Help with sharks

Taahirs

Right guys. So I've got an empty tank. Just under 400g excl sump, about 450 incl.

Having done the whole sps thing it's time to go predator. Got a tunze 9430 skimmer rated for 800g. Think this should be good.

Looking at getting one type of shark. Epaulette, coral cat shark or Hasselts bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium hasseltii)

So the plan is to keep the shark with :

Blue spotted ray
Miniatus Grouper
Orange spotted Rabbitfish
Trio of convict tangs
Unicorn tang
Harlequin tusk
Oriental sweetlips

Could someone also advise the compatibility of blue throat triggers, Volitans lionfish, Quoyi Parrot fish and Snowflake eels. Oh, and an emperor angel.

Maybe I could substitute some of those in.

Thanks.

No experience with sharks, but I have heard many of cases where Triggers and Angelfish are known for picking at the eyes of sharks and stingrays, also picks at the fins of Lionfish. Maybe something to read up on. Don't really know how the eel and shark compatibility would be like.

Tangs, angels and triggers/puffers are best left out of tanks with sharks. They will pick at the skin and eyes causing complete loss or infection, which will lead to death more than likely.

Hasselts shark
Epaulette shark
Cortez/Blue dot stingray
Snowflake eel
Volitans lionfish
Miniatus Grouper
Oriental sweetlips
Harlequin tusk
Naso tang
Striped squirrelfish

Leave the hasselts, they are know for doing poorly in captivity. Same goes for the blue dot stingray.

The sweetlips will get butt ugly when it's full grown, that's if it gets to adult size, they have a poor survival rate. Coral cats are really neat though and seem to be very sociable with their own kind, unless it's two males. One male with multiple females is ok.

OK, maybe replace it with a coral cat shark? Seems like a nice small species and harder than most?

I would be pming alprazo or greisum and asking this question. You will get real world answers from people actually keeping the Sharks you mentioned.

OK, maybe replace it with a coral cat shark? Seems like a nice small species and harder than most?

A coral catshark is a much better choice, and is a really cool little shark. They are fairly hardy too. Most benthic sharks scoot around the bottom, where the coral catshark swims about the water column. They'll still spend most of there time under an overhang or in a rock cave where they feel secure.

^ I agree, Coral (27ish inches) or even the smaller Marbeled Catshark (24in) are the smallest species u'll come across. They will hide themselves in whatever rock u hav but at night they have been known to swim constantly, like a requiem wld

Back