard of a copepod eating SPS but I am not the authority on pods.

The pipefish wouldn't be as good as a mandarin. You could also use scooter bleenies, which are really dragonettes.

A Mandarin will probably eat many of them but I doubt it will eat them all. I also never heard of a copepod eating SPS but I am not the authority on pods.

The pipefish wouldn't be as good as a mandarin. You could also use scooter bleenies, which are really dragonettes.
Oh, Scooters, good thought (y)

I found a study somewhere showing around 240ish different species of pods that were parasitic in nature with the hosts making up a large swath of SPS. The protocol for removing something like this entirely is far more than I’m willing to do.
Thank you for your insight here. I hadn’t considered the scooter blenny. The aquarium is very sparsely populated at the moment. A percula clown, cleaner wrasse, and rooster fish are the only fish in a 150 gallon display.

What about interaction between the scooter blenny and other dragonettes (mandarins)? Will they tolerate each other’s presence in the same tank? I’ve never had one before.

I figured these neon gobies were eaten or took a trip as I haven't seen the two of them since I added them a week or two ago. It seems at night, like here, they are all over the place.

Neon Gobies.jpg

Good Morning. Normal but beautiful beach walk this morning.
Rocky beach.jpg

Amphipods are all small so I guess it isn't amphipod season yet so on the next moon low tide I will try again. I got about a hundred but mostly babies so I threw them in my UG filter to grow.

Sunrise.jpg

Back