help!! i need to kill my peppermint shrimps

lucasabao

Hi guys, i've got a huge problem!!!!

i've introduced 20 peppermint shrimps in my sps tank in order to control the parassitic flatworms on my acro's......but they ignore the flatworms and eat my corals!!!!:hammer:

i've tried to catch them out using several traps but they are to clever......then i introduced 2 triggers to eat them but the triggers prefer granules........

does somebody konws any animal which eats them by sure??

Anglers/Frogfish, scorpions, hawkfish, and several of the FOWLER wrasses will all eat shrimp. You need to be careful when putting some of these in your reef tank though. They may not stop at the pepermint shrimp and might finish off all of your inverts and/or small fish. It may be safer to bite the bullet and spend some trying to catch them.

Get some interceptor. It'll take care of your peppermint shrimps and any redbugs that you may have. Of course, all of your crabs and other shrimps are toast too though.

Anglers/Frogfish, scorpions, hawkfish, and several of the FOWLER wrasses will all eat shrimp. You need to be careful when putting some of these in your reef tank though. They may not stop at the pepermint shrimp and might finish off all of your inverts and/or small fish. It may be safer to bite the bullet and spend some trying to catch them.
i don't care, they can eat whatever they want.....nobody can touch my sps whitout beeing destroyed:hammer:
Get some interceptor. It'll take care of your peppermint shrimps and any redbugs that you may have. Of course, all of your crabs and other shrimps are toast too though.
i don't think this is a good idea.....it took me 2 years to get balance in the tank....interceptor will kill all crustaceans and worms as well as you have said already

large wrasses will, my old lunar wrasse would suck them down whole while my tusk prefers to break them in half

Sounds like these may be camel shrimp not peppermints. Best bet is probably some kind of fish to eat them.

Sounds like these may be camel shrimp not peppermints. Best bet is probably some kind of fish to eat them.

I didn't even think of this. I've had numerous peppermints to get rid of aiptasia and have never had an issue. Can the OP snap a picture and post? The two species are often mixed up at the LFS.

Peppermint Shrimp:
peppermintshrimp.jpg

Camel Shrimp:
peppermint-shrimp.jpg

When I wanted to catch mine, I waited till night and lights out except for LED moonlights so I could see. I put a clear drinking glass down on the sand laid sideways. I had some pellet food in the glass. I held a piece of clear flat acrylic near the opening of the glass, hovered over the opening. The greedy shrimp eventually went in to get some food, and I quickly covered the drinking glasses opening with the acrylic. Caught!

Has anyone had luck killing red bugs without using interceptor? Most of the time unless treated the corals I have heard people talk about would be complete losses after enough time goes by =\

Lionfish might eat the shrimps.

the hawk fish will do it just dont feed him so he feels the need to hunt his food also a velvet nudibranch will take care of your flatworms.

Get a big net. Get a piece of raw shrimp or clam. Put it IN the net, near the glass, and when they're securely in, calmly turn the net against the glass, pull to the surface, and bag the blighters for return to the lfs. If this doesn't net you a few peps per try, I'll be surprised. There are some smells they don't resist.

We are thinking about adding a Yellow Watchman Gobie but read that they eat Peppermint Shrimp and we have one to keep the astipia (sp) down. So if you get a large YWG and your PS are small enough, I believe it will eat them but is otherwise peaceful in the reef environment-- according to my Marine Fish book. :)

When I wanted to catch mine, I waited till night and lights out except for LED moonlights so I could see. I put a clear drinking glass down on the sand laid sideways. I had some pellet food in the glass. I held a piece of clear flat acrylic near the opening of the glass, hovered over the opening. The greedy shrimp eventually went in to get some food, and I quickly covered the drinking glasses opening with the acrylic. Caught!

Get a big net. Get a piece of raw shrimp or clam. Put it IN the net, near the glass, and when they're securely in, calmly turn the net against the glass, pull to the surface, and bag the blighters for return to the lfs. If this doesn't net you a few peps per try, I'll be surprised. There are some smells they don't resist.

i've tried both systems, no way!!

those evils are very big and very clever....and very hungry!!:hammer::hammer:

My pocillipora was doing poorly for a week now, looking like it had polyps yanked out.

I came back from class to find my peppermints yanking the polyps out. :eek1::eek1::eek1:

I guess I'm going to be spending this weekend trying to catch them.

Back