Help loosing Sps new tank :(

ReefSultan

Hi All

I have very new tank almost 2 months old
I am having 3 weeks brown algae bloom which is normal for a new tank yes but I worry to loose some of my sps

I have one forest fire digitada it started to cover by brown algae and I brushed it , coral didn't like this and now more algae on it

I had so aggressive flow in 110x60x50 cm tank with 2 Mp40w qd , 2 radion xr30 g4 10 hours photo period with 8 hours peak of 50% intensity with SPS AB+ schedule

Algae is like a brown film but due to the flow it collects together and look like a stringy in some areas

I have 3 astrea snails and 3 conch

I don't want to loose this SPS

Btw algae gets crazy on day time and as you will see from photos in the morning very less

I changed wave flow a bit so now snails and fish easy can go problematic algae area

I have stacked media reactor zeolit+carbon +gfo from first day. My parameters good NO3 Po4 zero

I have seen reduced intensity of led helped brown algae battle but I increased again as I afraid to loose sps

I do 10% wc and I add bacteria also

I have BK DC 200 as skimmer

Please check photos how clean it looks in most of the parts in the morning and evening brown algae will
Cover more and most worry is that sps will still have algae in it :(

There are less quantity of bubbles on the algae not really like I saw Dino blooms and it is clear my CUC (6 snails ) and Tangs are eating this brown algae

Let me know what should I do or just wait and see? If sps die we can count as learning curve maybe? thank you :)

356501862ae349a8c946ce5988578e31.jpg
70d4bb65e3dd7a5216335cc8697c2a80.jpg
98ae0a0cace5e5a9cf10839ad9334a8d.jpg
4ac17af02596eebf8c60602010076873.jpg
2b6ad089f980bae34d5bac9645b61544.jpg
6dcec428380e567d5e4102251e40b748.jpg
e83bbe0ba3482f1dc54e09bb8b693c36.jpg

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

The tank is very young, likley unstable, not a great place for SPS.
I doubt it was fully cocked, what are all your current parameters?

As stated, your tank is new and an algae bloom like that is typical. I would make sure your makeup water TDS of 0. I tended to do less frequent water changes with a higher percentage of water when my tank was new. Lastly, my montipora prefer less light and I have them lower in the tank. Keep your Ca and Alk in check. Good luck!

2 months is still pretty new for a setup, even one that used livesand and liverock, but it looks like you went all dry/dead rock/sand, which will take even longer to get stabilized

OP, I know this isn't a good situation, but I would use this as an opportunity to regroup, do a LOT of reading/research, and then give it another shot down the road when your system and parameters are more stable.

What you are trying to accomplish is far from impossible, but it does take a lot of planning, attention, and persistence to do successfully. Do a big water change, and get through the "ugly" stages of the tank. Try out a couple of the more forgiving LPS corals and softies to get a good feel of things. Once things are VERY stable, maybe 6 months down the line, give SPS another shot. I have a feeling you'll be much more successful.

Thanks for all your comments and reply
I will keep you updated if I can manage to keep SPS alive

I think I am miss lead by LFS and stock SPS earlier

Cheers

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Btw any comment about the algae type.. it is clear ugly period etc..only cure is time and continue maintenance or any other suggestions. ? Is this diatom or Dino.? Early morning it is clear but now everywhere is brown in tank..should I reduce lightening intensity or period or let it go like this? Any suggestions how to remove algae from sps ? I have high flow there kind of turkey blaster effect already.

Thanks

Tapatalk kullanarak iPad aracılığıyla gönderildi

Almost impossible to have success with SPS in a young tank. A tank should be about 1.5 years old, possibly 1 year, but the older the better for SPS.

Start doing some research on raising SPS.

You might move all your coral and your 'good' light to a quarantine tank, set coral on eggcrate lighting grid, and just keep it in the purest best clean saltwater you can manage.That tank is trying to finish a secondary sort of bio-cycle, in which it undergoes several blooms of algaes and other life that is taking advantage of spare nutrients. It deprives the coral of light, at worst, and getting coral to a clean bright tank would help. Your fish can stay where he is.

Almost impossible to have success with SPS in a young tank. A tank should be about 1.5 years old, possibly 1 year, but the older the better for SPS.

Start doing some research on raising SPS.

Have a 5month tank and it's sps only and there doing great. It's all about keeping parameters on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back